Do you think we could stop "rocking" things?

Weeping Sore

I don't mean chairs, or the boat, or society to its very foundations. Mainly clothes or shoes or some kind of accessory. Can we just go back to wearing these things instead of rocking them? And while we're at it, can we stop being "rock stars" too? I mean if you work in IT, you're not a rock star, right? You probably make more money than the average rock star, tbh. Isn't rock a little passé as a musical genre, anyway? Can't we come up with a new metaphor? Actually, forget the new metaphor; it would probably also be stupid. Just, you know, yes I like your top and your sunglasses and your shoes. Just don't rock them at me please.

26 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

And while we're at it, can we stop being "rock stars" too? I mean if you work in IT, you're not a rock star, right? 

Now that one works for me, as it's basically a compliment to the person's effectiveness at their job. At my work we have a pool of like 3-4 IT guys. Whenever we have an issue with the computers or printers or whatever, I'm always relieved when this one particular older gentlemen comes by to address it. He's a fucking Rockstar. 9 times out of 10, when it's one of the younger guys that shows up, it's 45 minutes of hemming and hawing, only to call in the Rockstar who typically fixes the issue in 5-10 minutes.

Rock stars put on a show and then spend the rest of their time trashing hotel rooms and abusing drugs. It's not like they are the embodiment of "git-r-done". It sounds like your "rockstar" is simply hyper-competent; if we insist on a musical metaphor, more like a virtuoso than a term indicating fame, sound and fury. I mean I get that it's become common parlance to mean "great".

4 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

Rock stars put on a show and then spend the rest of their time trashing hotel rooms and abusing drugs. It's not like they are the embodiment of "git-r-done". It sounds like your "rockstar" is simply hyper-competent; if we insist on a musical metaphor, more like a virtuoso than a term indicating fame, sound and fury. I mean I get that it's become common parlance to mean "great".

"She's a real studio musician.  Like, James Jamerson caliber."

For sure.

I mean my outfit gets a bad rap but I think it's pretty jazzed up with all different shades of blues. Even though the Nike Cortez are very classical fashion, they are instrumental in complimenting the entire soul of the outfit. All in all I think it's a very progressive look that meets the industrial standards of new age fashion.

13 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

For sure.

I mean my outfit gets a bad rap but I think it's pretty jazzed up with all different shades of blues. Even though the Nike Cortez are very classical fashion, they are instrumental in complimenting the entire soul of the outfit. All in all I think it's a very progressive look that meets the industrial standards of new age fashion.

When I put on my clothes I call it ragtime.

I guess my feeling is that this bit of slang should have already died but hasn't. While the ones you mention are admittedly annoying, I don't want to get into an intergenerational/ interethnic struggle; I'm targeting people like me, too old to really still be cool, but clinging to pathetic vestiges.

i would wholeheartedly support not "rocking things"  provided that we also pass a resolution that use of the words "hits me right in the feels" when someone really means "this action produces in me a complex series of emotions" is also banned. 

How many ways are there to say wearing the shit out of something.

There's "sporting" but that's worse than "rocking"

And there's "pimping" which is probably politically incorrect at this point.

There's "don" which makes it seem like you are going to a medieval coronation.

Not much else I can think of

Archived