US Politics: Loyalty Oaths for Everyone!

Mexal

@Fez

How is he going to sue on religious grounds? Argue that his religion requires him to boycott Israel? Good luck with that.

A ruling out of Kansas on their Anti-BDS law:

Federal Judge Daniel Crabtree issued a preliminary injunction on Tuesday, prohibiting the state from acting for the duration of a lawsuit filed in October by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of Esther Koontz, a longtime Wichita public school teacher.

The suit derives from Koontz’s adherence to the Palestinian call for BDS. Alongside fellow members of the Mennonite Church USA and in solidarity with Palestinians, she decided to boycott all consumer products from both Israeli companies and those that operate in Israel’s illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank.

After the passage of the anti-BDS law, all Kansas state employees were required to sign a certification guaranteeing they do not participate in the boycott of Israel.

When Koontz refused, the state retributively ended its working relationship with her, despite the fact that Koontz is qualified statewide to train teachers as a contractor with the Kansas Department of Education’s Math and Science Partnerships program.

http://mondoweiss.net/2018/01/federal-punishing-supporters/

The problem with using “welfare” as shorthand is that it slips into the way we talk about and understand the issue. Republicans, in fact, are counting on it, since it amounts to a concession to how they are framing their arguments.

Any web editor can tell you how rarely readers get to the end of the article, where the description of which “welfare” programs Republicans actually want to target is usually buried. Instead, what the average, overworked American reader gets is an idea that some program called “welfare” is going to be cut. But they don’t use “welfare,” so they move on to the next story. That is because “welfare” doesn’t exist, while actual programs that many people will rely upon at some point in their lives are on the chopping block.

How the Media Is Abetting the GOP’s War on “Welfare”
Bill Clinton already ended welfare as we knew it. So what, exactly, are Republicans after now?

https://newrepublic.com/article/146859/media-abetting-gops-war-welfare

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

What a surprise. Peter Strzok is a terribly incompetent ring leader of the "secret society" to destroy Trump.

Let's see what the next excuse will be. After all, everyone knows the FBI needs to clean house because they were too mean to Hillary, then too nice, all while being mean to Trump even though they saved his a** a week and a half before the election.

These people make no sense and have absolutely no integrity. Born Republicans, they are.

56 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I think you mean that the election was rigged against His Most High Lord Drumpf because all of these fake voters voted. He won the popular vote. Also, not many people know this, but he also had the biggest electoral college victory of an Republican since Jesus Reagan. And a huge crowd came to his inauguration, something like 10,000,000 people more than came to all of Obama's combined.

The evidence is in the tax returns, which unfortunately - even though His Most Majestic Lord Drumpf wants to show them - can't be revealed as the IRS is auditing them, and probably will be for the next 500 years because there are more pages in them than all other tax returns ever. And the bigger the tax return, the bigger the penis. Fact.

Funny post, but on a serious note, he can use the audit excuse for his entire presidency. I'm 99.9% sure that the president is always under audit by IRS guidelines. 

34 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jace is so confused :(

Isn't that your natural state of mind?

:P

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Funny post, but on a serious note, he can use the audit excuse for his entire presidency. I'm 99.9% sure that the president is always under audit by IRS guidelines. 

Of course, the excuse has been bullshit since it was first made. 

And yes, the president and VP are audited by the IRS during their presidency.

Spoiler

No spoiler. What is with these quotes and codes, anyhow?

That said, we have yet another retiring republican congressman - a minor bit player from SC named Gowdy. Have to wonder if his seat is poachable....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/south-carolina-s-trey-gowdy-won-t-seek-re-election/ar-BBIwC4c?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

6 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No spoiler. What is with these quotes and codes, anyhow?

That said, we have yet another retiring republican congressman - a minor bit player from SC named Gowdy. Have to wonder if his seat is poachable....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/south-carolina-s-trey-gowdy-won-t-seek-re-election/ar-BBIwC4c?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

Clean the spunk out of your belly button. His seat is not up for grabs. Some half-cocked carwash owner is going to leverage granny's peach farm to run for the vacated seat. The story is that Gowdy believes the wave is coming and doesn't want to lose his Chairmanship of the committee. It's been 8 long years since we had the House, a lot of people got used to being in power.

These stories are merely the news of the last 24 hours, a day in the life of self-dealing in the Trump administration. But the narrative is extremely significant. Trump’s most politically potent message was his promise that he would no longer care about his own wealth. “My whole life I’ve been greedy, greedy, greedy,” he would say. “I’ve grabbed all the money I could get. I’m so greedy. But now I want to be greedy for the United States.” Trump was the outsider, the threat to entrenched elites, and an incorruptible man.

4 New Trump Corruption Stories From the Last Day Alone

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/4-new-trump-corruption-stories-from-the-last-day-alone.html

38 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If Trey Gowdy's seat is poachable the Dems are going to pick up historic number of seats.  His district is R+15.

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

If Trey Gowdy's seat is poachable the Dems are going to pick up historic number of seats.  His district is R+15.

I already said that! What's different between what you said and what I said!?! :P

So Richard Spencer and his group of Nazi Nancies are requesting a judge throw out the civil suit of a bunch of Charlottsville peeps who got all fucked up on account of Nazis taking over their streets.

See, Spence can't find a lawyer who will take his case and that's UNFAIR!!!! He needs a safe space in court

Yo, law peeps. Are you guaranteed a lawyer in a civil suit? I'm googling that shit but @Tywin et al. says I'm stupid so I need some help here.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I already said that! What's different between what you said and what I said!?! :P

I don't know.  Came back to this thread, and I'm drunk and confused and need help.  If I had a lawn I think at this point there'd be some hand shaking.

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yo, law peeps. Are you guaranteed a lawyer in a civil suit? I'm googling that shit but @Tywin et al. says I'm stupid so I need some help here.

Um, what?  No, Tywin is right.

@OldGimletEye

13 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

On the PR front does Trump appears to be winning on the economy.  If this  economy Kees steaming the way to November and beyond, The Democrats won't make any gains both houses , In fact it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could end up losing additional seats to the Republicans.

Perhaps. But, the Democrats need to drive the point home that Trump and the Republicans are trying to take credit for stuff they have no business taking credit  for. In fact, for reasons, I've described we're kind of in a precarious situation right now and that, in my opinion, needs to be emphasized, largely because of Republican Party idiocy. And then plus voters need to be reminded Trump has reneged or hasn't really followed through with many of his promises.

Edited 12 hours ago by OldGimletEye

I don't think that has a terribly good record of working, historically. Everyone who has tried to make electoral gains by preaching that economic doom is around the corner when to every-day eyes the economy seems to be going well is summarily dismissed as a doom-sayer and a hater. And that doesn't win you elections. If you can successfully create a narrative that X party HAS ruined the economy, even when several indicators are pointing in a good direction (Which the Rs seemed to have done well enough from 2012-2016 to secure control of all elected branches of govt) then you have a chance to shift the needle. But if you can't create a narrative that things are already bad, and were made bad by those currently in control. Then you are going to struggle to campaign on economic grounds. Fortunately for the Rs and unfortunately for the Ds the 2018 mid-terms are close enough to the Obama legacy that the Rs can get away with defelecting the blame for anything negative onto the Obama legacy, while paradoxically there has been enough time elapse for them to take credit, at the same time, for the positives from the Obama legacy.

The worst thing the Ds can do is to forecast a hurricane when there are calm, blue skies overhead, merely because people can't see over the horizon, or, like flat earthers, they don't believe there is a horizon so what they see it how things will be, despite history shouting the exact opposite to them.

6 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I don't know.  Came back to this thread, and I'm drunk and confused and need help.  If I had a lawn I think at this point there'd be some hand shaking.

Um, what?  No, Tywin is right.

Now you're riding the rainclouds!

@Nasty LongRider Yo, why don't you introduce your cuff links to your socks so they can partay!?!

Where my main man Kal at too? Boy needs to get the sad slapped out his ass.

1 hour ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

@Fez

A ruling out of Kansas on their Anti-BDS law:

http://mondoweiss.net/2018/01/federal-punishing-supporters/

How does a law dictate how a private person spends their money? As long as the person is not acting in their capacity as a state or federal employee, surely they must be free to spend their money as they see fit? If spending money (political donations) is freedom of speech, surely not spending money is equally freedom of speech. By the description of the anti-BDS law in the quote it appears this law would be unconstitutional as it would violate freedom of speech.

So that's how Paul Ryan wrangled the Freedom Caucus last vote, he promised more immigrant deaths to them. I guess we'll see if they continue to fall in line like a bunch of cucks or not.

House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows is threatening to withhold votes for another funding bill without more concessions on immigration. The North Carolina Republican told reporters this week that members of his hard-line caucus couldn’t vote for the bill until Speaker Paul Ryan makes good on his promise to push a more conservative immigration plan

GOP faces new shutdown threat from within
Rank-and-file Republicans are frustrated with the prospect of having to pass yet another short-term government funding bill.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/31/government-shutdown-republicans-congress-380576

23 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

@OldGimletEye

I don't think that has a terribly good record of working, historically. Everyone who has tried to make electoral gains by preaching that economic doom is around the corner when to every-day eyes the economy seems to be going well is summarily dismissed as a doom-sayer and a hater. And that doesn't win you elections. If you can successfully create a narrative that X party HAS ruined the economy, even when several indicators are pointing in a good direction (Which the Rs seemed to have done well enough from 2012-2016 to secure control of all elected branches of govt) then you have a chance to shift the needle. But if you can't create a narrative that things are already bad, and were made bad by those currently in control. Then you are going to struggle to campaign on economic grounds. Fortunately for the Rs and unfortunately for the Ds the 2018 mid-terms are close enough to the Obama legacy that the Rs can get away with defelecting the blame for anything negative onto the Obama legacy, while paradoxically there has been enough time elapse for them to take credit, at the same time, for the positives from the Obama legacy.

The worst thing the Ds can do is to forecast a hurricane when there are calm, blue skies overhead, merely because people can't see over the horizon, or, like flat earthers, they don't believe there is a horizon so what they see it how things will be, despite history shouting the exact opposite to them.

By it self maybe not.

But that isn’t the only economic issue out there that will matter to voters. There is the issues of Trump really not keeping his promises on free trade. And then you create doubt weather he’ll keep his promises with regard to social security and medicare. And then you go after the ridiculous corporate tax cuts, which are not popular.

But, anyway, no matter whether the issue of our precarious situation because of low FED rates and the Stock Market Bubble would persuade people by itself, it still needs to be pointed out. And also, since Trump has used to the Stock Market to tout his own success, pointing out it’s in a bubble will make him look a bit ridiculous. It wouldn’t be the only issue I’d go after him and the Republicans on, but one of many.

In short, you use everything you got.

ETA:

Also, just aside from the fact of winning electoral politics. The issue I pointed out should be on the Democrat's mind if they care about working people in this country. I have no idea of whether another ZLB situation will come to pass. Maybe we';ll skate out of it. But if it does come to pass, then the Democrats can't let the Republican Party control the issue and spew nonsense for 10 more years.

A federal appeals court has upheld the constitutionality of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's structure, a decision that preserves the agency's independence in the face of challenges from business interests and conservatives.

Court upholds constitutionality of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/31/consumer-financial-protection-bureau-court-ruling-380226?lo=ap_d1

6 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

So that's how Paul Ryan wrangled the Freedom Caucus last vote, he promised more immigrant deaths to them. I guess we'll see if they continue to fall in line like a bunch of cucks or not.

GOP faces new shutdown threat from within
Rank-and-file Republicans are frustrated with the prospect of having to pass yet another short-term government funding bill.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/31/government-shutdown-republicans-congress-380576

Eventually some of them are going to stop following Trump and Ryan to Authoritarian land as midterms near and reality starts setting in.

It does not look good if you can't pass a fucking spending bill when you're in power, full stop. I think we're going to see a mutiny at some point where the ones still toeing the party line who actually want to be reelected start demanding something they can go home with.

Archived