The Night Of (HBO)

AncalagonTheBlack

I think Freddy will get Naz to smuggle in drugs for him as he lost his supplier earlier in the episode. There is such a sense of dread around this show, the atmosphere is so well done. Have to think hiring that big lawyer will bite Nas in the ass but it was kind of a no brainer for his parents.

1 hour ago, Ramsay Blow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm intrigued too and figured Naz was gonna ask him why, but he never did.

Another really solid episode. Gonna be interesting to see how Stone gets back into the fold. Maybe the whole "prop" dig with Crowe's assistant will pay off, or just the fact that Naz prefers him. I liked how Stone went to the DA to talk business and she just gave him a suit recommendation. 

Maybe he'll get back on the case somehow when he approaches Naz's new lawyers about the grand theft auto charge on behalf of the cab's other owners. I'm not sure exactly how that would work but they did get his card. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

Maybe he'll get back on the case somehow when he approaches Naz's new lawyers about the grand theft auto charge on behalf of the cab's other owners. I'm not sure exactly how that would work but they did get his card. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. 

This whole episode was a bit odd. 

I fully expected the veal to be pork at first, like he was fucking with him for being Muslim for some reason. Using him to smuggle in drugs is really the only motivation I can think of, but I don't even know how that would work. His parents are the only people coming in to see him and they're subject to the same searches as anyone else so Freddy might as well just have someone bring it to him direct if that's how he's gonna replace the CO. That is assuming Naz could (or is even willing to) convince his parents to smuggle shit into the prison which wouldn't make sense at all. Must be another reason he needs him.

I enjoyed last night's episode.

Continuing the massive spoiler tag that is this thread,

Spoiler

I'm not sure what exactly Freddy's angle is. Part of me wants to believe he has at least some insider knowledge of the murder: gossip, ordered the hit, rivals did, etc. Part of me wants to believe he's not completely heartless and is taking pity on Naz. However, it's probably not altruistic; there is some angle for him taking an interest and offering to help.

I would love to watch Stone's reaction to any possible conversation with Salim's taxi partners concerning the seizure of the cab.

And Crowe "stealing" Naz as a client was no surprise. It was obvious from her first appearance that she was after high-profile cases to get her and her firm some publicity. You can't blame Naz's parents, however, for going with Crowe over Stone. That scene where Naz fired Stone was excellent. However, Naz has no agency, but that is the point. It will be interesting to see if he ever does have any sort of control.

Lots of emphasis on the cat. There is one in the opening credits. Andrea let the cat out before letting her cat out, A cat with a bell around it's neck crossed the street behind Salim at the end of Ep 1. The CSU tech told Box there is a cat around in case he was itching. Ep 3 seemed to show how the cat got in and out throught he back door, and Now the cat has 10 days left in the shelter.

Perhaps the cat did it.

Some things that might help Naz with his defense

The witness stated the break in was around 2, and the cops that picked up Naz told the investigators about 2 o clock. but their Dashcam recorded him being pulled over at 1:36 AM.

Trevor lied to Box about being alone when he and his buddy confronted Naz and Andrea

The chain of custody on the knife, clothes and shoes are in question because the cops just gave the evidence to the dispatcher

No blood on Naz,

The inhaler had no blood on it and Box removed it from the crime scene and gave it to Naz

The blood on Naz's hand is his own and not Andrea's

The fact that Naz is left handed may have some bearing.

57 minutes ago, fixitwilya said:

Lots of emphasis on the cat. There is one in the opening credits. Andrea let the cat out before letting her cat out, A cat with a bell around it's neck crossed the street behind Salim at the end of Ep 1. The CSU tech told Box there is a cat around in case he was itching. Ep 3 seemed to show how the cat got in and out throught he back door, and Now the cat has 10 days left in the shelter.

Perhaps the cat did it.

When Andrea let the cat out the night of, the gate didn't close all the way, but it was closed later and the cat couldn't get back in.  Naz went out the front door, so someone else closed the back gate after Andrea put out the cat.    Unfortunately for Naz, only we, the audience, know this.  No one in the story, other than the killer and the cat, knows it.

I'm two episodes in and the thing I love most about this is the cinematography and direction.  That's what's really bringing out the intensity of the situation IMO.  Naz w/ a blank wall background.  Closeups of the scratched table.  The changes in focus.  The parts where absolutely no dialogue is said, but so much is still being told.

Just love it.

3 hours ago, Commodore said:

why would being a rapist/murderer make Naz a target of other prisoners?

Child molesters and rapists get special treatment in prison by the rest of the inmates. And it seems Freddy is using this to his advantage.

coming attractions shows someone other than Freddy giving Naz some advice

Naz is scared and isolated.

Spoiler

Then, Freddy knows he would do anything to save himself, even if it involves getting in touch with pakistani criminals.

And that would throw Naz into a even deeper ditch of suspicion and prejudice.

Maybe this how he will loose his new lawyer and get back to John Turturro.

On 7/25/2016 at 11:34 AM, Ckram said:

Episode 3 was as predictable as episode 1.

I do feel like there's a bit of wheel-spinning going on.

The scenes in the prison are tense, but at the same time it feels a bit like the show is dragging its heels. 

I feel like things are gonna be happening in rapid fire towards the end of the series which might mean certain discoveries/victories feel unearned.

1 hour ago, fixitwilya said:

Child molesters and rapists get special treatment in prison by the rest of the inmates. And it seems Freddy is using this to his advantage.

coming attractions shows someone other than Freddy giving Naz some advice

meh, I'm skeptical that being a rapist is a stigma in prison

It is interesting that this is based on a 5-episode British series but it's being done as 8 episodes. That may have something to do with it feeling like it's dragging things out a bit. 

That said, I have no idea how closely they're following the original series plot or whether additional plot points are being added to pad out the extra three episodes or not. 

in a traditional crime show we see the detective trying to figure it out, but here it almost seems like Box's work is done as far as he's concerned

so by what mechanism will the real killer be discovered? who's working it?

33 minutes ago, Commodore said:

meh, I'm skeptical that being a rapist is a stigma in prison

I could believe it. It'd just be an extension of the treatment child molesters get. Freddy even says something like killing four men over drugs is one thing but raping and murdering a girl is something else. When he's talking about the second judicial system inside Rikers that has already found Naz guilty. Though I think a lot of it is the high profile nature of the case, and the fact that Naz is who he is. 

17 minutes ago, Commodore said:

in a traditional crime show we see the detective trying to figure it out, but here it almost seems like Box's work is done as far as he's concerned

so by what mechanism will the real killer be discovered? who's working it?

Stone, maybe? Though it wouldn't suprise me if it was just dumb luck. Or the real killer could be caught for another crime and confess or be tied to the murder somehow. There probably should be DNA at the crime scene that is not Naz's or the dead girl's. 

Stone finds something that calls Box's whole theory into question, gives/tells it to Box. Box is dismissive at first because he's got his man, but it eats at his conscience. Eventually he has to take a closer look for himself and thereby undermines his own initial investigation. This causes strife with the DA since he promised her it was airtight and now he's screwing with her case. 

Archived