US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

22 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Google just called PA for Trump. 

Google is showing me 264/270 for Trump. I am so disillusioned with my country right now.

Edit: And the truly fucked up thing? As a white male in this country I will without a doubt suffer the least amount of consequences from this night. 

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I went to bed early and just woke up... Please tell me this isn't real

I'd love for this all to just be a dream of yours, even if that means my entire existence is nothing more than some words on a screen in a dream.

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

Google is showing me 264/270 for Trump. I am so disillusioned with my country right now.

83% reporting
Votes
48%
47%

As of now, he's winning the popular vote as well, although that's without 17% reported. 

I still just can't believe it.  I mean, I know it's true.  I said it was likely to happen months ago and explained several reasons and attacks Trump would use.  I remember one certain member harassing me non stop about it.  But deep down I didn't really think it could happen.  Or maybe I just hoped so much that the majority of the country was at least mildly decent.  

I feel that on a personal level I am experiencing a great ironic moment. I hope it's not.

I've been in this country for over 14 years, (legally, for anyone who wonders) and finally last month I became eligible to apply for the Green Card. Such a happy moment. I've even got a receipt already from USCIS, and an appointment for biometrics screening. Finally after so long, I was able to hope that I can call America my home for the rest of my life. And now this... smh 

Just now, Eponine said:

I don't think that it's the only reason, but I do think there's a valid disconnect that's widened when people are labeled by demographic and then labeled as stupid, giving people who don't think the way you do little reason to engage with you either. 

It's not just about why other people vote the way they do but also why Democrats as a party find that their message isn't reaching them, or isn't coming across as hoped. 

My take is that a lot of progressives seriously underestimate how polarized the country is.

Sure, the Democratic presidential nominee should be able to win any election but I fear that a lot of progressives are living in a demographic fantasyland with the core GOP support if they believe those people can be taken.

It's been this way since the primaries; the discussion of some supposed mass of GOP untermenschen dancing to Trump's tune cause the Democratic party abandoned them. Again: it's not how his support looks economically (they're wealthier than Sanders supporters)  and,even if it were true, what makes you think that these were your people until you abandoned them?

Sure, Clinton may have suppressed turnout amongst more favorable groups but people need to consider, amongst whatever they perceive as Trump's core group,  that they're being vain by believing that the song is about them, so to speak. 

These people were not Democrats (well,maybe not since the Southern Strategy) and it's not cause someone was mean to them. If they were so inclined they'd be Bernie Sanders voters. A lot of these guys are the same types who pile in come midterms to block any of Obama's moves and listen to Fox News and worry about Obamacare's death panels.The Democrats didn't lose them cause they were not the Democrat's to lose. As the media gets more polarized and everyone can go on Facebook and see only information that confirms their views people get put farther and farther away from one another.

Put it this way: you're talking about mean WORDS, the GOP has been empowered by it's base to more and more ridiculous heights of obstructionism. In practice the GOP has been far "ruder" and more confrontational to the Dems than the other way around. Was it Democratic smugness that had the GOP saying horrid shit about Obama and Hillary.

I honestly believe "libby libs" would simply rather believe this than the alternative. It's like the kids playing in their little alternative school where you share the sandbox and talk out your problems. Someone from a rough public school shows up, punches you in the nose just...cause they don't like your face, they don't like your kumbaya shit and they'd honestly rather just play football rather than draw flowers or whatever you do in hypothetical alternative schools.They don't want to take the talking ball and work out their grievances, they  just don't fucking like you. You of course are unable to accept this. Easier to believe that you must have committed some major gaffe cause that way you had some control over the situation. That way the right set of words would convince them, and all would be well! 

Democrats should always look for ways to appeal to groups and such and grow their power, but there's a certain sort of arrogance in believing that a core part of the only other opposition party can be peeled off if you stopped being meanies. Or that, even if you could,it would have no impact on your own coalition which has many groups (gays, women for reproductive rights, black people who vote) many of those people define themselves in opposition to.

You know, if I had thought about this, I shouldn't have taken a multi-month hiatus after quitting my job in June.  Much rather have a job than be trying to find one while whatever reacting to the election is being done.  

Oh well, too late now.  At least I have gold standard experience and am seeking a job at a defense company. 

17 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So y'all are welcome to come here for 4, or 8 or whatever years. But PLEASE, don't all move to Auckland, it's already full.

Specifically, property prices in Auckland and Wellington are insane, Christchurch is still rebuilding, and there are no jobs in Dunedin.

18 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The media was focused on the future being now and changing demographics of the race.  The numbers and enthusiasm of the voters for Trump was clearly greatly ignored.  

Because they waned and waxed? Like, what do you want people to do if scientific polls state that Trump support drops here and there and people in his party dislike X or Y thing he said? 

Unless there's some methodological flaw with the polls it is what it is. When the race tightened it was news.

It is just not an elderly issue.  It is one part of a nation being of youth and excitement and you are not a part of it. Add to that a sense, right and wrong, that this is and was their country and you have a dangerous cocktail that we are watching.

If there was any cocktail it was the " the liberal shills will eat your baby" Republicans have sold their base for decades. But yeah, it must be because the media reported stats correctly. This is how the country gets pulled right; one side decides something and then everyone else is reporting it wrong or part of "mainstream media bias". Saying that Hispanics are a more important voting bloc is some sort of evil cause it annoys Trumpets.

Now they've gotten progressives to do it too, somehow using scientific polls and obvious demographic facts is hypocrisy or creating a "dangerous cocktail" or something. This truly is a victory for the ages.

Has anyone thought that the big winner of tonight is not, in fact, Trump, but Mike Pence?

With Trump uninterested in the details, Pence will get a tame Congress to pass his agenda. And should there be any flameout, corruption, impeachment, scandal etc that unseats Trump, the quiet but incredibly conservative Pence will become the next President.

It's like something out of House of Cards.

After today, I'm going to avoid the news channels on TV for about 3 months and stop talking politics on any online community I'm part of. Tomorrow, I'll watch Keith Olbermann's reaction to this election and that is the last I want to hear about this election.

I do not have the energy to go through this thread but I imagine there is quite a bit of meltdown going on.  As someone who has committed himself to center-left causes/candidates throughout my adult life, I would just counsel people to calm down.  It's not the end of the world and the capacity of President Trump to actually institute substantive change is dubious at best*.  For younger posters, I would especially emphasize there is a certain type of freedom in being in the opposition.  And turning obstructionism back upon a Republican regime.  And watching a political trainwreck for four years.  Tomorrow is a new day.

*Other than in the case of foreign crises.  Yes, this scares the shit out of me.  Hopefully they can district him with shiny things or Twitter wars or something.

6 minutes ago, Ordos said:

After today, I'm going to avoid the news channels on TV for about 3 months and stop talking politics on any online community I'm part of. Tomorrow, I'll watch Keith Olbermann's reaction to this election and that is the last I want to hear about this election.

I'm seriously considering this. Not cause of the actual bad news but you just know that you'll get so much liberal hand-wringing like during the primaries.

Soul-searching is good but in a constructive manner.The return of the "Trump was caused cause Samantha Bee was mean to Republicans on television!" I can do without. 

Archived