US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

Just now, Castel said:

Then they are stupid.

But I don't even like to argue on those terms because I don't accept the framing,I think the entire  "people are voting cause coastal elites mock them" is far, far more elitist and arrogant. At least disdain is honest, this comes wrapped in the cloak of piety with some pretty bad presuppositions when you really look at it. Not to mention some of which are just dubious in general: we have this discussion once a week: the strongest Trump supporters in the primary were not the downtrodden, no matter how much people want it to be so. 

I saw this plenty with other Democrats and before the caucus with other Bernie supporters, it  wasn't limited to just white male Trump voters, only then it was wrapped up in smugness hoping that Republicans would burn themselves down, and a general attitude that Trump winning the nomination would be funny instead of disturbing. I think that plenty of people who are now going around sanctimoniously talking about how they voted for Bernie or Hillary or not-Trump were right there in the crowd swallowing the entertainment with faux shock. 

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think there's a bit of a tendency for supporters of left leaning parties to do that whenever people for candidates to the right of centre, which is perhaps a bit over the top, but Trump is absolutely horrific, I really can't see how people can vote for him. Still, it's looking very misguided of the DNC to so heavily back a candidate in Clinton who was so unpopular with a significant number of voters.

Remember that to a lot of conservatives, they have spent the past decade thinking of Clinton as this forum does of Trump, just with different adjectives.  No matter how much I hated Trump, I wouldn't vote Clinton. I went third party (I'm not exactly in a swing state). I went for down-ballot. 

4 minutes ago, Castel said:

Then they are stupid.

But I don't even like to argue on those terms because I don't accept the framing,I think the entire  "people are voting cause coastal elites mock them" is far, far more elitist and arrogant. At least disdain is honest, this comes wrapped in the cloak of piety with some pretty bad presuppositions when you really look at it. Not to mention some of which are just dubious in general: we have this discussion once a week: the strongest Trump supporters in the primary were not the downtrodden, no matter how much people want it to be so. 

The problem with this argument about "being looked down upon" is that the people complaining about it, often are quick to do it to other groups. So there is some real hypocrisy there.

I'm basically a hillbilly. So I sometimes do hear this complaint. And while there is some truth to it, I always point out that the people that complain about it, are quick to do it to other groups. If you want respect, you have to give a little first.

5 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

They are not polled much for they are not young and interesting.

Really? You really think people are not getting polled? If anything the entire primary and since everyone has been very gingerly moving around the issue of trade deals and so on. If you think that they were not in fact aware of it (how then the charge of Hillary flip-flopping on TPP stands I don't know) then I don't know what to tell you.

The Democratic party needs to do some soul-searching, no doubt, but at a certain point don't you think you're being a bit hyperbolic? "They're are not polled cause they're not young and interesting"...when the most reliable voters are older. 

18 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

That's just the problem though. They are feeling squeezed and crushed by economic issues and people didn't seem to be listening to them until Sanders came along. White working class voters aren't revolutionaries--they want something too, and when the focus is on marginalized groups--a lot of these people feel like their concerns are being ignored, or worse, that they're somehow being blamed for the marginalization of said groups.

To say fuck them is exactly why people like Trump are able to manipulate them. They have nowhere to turn. The arrogance of the democratic party has turned them away.

As far as conspiracy theories--well, the conspiracy was real. Just doesn't matter anymore and isn't worth arguing. Clinton is a far better choice than Trump. She's honestly a good choice overall. I wish she would have felt the need to connect with those groups.

Well now they can feel how squeezed they'll truly be. So fuck them even more and harder. 

11 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

So for anyone that lives in California, unless the internet is lying to me you did legalize the recreational use of marahwana. Good for you.

But there's a grey area between the states and the DEA, so who knows where that goes.

4 minutes ago, Eponine said:

I saw this plenty with other Democrats and before the caucus with other Bernie supporters, it  wasn't limited to just white male Trump voters

Sorry, saw what? I find it hard to parse this.Might be the sleepiness.

Trump is the Stannis of American politics. He will beat back the Mexican wildings and build a Wall for the Knights watch border patrol. He will like Stannis be a dick at times but he will inspire great loyalty and do his best for the country and all its people.  

Just now, DraculaAD1972 said:

Trump is the Stannis of American politics. He will beat back the Mexican wildings and build a Wall for the Knights watch border patrol. He will like Stannis be a dick at times but he will inspire great loyaly and do his best for the country and all its people.  

I'm conservative.  I'm of the opinion that either of these two dipshits is absolutely horrible, but for very different reasons.  But please don't insult Stannis.  Trump is somewhere just a little south of Joffrey IMO, without the absolute pure sadism. 

1 minute ago, Castel said:

Sorry, saw what? I find it hard to parse this.Might be the sleepiness.

The desire to see things burn down. Saying fuck all politicians. More interest in tearing down the establishment than wanting to do the work of being constructively involved. 

3 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Hopefully 4 years go by very fast. I refuse to watch any speech given by Trump and will ignore politics for the next 4 years. 

But am really looking into moving to Canada. 

You can't really ignore politics, though.  It's something that happens to you.  

Just now, Dr. Pepper said:

You can't really ignore politics, though.  It's something that happens to you.  

I think I have a duty, no matter how small, to beat back the nonsense that is Donald Trump.

I'm certainly much more inclined to start thrashing Trump supporters when they start talking nonsense, which will likely be often.

Archived