US Elections 2016: The END IS NEAR

Kalbear

7 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

There is already early voting that is sort of baking in some of these results (see, for instance, North Carolina that has a large number of early voters).

Early voting definitely helps the more organized campaign because they can keep track of who says they've already voted and target their GOTV efforts on those that are left.  Most important early voting states:

Colorado - 61% voted early in 2012

Florida - 51%

Iowa - 39%

Nevada - 69%

North Carolina - 60%

Ohio - 28%

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

Oh certainly its possible that the left can go off the rails. And certainly, some on the left can do something really dumb, like that person that went on somebody else's property and destroyed a Trump sign.

It's just this point at time, it's one side that has gone nuts. And claims of "well, well, both sides are just as bad" are nonsense. Douthat can sit there say, "but, but the left can go nuts too!", but that misses the fact, it's one side that has generally gone of its rocker while one side hasn't.

Trumpenstein wasn't just something that came out of the blue in some kind of random fashion. Trumpenstein is the result of process that has been going on for a while now.

OGE,

I'm not saying the left is off the rails.  I'm saying don't get blindsided.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just an FYI on South Carolina.  We don't have "early voting" but if you are going to be out of town on election day you can vote at your local election board before election day.  I did that for the Democratic primary.

You voted in the Democratic primary?

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

OGE,

I'm not saying the left is off the rails.  I'm saying don't get blindsided.

Oh I agree. Fortunately, facts tend to have a liberal bias. So there is no need for wackiness.

4 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

A left-wing Trump? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_Long

And look how far you had to dig back for that.

Shit, what's the closest thing you've seen recently, Sanders? And he wasn't anything close to a Trump. Or even a Palin. Or a Goldwater. Or a Nixon.

And funnily enough, the demographics of the Democratic Party that the New Republic article Martell Spy linked talks about are basically one of the biggest reasons he lost too. In some ways demonstrating the overall point.

Anyway, today in Trump:

He STILL can't let go of anything. He was banging on this week about the Central Park 5:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/06/politics/reality-check-donald-trump-central-park-5/index.html

"They admitted they were guilty," Trump said this week in a statement to CNN's Miguel Marquez. "The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same."
Since Trump obviously still believes that the Central Park 5 are guilty, it cannot be said he is lying or even misleading. But he is undoubtedly holding steadfast to an opinion in the face of DNA evidence to the contrary and the fact that the Central Park 5 have been exonerated by the legal system.

For those not aware of the case, back in 1989 a women was raped and murdered in Central Park. The NY police, in their infinite shittiness, rounded up 5 teens and basically deprived them of food and sleep till they extracted confessions. There was zero other evidence against them beyond "they were in the park at the time". 

Years later, of course, it would turn out all were innocent as they had claimed at all points where they weren't being tortured when the actual culprit, a convicted rapist and murderer, admitted to the crime and his DNA actually matched the semen found on the victim.

This of course did not stop Trump from taking out a full page add in 4 major New York newspapers for his screed "Bring Back The Death Penalty. Bring Back Our Police!" whose authoritarian and disgusting contents I'm sure you can guess at from the title.

Despite the 5 being exonerated almost 15 years ago now, Trump is still, this week, claiming they are guilty. And one guesses from his very vocal feelings on the issue in print, deserve to die.

PS - I don't even need to tell you what race these 5 boys were, do I?

So yeah, that's your Trump. Again. You shouldn't be shocked.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I did.  There was no one I could bring myself to vote for in the Republican Primary.

Setting aside your wild and unbelievable claim that South Carolina held a democratic primary, I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Republican. How'd you manage that?

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Setting aside your wild and unbelievable claim that South Carolina held a democratic primary, I thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Republican. How'd you manage that?

? I wonder how on earth if you've been reading these boards for a while you think Scot is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican. Personally I think of him as a libertarian-leaning Independent (less radical than big-L true Libertarians, but his conservatism is more on the libertarian than the traditional side, it seems to me.)

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

? I wonder how on earth if you've been reading these boards for a while you think Scot is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican. Personally I think of him as a libertarian-leaning Independent (less radical than big-L true Libertarians, but his conservatism is more on the libertarian than the traditional side, it seems to me.)

If you vote for the R, you're a Republican. Dyed-in-the-wool may have been a bit extreme, but the difference is negligible.

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Yup.  I've never joined any party.

SerP,

Yes.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/donald-trump-town-hall-debate-prep-229267

On Thursday night, Howie Carr, a conservative radio host and Trump booster, played the role of moderator, and the crowd was hand-picked by his campaign. The audience didn’t even ask Trump their questions. Carr did so on their behalf. Before the event, Carr had said Trump would take 20 questions. He stayed for about a dozen.

And while Sunday’s debate will stretch for 90 minutes without a bathroom break, Trump bolted from his town hall in Sandown after barely more than one-third of that time.

Trump’s campaign did place a two-minute countdown clock in front of their candidate on Thursday. He repeatedly blew past that time limit anyway.

“I said forget debate prep. I mean, give me a break,” Trump said at one point. “Do you really think that Hillary Clinton is debate-prepping for three or four days. Hillary Clinton is resting, okay?”

Yet even without the duress of an opponent, independent moderators and anything but softball questions from supporters, Trump struggled to drive any type of cohesive message, either about himself as a change agent or Clinton’s shortcomings.

Instead, he whacked at CNN’s John King, CNBC’s John Harwood, polling analyst Nate Silver and Republican Sen. Mark Kirk. He digressed about how Hispanics in Nevada would rather be called Latinos. He kept complaining about his microphone at the last debate.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can i just say how impressive you all are for still having the energy to talk about this.  I am fatigued as fuck by the US election and it probably gets 1% of the coverage over here that it gets over there.

We're into the homestretch. Almost over, thank the old gods and the new.

Archived