What's the bravest line uttered in the series so far?

For me, the honour goes to a man who goes to a city to rally support for the man he believes in despite everything, finds himself surrounded by enemies, has one of them tell a blatant falsity about an atrocity and then, in response, says only this:

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

7 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

For me, the honour goes to a man who goes to a city to rally support for the man he believes in despite everything, finds himself surrounded by enemies, has one of them tell a blatant falsity about an atrocity and then, in response, says only this:

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

Considering how much bullshit the story the Freys were telling, I wouldn't say that was especially brave of Davos.

If anything, the captured Stannis knight talk-shitting Joffrey after the Blackwater was considerably braver.

It all happened off-screen too, but I do suppose Baelor Blacktyde standing up for Theon's claim against Euron was pretty damned brave.

Drogon roared full in her face, his breath hot enough to blister skin. Off to her right Dany heard Barristan Selmy shouting, “Me! Try me. Over here. Me!” - ADwD p. 698

Selmy tries to goad a DRAGON into attacking him to protect his queen. It is more than a little crazy, but definitely brave.

Seven, Brienne thought again, despairing. She had no chance against seven, she knew. No chance, and no choice.

She stepped out into the rain, Oathkeeper in hand. "Leave her be. If you want to rape someone, try me." (AFFC Brienne VII)

23 minutes ago, Sullen said:

Considering how much bullshit the story the Freys were telling, I wouldn't say that was especially brave of Davos.

If anything, the captured Stannis knight talk-shitting Joffrey after the Blackwater was considerably braver.

It's brave of Davos because, like the unnamed Stannis knight, he will die a horrible death if he says the wrong thing. He's facing three Freys and a compliant Manderly court. He stands up for the truth, knowing the Freys will want him dead, and Wyman will not defend him. And he does it anyway.

10 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

It's brave of Davos because, like the unnamed Stannis knight, he will die a horrible death if he says the wrong thing. He's facing three Freys and a compliant Manderly court. He stands up for the truth, knowing the Freys will want him dead, and Wyman will not defend him. And he does it anyway.

I doubt Manderly would have cared much if Davos called Jared a liar, even in Davos's mind, Davos doesn't stand a chance to be pardoned the same way the knight was as well.

And let's be honest, the Lannisters/Joffrey have a much worse reputation than Manderly as far as cruel punishment goes, most people just see him as a fat oaf.

44 minutes ago, Make Shadowbabies Not War said:

I always liked "dance with me then". Confronted with the most terrifying beings in Westoros, the man went down bravely, He must have known he was going to die, but he gained a lot of respect.

I agree. Waymar Royce was an arrogant young man, but when faced with an Other, something that filled all the Children of the Forest and the First Men with terror, and causes veteran members of the Nights Watch to flee, he draws his sword and says "Dance with me, then". Foolish? Oh yes. Brave? Definitely.

I don't think it deserves the title "bravest line in the entire series" by far but I still liked Barristan's " 'Come then' said Ser Barristan the Bold" when facing Khrazz.

The man being known as brave shouldn't take away the braveness of this particular quote imo 

Penrose was great and so was Waymar, but I have to give the line to Barristan at a different scene:

"Even now I could cut through the five of you like carving a cake!"

He was just dismissed and is surrounded by enemies including an agitated king yet he lays down that line with such force.

I think Wylla' speech in that Davos scene deserves a mention. Also the Stannis supporters continuing to insult Joffrey in court after the Blackwater, when many of their comrades had already just been executed.

"On my Honour as a Tully, on my honour as a Stark, I will trade your boy's life for Robb's. A son for a son." 

4 hours ago, Sullen said:

It all happened off-screen too, but I do suppose Baelor Blacktyde standing up for Theon's claim against Euron was pretty damned brave.

Can you please not derail another bloody thread with debates about your opinion on Stannis when that isnt what the OP asked?

On a side note, it's not a brave line, but Clayton Suggs performs a very brave action when he faces down approaching riders all by himself, yelling at Asha to go warn Stannis of the Boltons' attack. This brutal, vulgar man who loves to torture and burn people, is suddenly given a whole new layer by this completely selfless act in defence of his King. He's not just a common thug, because if that was the case, Stannis would have had him killed. He's genuinely loyal to Stannis, even when it means losing his life to defend him.

Archived