Football no. 11

Horza

Brazil are not terribly imposing, they do no more than necessary but the US team can't defend, can't create and occasionally can't even control a simple 3m pass. My money is on them finishing dead last in this group.

The US did quite well against Italy (deserved at least a draw) but were a shambles against Brazil. Looks like playing with 10 men against Italy for so long killed them off.

Brazil only had to be ok to win.

Spain had a lot more difficulty in their last game too. Just shows what a team can do with a concentrated defense.

Well... Brazil's playing well.

The U.S. on the other hand... it seems like once the Brazilians start with the fancy footwork, the U.S. gives up and opts to just watch. And Beasely's continued gaffes are really starting to irritate me.

Agreed, the team played poorly but Beasley still manages to bring up the rear even then. When will Bradley get the message that this guy peaked 4 years ago and can't play left back. He doesn't really bring anything to the table except for "speed", and even thats not world class.

We really did not look like a team capable of breaking into the knock out round in a year's time, unless the draw is kind.

Agreed, the team played poorly but Beasley still manages to bring up the rear even then. When will Bradley get the message that this guy peaked 4 years ago and can't play left back.

Wait: you're trying to play DaMarcus Beasley as a left back?!? :lol:

So, I was hearing on the radio this morning that the likely collapse of Setanta, and the apparent lack of any other interested party, could lead to the winding up of several SPL clubs. I can't see anything about this on the BBC Sport site. Anyone heard any rumours?

It's widely known that Kilmarnock are in severe financial trouble, despite cuts to the wage bill. At one stage it looked like they might be relegated, and at that point it was all but admitted by the board that they would go to the wall if that happened. their wage bill alone is rumoured to be larger than their share of the Setanta cash: without it they will almost certainly go bankrupt.

There are rumours that two other clubs are in a similar but much less severe situation, but I've heard nothing specific about which ones. Probably two of the smaller ones. Certainly it will be a major hit for all the clubs, even the Old Firm: though Celtic have significantly reduced their debt so probably wouldn't need to make cuts in the short term.

Hmm. That could even damage a lot of the EPL teams quite severely. That 80m will be coming in handy for Man U to keep their heads up though, ey?

And Tevez has walked out the door. Where next for the man? Spain? He at least knows their language, and he famously struggles to learn new languages...

Theres always the possibility of Man City. But I can't remember the last time a player was sold between those two clubs, has it ever happened?

Chelski are appealling the bans for Drogba and Co, I don't see that going very far.

Well saw the Spain South Africa game. Containment was an important feature of the South African game but they did look dangerous on the counter attack. They actually impressed me more than Egypt seemingly being able to pass the ball around quicker. (Beating Italy isn't that impressive considering how bad they are right now. Although, they had enough chances to draw with Egypt).

:lol:

Yes, freaky results. I certainly didn't expect the US to qualify. Egypt must have completely fallen apart under the pressure. Hard to say who deserved to qualify from that group (ignoring Brazil). The US were dreadful against Brazil but were unlucky against Italy and clearly deserved to beat Egypt. So one can't really argue too much with their qualification. Italy have been dire throughout. Brazil allowed them to play a bit in the 2nd half of today's game but it was too late for them. Going to be interesting to see can they find a few new players in the next year to turn things around.

Brazil did have a fine game. When counter attacking they can be lethal, even if some of the players try too hard to score themselves. Passing is your friend!

Kaka was very impressive though. And did pass things around brilliantly.

YES, WE'VE WON THE RIGHT TO BE DISMANTLED BY SPAIN!

Haha. I'm so happy to see us go through. The last two games were so depressing. I also take back all the shit I've been talking about Dempsey the last couple days. Everyone played wonderfully.

Archived