NFL Thread II: Now bringing you more JaMarcus Russell!

Young Wolf

You're going to have to start paying attention to the lines in Vegas.

Example:

Baltimore (-13.5) vs CLE (@Balt)

WTF!?!? Winning by TWO touchdowns covers the spread? Bet OVER! Fucking Vegas, disrespecting us IN OUR HOUSE!!

See, now we're getting somewhere. I knew I could count on a Pats fan to set me straight. By the way, I was kidding about the Pats fans being dicks.

It really is weird looking at a line like Baltimore -13 or whatever, even at home against Cleveland. It just doesn't feel like something that happens often enough that I would bet on it. But then, I've never really gotten gambling on sports to begin with because it strikes me as being so maddeningly out of your hands. Maybe that's the thrill of it, I don't know.

I've also watched way too many games where the Ravens seemed to overlook a bad opponent, or even play to their level. However, I think that may have just been the way Brian Billick-coached teams were in the later years. Hopefully there's good preparation and the team still shows up angry and wanting to kick some ass, leading to figuratively bathing in Brady Quinn's blood in his own end zone.

See, now we're getting somewhere. I knew I could count on a Pats fan to set me straight. By the way, I was kidding about the Pats fans being dicks.

It really is weird looking at a line like Baltimore -13 or whatever, even at home against Cleveland. It just doesn't feel like something that happens often enough that I would bet on it. But then, I've never really gotten gambling on sports to begin with because it strikes me as being so maddeningly out of your hands. Maybe that's the thrill of it, I don't know.

As opposed to other kinds of gambling where you have control over the outcome?

Isn't the lack of control what makes it gambling and not stating the obvious?

;)

As opposed to other kinds of gambling where you have control over the outcome?

Isn't the lack of control what makes it gambling and not stating the obvious?

;)

You ready for a tough match up this weekend or do you think it'll be a blow out? I can definitely see the Steelers winning the game but if they do, I don't think it'll be by much.

You ready for a tough match up this weekend or do you think it'll be a blow out? I can definitely see the Steelers winning the game but if they do, I don't think it'll be by much.

I never count on these games to be a blow out. They are just too emotional.

I think we'll win, but it will be close.

I think the close loss to chicago actually helps us this week. i can't see us playing like that two weeks in a row.

I'll say...

Steelers 21

Bengals 14

I never count on these games to be a blow out. They are just too emotional.

I think we'll win, but it will be close.

I think the close loss to chicago actually helps us this week. i can't see us playing like that two weeks in a row.

I'll say...

Steelers 21

Bengals 14

I actually think the same thing about the loss to the Bears. I see you guys coming out fired up though I hope we do the same given they know that they're still in this after beating GB last week. I think if we can score early, we have a chance. If we can't and you score first, it'll be a long day.

I'm thinking it'll be 24-21 Bengals :) I wish I could watch it but I don't have internet and I don't get home until about midway through the game so no chance to go elsewhere.

I actually think the same thing about the loss to the Bears. I see you guys coming out fired up though I hope we do the same given they know that they're still in this after beating GB last week. I think if we can score early, we have a chance. If we can't and you score first, it'll be a long day.

I'm thinking it'll be 24-21 Bengals :) I wish I could watch it but I don't have internet and I don't get home until about midway through the game so no chance to go elsewhere.

I'll tape it for you and you can come over and watch it at my place.

;)

Let's be honest, this week's NFL slate doesn't come close to last week. I guess the game of the week is Falcons-Patriots but I don't see too much else on the docket that I'm that curious about the result. You can make a case for 49ers-Vikings, but I'd be pretty surprised if the 49ers take it. They're similarly constructed teams, and the 49ers have a couple nice wins already, but I don't see any area the 49ers are better than the Vikings, except perhaps, coaching. If the 49ers win, time to start saying this team has a certain, as the French say, "I don't know what."

I think the other game I'll be keeping tabs on will be Titans-Jets. Very impressive that the Jets haven't allowed a TD all year, doubly so considering the teams they've played. Infact that might be the single most impressive thing I've seen from a team this season. As for the Titans, where'd their pass defense go? You'd think they'd be the one to rain on Sanchez's parade, but they don't look the same. Feel obligated to mention Football Outsiders research has shown that defense, even on the best teams, is surprisingly inconsistent from year to year. I mean, we look at the Ravens as having a dominant defense since 2000, and some years that's certainly the case...but in others they've been just so-so. Could easily see this becoming a 7-9 type season for the Titans. Maybe even worse if they lose this week. Think I'm a believer in the Jets defense and Rex Ryan...but also think there's way too many people, even rational people, jumping to way too many conclusions way too quickly with Mark Sanchez. The kid's head has gotta me Macy's Float sized by now.

Think I'm a believer in the Jets defense and Rex Ryan...but also think there's way too many people, even rational people, jumping to way too many conclusions way too quickly with Mark Sanchez. The kid's head has gotta me Macy's Float sized by now.

I agree. It's not that uncommon for players to jump into the league and have success their first few games. But then the D coordinators get tape of them playing at NFL speed, start seeing what bothers them and it gets a lot harder. Remember Tim Rattay?

Often these guys can then adjust and overcome the worst that defenses throw at them, but it takes time.

As for the Titans, where'd their pass defense go?
To Washington.

Seriously, the loss of Albert Haynesworth can't be overstated enough. Good pass defenses are not all about having good corners.

The Jets amazing turnaround on defense is clearly a big story. It's hard to say in two games how much is the jets and how much is the opponents, but as you say - when you hold two teams who score over 30 points on average to an average of 7.5 and no TDs, something's gotta be working. And if you watch, it clearly is. They're putting great pressure on the QB, they're doing a lot of unorthodox blitzes, the LBs are doing much better at dealing with the run and the line is funneling people to the LBs much better. Part of this I think is Ryan dealing with what personnel he has better; he's not trying to mold them into something they're not (that 3-4 plan wasn't so hot). Part of it is bringing the right people; Scott is a good fit for this and is playing the Singletary roll well.

But part of it is clearly coaching.

I'm kinda hoping they do well this year. I like seeing fresh faces on defense, and between Singletary apparently doing well in 49er land (jury's still out for me on this, but they certainly seem more confident) and Ryan, it's a nice year for it.

For Bluray, this line sent in by a Bills Fan to the Simmons column cracked me up:

"Being a Bills fan is like sending your girlfriend off to be a roommate on 'Real World.' Before the season starts you have this foolish hope that she won't let you down. However, in the depths of your being, you know that a few weeks from now, you will be sitting on your couch, watching your beloved fumble away her clothes, getting touchdown after touchdown scored on her."

(Ladies and gentlemen, your 2009 Buffalo Bills!)

To Washington.

Seriously, the loss of Albert Haynesworth can't be overstated enough. Good pass defenses are not all about having good corners.

I mean, I agree, I think it's impossible to overstate the loss of the most dominant defensive player in football last year. Though I remember the new DC in Tennessee saying how he didn't expect any drop off at all, which I guess he has to say, but he seemed pretty emphatic about it. Right now though, it's definitely sounding like bluster.

Jaime, Steelers v Bengals will be a big game for both teams. Bengals are coming off a win in GB. Steelers are coming off a loss in Chicago. Steelers are defending champs and Bengals have a defense. It's a divisional game. It doesn't get much bigger than this for those teams.

Jaime, Steelers v Bengals will be a big game for both teams. Bengals are coming off a win in GB. Steelers are coming off a loss in Chicago. Steelers are defending champs and Bengals have a defense. It's a divisional game. It doesn't get much bigger than this for those teams.

Steelers-Bengals was actually next on my list. And it would've made the top 3 if deep down in my heart of hearts I could see the Bengals winning it. I think the Steelers will find that extra gear that teams used to winning always seem to have against teams that are still learning how to win. But I think they'll be competitive, certainly. And there is the potential for Odom to wreak absolutely havoc on the Steelers O-line/team bus

For Bluray, this line sent in by a Bills Fan to the Simmons column cracked me up:

Yeah, read it.

:bang:

Does the Raiders game getting blacked out mean we get a better game out here this weekend?

Also, I feel like Atlanta-New England isn't going to be a good game. It might be close, but it has the feel for me of a sloppy, aesthetically unpleasant game. I might be nuts.

Jets-Titans is the game of the week, IMO.

just put up the gamecast (damn you direct tv!!!) for the falcons game and, of course, we are losing. there are a lot of pats fans here, so tell me...how is it looking for us both??

looking over the scores, i'm wondering what the future is going to hold for zorn and morris.

Baltimore 34, Cleveland 3.

The sequence of plays that really told the story of the game, I think, was this:

Derek Anderson tries to throw a ball deep (he's only in the game because Quinn got yanked after halftime) and gets intercepted. Ravens run it back a fair amount but get some distance pulled back for a penalty, so they really only get the ball on their own 28 yard line. First play the offense is on the field, Joe Flacco hits Mason on a deep route for a 72 yard TD. Flacco threw for 342 yards and a TD on the day.

Three straight weeks scoring 30+ points. What the hell team am I watching?

Archived