NFL Thread II: Now bringing you more JaMarcus Russell!

Young Wolf

The 49ers made every effort to trade down. NOBODY wanted that pick. Really, to move it, they would have had to throw in something extra. Every team realized that the #1 pick was a terrible slot that year. You have to pay #1 overall money to a player who likely (as players were evaluated at the time) would not have gone in the top 5 the year before. (Which was Eli, Gallery, Fitzgerald, Rivers, Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow).

Their choices were 1) draft Smith or Rodgers and overpay badly then hope he is worth the money or 2) draft away from the position of need and overpay badly or 3) draft someone, pay actual value and watch the guy refuse to sign and get nada.

They were screwed no matter what they did.

This really underscores the flaw in the system right now. The #1 pick is not really desirable. The return on the field is unlikely to equal the cost. I still cannot believe how much guaranteed money Stafford got. If he's a bust, I shudder to think what it implies for Detroit's next five years.

He acts like a bust. I watched his press conference after his first game and thought that it was crazy that's how a guy getting paid 50 mil is allowed to act.

Haven't read the whole thread but check out

(you can fast fwd through most of it) where Drew Brees hits 10 bullseyes in a row on an archery target with a football.

Question: is that kind of accuracy typical of most pro quarterbacks, and is it really more accurate than an olympic archer?

(you can fast fwd through most of it) where Drew Brees hits 10 bullseyes in a row on an archery target with a football.

Question: is that kind of accuracy typical of most pro quarterbacks, and is it really more accurate than an olympic archer?

Definitely not common but I doubt he's the only NFL QB who could do it. Accuracy is the most underrrated QB attribute, arm strength the most overrated. You see lots of strong arm QB's who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

You do need some arm strength to make all the throws like an intermediate out pattern which is perhaps the hardest throw to make. QB's like Brees and Joe Montana fell to the 2nd round because they didn't have "great" arm strength. Yet their accuracy is immeasurable.

They never mention in the video that olympic archers shoot from 70m, compared to 20 yards for Brees. The whole comparision is meant to glorify QBs by not telling relevant facts about archery.

Is Greg Jennings even playing today???

Was wondering the same thing. Anybody watching this and have some insight? 0.00 fantasy points kind of implies "no", but I think I'd have seen a story about it or something.

The SPCA has announced that allowing your pets to view today's KC-OAK matchup constitutes cruelty to animals.

Yeah, this is the game we have on right now, and it is fucking dire. I at least have some FF inspired rooting interest, but man, these teams suck. The Broncos could make the playoffs just on the back of getting to play these teams twice.

Also, I like that the TN-Houston game turned into a shootout. WTF?

not so easy to pick apart the Jets defense when you haven't videotaped it

Oh that was very funny. :sleep: I won't even debate as the truth about spygate has nothing to do with winning and losing.

Props to Revis for controlling Moss. The playoffs don't start for a few months, but losing a division game does hurt. I do admit I am getting tad concerned about the Seymour trade as well. The Patriots need to bring back Romeo Crennel.

I'm really proud of the Bengals. They played well and deserved to win. Of course, they still made a shitload of mistakes but it's nice to see us finish drives for once. Palmer threw two really bad picks, one that went for a TD and the other that gave the Packers the ball at the 11. Both of them were his fault unlike last week.

The defense held up quite well. They completely eliminated Jennings from the game. Grant couldn't get anything going on the ground and Antwan Odom had 5 sacks!!! That's just mental. He has 7 sacks in 2 games.

We should be 2-0 going into the Steelers game but oh well. Hopefully winning on the road in GB will give us the momentum we need to beat Pittsburgh at home. If we do, we'd be 2-1 going into the Browns game. I'd be really happy with that.

The defense held up quite well. They completely eliminated Jennings from the game. Grant couldn't get anything going on the ground and Antwan Odom had 5 sacks!!! That's just mental. He has 7 sacks in 2 games.

That Odom... worries me.

i find it difficult to make a decision about any team yet, excepting the bottom feeders. i know that i am glad that the falcons have defeated (11-5) miami and (12-4) carolina. we seem to be a little porous on defense but gonzalez has really added another dimension to our offense.

joy of all joys, we get new england next week; the latest team to be disposed of by the resurgent jets. hope my guys get complimentary shaving kits and coupons and shit. i make no predictions but i feel like the pats are gonna regret not having seymour around. likewise, we'll likely be sorry that we get a pissed off patty team without a means to cover moss.

i don't often have a chance to get involved with the pats but, fuck you guys, you better keep your chinstraps tight. :cheers:

congrats to mex :D your schedule is potentially brutal though.

Fuck, looks like Hasselbeck just got hurt pretty bad. I hope he'll be OK down the road, but I think he took some serious damage there.

ETA: Well, he's walking on the sidelines, good sign.

Whoa, what a win for Gang Green. And considering how good Houston now looked this week, I know its only two games, but I'm thinking the Jets are the real deal. Especially the defense, no Offensive TDs allowed yet!

congrats to mex :D your schedule is potentially brutal though.

I know. It's nasty. Still have Steelers twice, Ravens twice, Texans, Bears, Vikings, Chargers, Jets.

I mean, it goes Packers, Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Texans, Bears, Ravens, Steelers. That's a tough lineup. But if we can get through it, everyone will know we'll have a good team. We just need to eliminate the mental errors. I think we had something like 15 penalties for over 100 yards. But we won so I'll take it!

Grats to your Falcons. They have a pretty decent team.

Archived