US Politics: Loyalty Oaths for Everyone!

Mexal

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah I agree that Trump and his administration are attempting a "slow motion" SNM.  I just think they're really dumb to think that's going to work in any way.  

Why won’t it work? The public is more distracted than it’s ever been, and it’s hard to keep up with all the breaking news even if you’re a political junkie. I mean seriously, how many big stories broke yesterday? Trump can absolutely get away with it, especially if Democrats fail to retake either chamber in November.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why won’t it work? The public is more distracted than it’s ever been, and it’s hard to keep up with all the breaking news even if you’re a political junkie. I mean seriously, how many big stories broke yesterday? Trump can absolutely get away with it, especially if Democrats fail to retake either chamber in November.

One thing I haven't seen discussed much: if Dems make gains in the House, but fail to take it, how many Republican reps might be interested in banding together with a narrow Dem minority to hold Trump accountable (launching another in-depth investigation etc.)? The magic number is 25 flips for control of the House, if I remember correctly, but surely there are a couple of #nevertrump Republicans left in the crevices somewhere.

18 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

One thing I haven't seen discussed much: if Dems make gains in the House, but fail to take it, how many Republican reps might be interested in banding together with a narrow Dem minority to hold Trump accountable (launching another in-depth investigation etc.)? The magic number is 25 flips for control of the House, if I remember correctly, but surely there are a couple of #nevertrump Republicans left in the crevices somewhere.

I wouldn't count on it.  Most of the losses in the House will be with Republican moderates.  Combine that with the retirements we're seeing, and moderate Republicans are going to be very, very thin on the ground in 2018.  Almost any Republican who is moderate enough to want to do that is almost assuredly from a swing district, and likely just survived a tough fight with Democrats trying to unseat them.  I just don't see how they would then switch sides. 

I think a more likely scenario is if the Democrats get a net +1 seat in the Senate (say, gain AZ+NV and lose IN), then the chamber is split 50/50.  There's a real chance Collins or Murkowski might be willing to go independent, caucus with the Democrats in exchange for some great committee spots, and keep investigative pressure on Trump to make sure he stays in line. 

Just when you think it can't get any more ridiculous -- who better to lead a House Republican communications workshop than . . . Greg Gianforte?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1/31/1737517/-Republican-Party-names-guy-who-famously-assaulted-reporter-to-lead-their-workshop-on-communication?detail=emaildkre
GettyImages-687330432.jpg?1495683921

www.dailykos.com
You’re in the National Republican Congressional Committee (RNCC) and you need to find people to lead a “communication” workshop. Who better to help other Republicans navigate this brave new world than special election winner, Montana Republican Greg...

43 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I wouldn't count on it.  Most of the losses in the House will be with Republican moderates.  Combine that with the retirements we're seeing, and moderate Republicans are going to be very, very thin on the ground in 2018.  Almost any Republican who is moderate enough to want to do that is almost assuredly from a swing district, and likely just survived a tough fight with Democrats trying to unseat them.  I just don't see how they would then switch sides. 

I think a more likely scenario is if the Democrats get a net +1 seat in the Senate (say, gain AZ+NV and lose IN), then the chamber is split 50/50.  There's a real chance Collins or Murkowski might be willing to go independent, caucus with the Democrats in exchange for some great committee spots, and keep investigative pressure on Trump to make sure he stays in line. 

Other thing is Ryan controls the agenda and the Republicans control the committees. Won't matter if Dems band with some Repubs, they won't have any power if the Chairman or Speaker refuses to authorize anything.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If Mueller's investigation is shutdown, or even if Rosenstein is removed, it becomes the only big story for all outlets this side of Breitbart.  It's not gonna get drowned out by coverage.

4 hours ago, Shryke said:

You are missing the story. Hicks doesn't matter, it's Corallo. Who is a witness to obstruction of justice and wants to talk to Mueller. This is likely the biggest reason that Nunes and his memo is going so nuts right now. 

Lying to the NYT is not obstruction of justice.  The story is Corallo is going to testify that Hicks suggested obstructing justice by telling Trump that the emails "will never get out," which implies withholding them from investigators.  That's Corallo's interpretation and obviously such withholding never happened.

43 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Agree Collins is more likely to flip than any remaining GOP House member.  Disagree on Murkowski though - if she wasn't willing to caucus with the Dems after 2010 when she was primaried out and had to win as a write-in, she ain't now.

15 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Other thing is Ryan controls the agenda and the Republicans control the committees. Won't matter if Dems band with some Repubs, they won't have any power if the Chairman or Speaker refuses to authorize anything.

I believe the idea is to have them band together before the start of the 116th Congress so that they can elect a new Speaker. And on a slightly different note, we can’t ignore the rumors of Ryan’s retirement.

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I believe the idea is to have them band together before the start of the 116th Congress so that they can elect a new Speaker. And on a slightly different note, we can’t ignore the rumors of Ryan’s retirement.

That dude might beat him right? The Iron Stache guy?

Interesting that John Thune is cautioning against releasing the Nunes memo.  Can't recall him ever sticking his neck out on much of anything in his 13 years since beating Daschle - which is probably why he's risen so high:

Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) should be able to view the memo before President Donald Trump releases it, said Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the No. 3 Senate Republican. Burr so far has been unable to view it.

“It would be helpful,” Thune said. “I think that Senator Burr would like to see it and hasn’t been able to yet.”

He also said that because of concerns by the FBI about the accuracy of the Republican memo, House Democrats’ rebuttal memo should be made public at the same time.

“I think they have to take into consideration what the FBI is saying,” Thune said of Republicans pushing for their own memo’s release. “I think they need to pay careful attention to what our folks who protect us have to say about how this bears on our national security.”

Also, increasing chatter Wray might quit if Trump releases the memo.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

Interesting that John Thune is cautioning against releasing the Nunes memo.  Can't recall him ever sticking his neck out on much of anything in his 13 years since beating Daschle - which is probably why he's risen so high:

Also, increasing chatter Wray might quit if Trump releases the memo.

The Senate has to approve a new FBI chief right? So we're not looking at Trey Gowdy or Eric Trump to replace him right? I have enough confidence in my suicide pact to believe that 2 R's in the Senate actually care.

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The Senate has to approve a new FBI chief right? So we're not looking at Trey Gowdy or Eric Trump to replace him right? I have enough confidence in my suicide pact to believe that 2 R's in the Senate actually care.

3 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

I don't think Trump would care, at this point. Wray has already proven himself not to be the sycophant that Trump almost assuredly assumed he would be. 

Agreed on all counts.  

13 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That dude might beat him right? The Iron Stache guy?

You mean this guy?  Hard to imagine that's what's going to take down the Speaker of the House, but it is a fairly tough district in a very tough climate.  I expect Ryan will retire and he's delaying the announcement for as long as possible because a lame duck speaker can't do much of anything.

9 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Agreed on all counts.  

You mean this guy?  Hard to imagine that's what's going to take down the Speaker of the House, but it is a fairly tough district in a very tough climate.  I expect Ryan will retire and he's delaying the announcement for as long as possible because a lame duck speaker can't do much of anything.

Yeah. Jace likes him! He's one of the people, right? The people like that. He's like Titus Pullo.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Lying to the NYT is not obstruction of justice.  The story is Corallo is going to testify that Hicks suggested obstructing justice by telling Trump that the emails "will never get out," which implies withholding them from investigators.  That's Corallo's interpretation and obviously such withholding never happened.

You don't have to succeed at the crime to have committed it dude.

And this isn't just Corallo's interpretation. It's Corallo backing away slowly, telling 3 people to establish his lack of involvement in this shit and then running for the hills. It's direct testimony of someone openly saying they should obstruct justice. And he wanted the fuck out of that.

When your lawyer is bailing on you while trying to cover his ass, you done something bad.

47 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

The Senate hates the House in general and the Republicans in the Senate have zero reason to play interference for Nunes. They don't give a shit about him.

Everything Nunes has done for like a year now has been a desperate, increasingly slipshod and comical attempt to cover his own ass because while on the transition team he done dipped his balls in a soup of illegal activity. He's flailing about now trying to cover it up. The White House is on board because it's their asses to, up to a point.

The Senate though? They don't give a shit about Nunes's bullshit.

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah sorry I...wasn't at my best.  Posting a bunch of youtube videos of dead musicians is always a solid indicator.

This wouldn't be surprising - he's been angling for a DOJ job since Trump was elected.

Yeah I agree that Trump and his administration are attempting a "slow motion" SNM.  I just think they're really dumb to think that's going to work in any way.  

As for your thoughts at the top, I've had similar concerns.  The most likely scenario is we have a Democratic House and GOP Senate after November.  In that case the Dems can't pass an act, but they could fund a "special investigation."  Let alone the House's inherent investigative powers.  In short, it'll be fine - as long as they take back the House.  That's crucial.

Hicks is a very important witness, and her testimony is newsworthy.  But this is verging on dumb gossip, rather than actual journalism.  I don't care if Hope Hicks made an improper statement when reacting to the DTJ story.  Further, pulling on the thread that Trump and his staff brazenly lied to the NYT on Air Force One is entirely pointless.  While it was particularly pathetic, if lying to the press meant you went to jail, they'd have to ensconce the beltway like the Simpsons movie.

McCain wants a Select Committee I believe. After the House or Congress investigate, then what next?

For all of the outrage, I think that Trump is going to get away with it.

His tax returns, which would absolutely incriminate him, will never be released. The FBI's investigation will either be cut off before completion or released with so much noise from the right-wing propaganda that the Republicans will literally not do a thing about it. They may even vote to prevent further action, and to hand more power to their glorious leader.

As pessimistic as it sounds, I am so grateful not to be an American right now. Your republic is dead. Trump is your first dictator.

The shrill chorus and chants against Obama's sanity and mental fitness allow Republicans to say that those saying it to Trump are crying wolf - which is exactly what they did to Obama, so it seems plausible.

Trump will never be indicted. He is a criminal, he is protected from prosecution from every branch of government and the current gerrymandered map in the House and the difficult Senate map means that no matter how big the swing to the Dems is, the fight is over.

The best the Dems can hope for is to ignore the house race altogether and instead focus every last shred of resources into the Senate. Then, at least, they can block every one of Trump's stooge appointments.

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

McCain wants a Select Committee I believe. After the House or Congress investigate, then what next?

Well, I'd assume at that point both chambers should be adequately prepared to decide whether to impeach and convict, or not.

Archived