Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bastard of Boston

Riverdale -- Archie, only with more murder

29 posts in this topic

I'm quite happy about that tbh because for the most part I really like this cast of young actors 

This show has gone from guilty pleasure to just plain pleasure! I started watching it because as a kid I used to read my dad's old Archie comics so I knew the characters very well so I was curious. That they have maintained some nostalgia while modernizing and even subverting them has really worked for me. I was a bit turned off at first by the Grundy storyline,  but I came to like it for the simple reason that they made it plain that she was a predator and Archie was a victim. I agree with you guys that he's kind of been the weakest link in the show but I do like the actor. Everyone else has been great and actually like that they have replaced Reggie as a main character with Kevin. I think I've been most impressed with the clever writing and the cold opens. As an old comic reader, I especially loved this weeks' open with Jughead dream as he and the characters dressed up as they were in the comic.

I got my daughter to watch it and she in turn got her mom and her friends hooked on it. They all are totally on the good ship "Bughead". :P

Archie was alright in this episode- still dumb, but with his heart in the right place, and there was nothing of the singing non-sense.

I missed the pilot, but then watched all the other episodes at once.  I really like it. Enjoying the "Twin Peaks" feel of it. 

The parents are all so bad, except maybe Archie's and Kevin's but they both seem to have faults in other areas, especially Kevin's dad. You can't really expect kids to grow up normal with parents like that.

And from the first episode I watched, I :wub: Jughead

Watched the first 4 episodes yesterday and really liked it. I'm an Archie nerd so the bar is not high to impress me but I like the darkness and more adult track they have taken. Cant wait to get home tonight to watch the next 3 episodes. 

That open was awesome and I love Jughead too! Protect the moody sullen teenage boy with the heart of gold <3 

I would add that pacing is really good in so far, they wrapped up the Grundy story in 4 episodes, opened up a new story line with Hermione and Jughead's dad and pushed some resolution on the search for Jason. I just hope they keep the pace of changes up as the seasons roll on. 

I watched 3 episodes and dropped it. It wasn't clicking with me. I read plenty of Archie comics when I was a kid, but that hook didn't really work on me, and aside from the tenuous connection to the comics, the basic construction and conceit of the show is not really in my wheelhouse. My son, who has never seen an Archie comic in his life, really likes it.