Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Padraig

The Lodestar Award

7 posts in this topic

After all these years, we finally have a Young Adult award at Worldcon.  I know a number of people on this board have spent a lot of time on this especially LugaJetboyGirlirra.  It got ratified today with a provisional name of Lodenstar, with the name to be ratified in San Jose.  But there will be an award next year.  

I'd name some of the others on the committee but I am bound to miss a few.

Congrats to those involved, those who helped and those who voted.  Somebody else who knows more about this can give further details about all the work done.

I do like the idea of a Lodey award...

This is a big deal and it's been a long, hard road. It should have been done a few years ago but the sore losers who didn't want the award in the first place threw every single bit of procedural bullshit they could at it to delay it. Fortunately - at least in one vote with the support of BwB members late-arriving to turn the tide - they were defeated and shot down in flames.

There will be more shenanigans, however, as the award name is still provisional and needs to be ratified. Officially the name next year will be the "Best YA Book" or somesuch, with Lodestar only becoming official in Dublin if ratified in San Jose. If not another name will have to be picked and that then needs to be ratified over two years.

It was amazing to see everybody arriving in and voting like complete bosses. There were some sour expressions thrown our way. :rofl:

The award will be officially 'the Award for Best Young Adult Book'. Hopefully for next year only: the Lodestar naming amendment needs to be ratified by the Business Meeting. So San Jose people need to show up and vote for that: it's the final bit of business.

There was quite a bit of pointless discussion over whether the meeting could retrospectively enact the amendment to cover the first year of the award, or otherwise perform some technical trick to make the creation and naming line up, but that was clearly unconstitutional, I'm afraid. And hell, everyone is going to call the first one a Lodestar award twenty years from now, apart from the 'well, actually' types.

19 hours ago, Peadar said:

It was amazing to see everybody arriving in and voting like complete bosses. There were some sour expressions thrown our way. :rofl:

Those who showed up for the voting really helped.  Well done.

Proud to have been part of the voting, but also we were just a number attached to the end of a monumental amount of effort on the part of many people. Grats to all involved. 

I'm now imagining the BwB showing up Ride of the Rohirrim style to the vote. Thank you for that :D