U.S. Politics: One NothingBurger with 100% Mos-Cow, Side of Orange Slices and a Banana Daiquiri, Please

9 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

What the hell? The phrase "fake news" experienced a major resurgence in use precisely because the Russians hand tailored a huge amount of factually wrong "news articles" into American citizens' social media feeds to influence the outcome of the election. I'm confused. Do you think that the only thing that the Russians are accused of doing is releasing DNC emails? I can't possibly imagine that you're that... not-well read. I don't know how else to phrase it. You seem to be demonstrating willful ignorance.

This not only reads exactly like what I would say, it also reads exactly like the way in which I would say it.  In these threads, @Kalbear is usually the only one that does that.  Cheers!

:cheers:

On 7/8/2017 at 11:27 PM, Martell Spy said:

Well, I thought with just a couple of power point presentations in hand, Paul "Numbers Guy" Ryan wouldn't have any problem defending Ayn Rand.

That does nobody any good. What I want to do is have a civil, good, quiet conversation with constituents.” That is why Ryan says he has been “looking for new and creative ways to interact with my constituents in a civil way.”

Now why do I get the feeling that people like Ryan start to take a mighty big interest in having a "civil conversation" right around the moment when they are going to get called out on their bullshit?

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

This not only reads exactly like what I would say, it also reads exactly like the way in which I would say it.  In these threads, @Kalbear is usually the only one that does that.  Cheers!

:cheers:

A rare coincidence... Your eloquence is in a league of its own. I will retroactively take you up on your beer mug emoticon by drinking more then five beers in the last four hours, though. 

30 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well, I thought with just a couple of power point presentations in hand, Paul "Numbers Guy" Ryan wouldn't have any problem defending Ayn Rand.

Now why do I get the feeling that people like Ryan start to take a mighty big interest in having a "civil conversation" right around the moment when they are going to get called out on their bullshit?

Because Paul Ryan is 150 lb of pure extracted essence of bullshit packed into an inhuman polystyrene shell. Calling Paul Ryan on his bullshit is basically the highest form of existential threat to him that exists. I would know, after all, I live in the state he's helped to ravage along side Derpy McDerpface Walker. 

On 7/8/2017 at 9:59 PM, Altherion said:

You will undoubtedly deal with the private sector, but the private sector is not monolithic. If you dislike your boss, you can try to find another job. If you dislike the services you are receiving, you can usually (though not always) switch to a different provider. This is not possible with government: the only way to opt out is to move which is rather drastic.

Yes, in some cases if your boss is a jerk, the best thing to do is just look for another job. But, keep in mind, that job searching can be a time consuming task and a real hassle(like say if a move is involved), and particularly if economic conditions are bad. And in some cases, the onus ought not be on the employee to “just find another job”, like say when the employee is a victim of discrimination or the boss has engaged in extreme emotional abuse.

And certain issues can be systemic to entire sectors. Like say this thing with employee “just in time scheduling”. Many of these folks subjected to this likely have to take the bus to work or something. And not having a stable and reliable schedule can be a really big hassle and inconvenience for them. Or say things like wage theft.

And it’s true, that often if you don’t like a product, you can just switch to a competitor and that takes care of the problem. But it’s also true that certain issues can be systemic to entire industries and not to just a single provider, like say when there are issues of asymmetric information between customers and providers. 

And if you are being exposed to pollution, it’s not likely that you can just “switch providers”.

And when markets go haywire, like the financial markets did back in 2008 , there is nothing “theoretical” about that. The consequences of that were very real and in your face for lots of people.

Government certainly can do bad things. But, just saying, “markets awesome, government sucks” is way too simplistic. 

Instead of holding a press conference which foreign leaders, Trump releases a statement via twitter. The best is...

As the great Marco Rubio once said...

Ignoring the fact that Rubio won't do jack shit but blow with the wind, he is spot on. And creating this type of partnership is exactly what the Kremlin wants. This is how Russian intelligence works. They partner to solve some problem, gather intelligence then weaponize it when things break down. So the way to handle Russia? Form a partnership, share our cyber security measures to "prevent future attacks" and watch them embed themselves in our systems. It's unbelievable the level of incompetence in our country right now and how little spine Republicans show.

Half a dozen former intelligence officers at the spook-heavy Cipher Briefconference in Georgia spoke to The Daily Beast, as did other former CIA officers, describing their Russian interactions during the Clinton, Bush, and Obama years.

They described a consistent pattern: the U.S. engages with Moscow on a tough problem like terrorism, and Russia comes through at first. After a matter of months, the U.S. finds the cooperation is short-lived or has plenty of strings attached. The moment a disagreement over something like Ukraine or Syria intrudes, everything the Americans have shared with the Russians gets turned into a weapon against them. 

“The Russians will establish some sort of counterterrorism cooperation as a chit, a quid pro quo, and withdraw it because of some of the other things we’re doing,” said Steve Hall, former CIA chief of Russian operations worldwide prior to his retirement in 2015. 

When the relationship breaks down, counterterrorist officials who’ve visited Moscow and therefore revealed their identity to the Russians find themselves added to Russia’s worldwide terrorist watch list, and pulled aside at airports of Russia-friendly nations for harassing questioning. That’s just one of a dozen ways U.S. intelligence and law enforcement officials have paid for putting their trust even briefly in Russia, another former senior intelligence officer said.

Yes we could afford to spend on some useful stuff right about now.

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2017/07/07/2191021/slower-us-inflation-isnt-just-the-result-of-transitory-factors/

Despite cautionary remarks from a few of its dovish members, the Federal Reserve seems determined to continue uninterrupted down its course of gradual policy tightening. The slowing of inflation since the start of the year is not yet a deterrent.

But there’s a problem with the “idiosyncratic factors” explanation, which is that non-idiosyncratic factors are also pressuring inflation downward:

Inflation might start rebounding soon, perhaps if economic growth itself proves to have accelerated in the second quarter. But regardless of the implications for monetary policy, it simply isn’t right to say that this year’s weakness is mainly down to big swings in a couple of fringe components.

Well, how shocking:

http://cepr.net/blogs/cepr-blog/the-collapse-of-obamacare-big-problem-in-republican-states

President Trump and Republicans in Congress have repeatedly charged that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is collapsing. They point to insurers dropping out of the exchanges and endlessly cite the fact that more than 1300 counties across the United States only have one insurer operating in the exchanges and that some will not have any in 2018.

The lack of competition in the exchanges is a serious problem. While people can still buy insurance in the individual market off of the exchange, and still benefit from the ACA prohibition against discrimination based on pre-existing conditions, they are not eligible for ACA subsidies unless they buy insurance through the exchanges. These subsidies are necessary to make insurance affordable for millions of people.

So, the lack of a vibrant market in many counties is a serious issue for the ACA. However, there is an important part of the story that Trump and other Republicans forget to mention. The lack of competition in the exchanges is overwhelmingly a problem for people living in states controlled by Republican governors.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:03 AM, Mexal said:

Instead of holding a press conference which foreign leaders, Trump releases a statement via twitter. The best is...As the great Marco Rubio once said...Ignoring the fact that Rubio won't do jack shit but blow with the wind, he is spot on. And creating this type of partnership is exactly what the Kremlin wants. This is how Russian intelligence works. They partner to solve some problem, gather intelligence then weaponize it when things break down. So the way to handle Russia? Form a partnership, share our cyber security measures to "prevent future attacks" and watch them embed themselves in our systems. It's unbelievable the level of incompetence in our country right now and how little spine Republicans show.

On 7/9/2017 at 11:54 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I can't wait until he appoints Barron as head of "the cyber". That is going to be epic.

It just seems to me the Republican Party is incapable of finding that happy medium somewhere between being utterly hysterical about Putin and wanting to take warm showers with Putin.

For me that happy medium is somewhere right around "Don't do stupid shit".

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

It just seems to me the Republican Party is incapable of finding that happy medium somewhere between being utterly hysterical about Putin and wanting to take warm showers with Putin.

Why did you do this to me OGE?  You know I have say 'warm Golden showers' because I just can't help myself.       :P

1 hour ago, Nasty LongRider said:

No, he just clutched his peals and fell back on his fainting couch.  Looked a tiny bit dead, but was it was faint.

Ah, okay. Yeah good ol' Lindsey tends to do that. Can't lose him yet, though, he's one of the few moderate Republicans left.

42 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Ah, okay. Yeah good ol' Lindsey tends to do that. Can't lose him yet, though, he's one of the few moderate Republicans left.

Not to mention the finest gentlewomen in all the South.

Rubio's tweet was actually pretty funny.  Thanks for sharing @Mexal.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:12 PM, Nasty LongRider said:

Why did you do this to me OGE?  You know I have say 'warm Golden showers' because I just can't help myself.       :P

LOL.:D

Sorry about doing that to you.

Archived