How excited are you for the final battle of ADOS?

UFT

i think its going to be the most epic book battle since the siege of gondor. the final showdown of living vs dead.

thousands of barbarian horsemen, vikings, armored knights, mercenaries (probably), three giant dragons, and azor ahai

vs

the army of a host of monstrous dead creatures.spiders, bears, giants etc. and the demonic others themselves.

Who says it is going to come to a single battle?

The problem is magical, so I am inclined to think that the winter will be resolved by a rite of some sort, involving Dany and Jon, probably being sacrificed to end the Long Night. Nor do I think it will go away immediately, so there would be quite a bit of meat to the story afterward.

It wouldn't be at all surprising to me if there was no such battle, so I'm trying to look forward to whatever happens, rather than courting disappointment with expectations that may not be met. We might find out that such battles for supremacy are causing more problems than they solve (a la the First Men and CotF, or the NW and the wildlings), or that winning is more a case of throwing the Ring into the Cracks of Doom before Sauron's army even reaches Gondor, because it's so huge no one could hope to beat it in the field.

2 hours ago, UFT said:

i think its going to be the most epic book battle since the siege of gondor. the final showdown of living vs dead.

thousands of barbarian horsemen, vikings, armored knights, mercenaries (probably), three giant dragons, and azor ahai

vs

the army of a host of monstrous dead creatures.spiders, bears, giants etc. and the demonic others themselves.

Not that much... if we ever get that far.

11 hours ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

It wont happen. The books are not likely to be finished.

Ditto.

9 hours ago, YOVMO said:

At this point it is more likely that DANCE gets unwritten than ADOS ever comes out.

Outside of the chapters in the North I would have absolutely no problem with ADWD getting retconned.

I don't even know how you do a battle like that without just completely breaking down the story structure. Most battles we either didn't see, saw one person's sort of insiginficant account of it, or it was like Blackwater where there were 4 or 5 POV's and literally a small handful of battle beats that mattered. In a giant one on one, no idea how you do that without it being kind of indulgant. Like what are we just going to get a POV of Jon, and then Jamie, and then Brienne, and then Arya, and then Dany on her dragon, and then idk all slaying a few and then something like "finally the glorious sound of retreat from the dead". 

There's got to be something else. I don't even know if it will be a battle tbh. Like maybe there will be a fight, but it will end in some sort of strategic detente 

I'm inclined toward one of two (non mutually exclusive) end games:

- The Others are not defeated entirely, only driven off at great expense, just as they had been in the War for the Dawn (or so we believe).

- Victory will come through some magical means that totally disrupts the climate of Planetos, putting it on a more rational seasonal basis and eliminating the Others 'home field advantage' of having long/neverending winters.

Archived