NFL Thread II: Now bringing you more JaMarcus Russell!

Young Wolf

I'm also happy to note that the Bears defense appeared to be largely okay without Urlacher. Perhaps not stellar, but not the huge season-ending dropoff they were predicted to have.

I'm not happy with the continued way the Bears show they cannot tackle a runner at the line. They got away with letting Pittsburgh rip off a few 7-8 yard gains that should have been only 3-4 yard gains, but that may be just because Pittsburgh's rushing isn't so stellar. I'm afraid the next time a rush-oriented team comes calling, like (the real) Adrian Peterson, they are going to shake off those Pop Warner tackles and cruise for some huge yards.

Heaven forbid they get to Cincinnati and Cedric Benson gains 100+ yards on them. The Chicago sports media will implode.

What Cutler did was, I think, objectively worse: he made it clear that he did not want to play for the Broncos because he thought they were a terrible organization. He sulked and wined and never demanded something in return for his good graces. In other words, he was saying to the team "No matter what you do, I will be a problem." Well, you can either sit that jerk down and get him to straighten up and fly right (in the Pats' case "drink the Kool-Aid") OR get rid of him. I believe that the Broncos chose the easier way out and took a step back at the QB slot. However, I think Cutler showed everyone his character, and I for one, did not like what I saw.

So you're going with the story meant to make him look bad. There are two sides. In neither one does he look pristine but in one of them he looks less like the crybaby the sensationalist media portrayed him as (and haters ate up) and more like a guy who stood up for himself. McDaniels came in there and almost immediately tried to trade away the organizations franchise QB for a guy who'd only done adequately in a system set up to break QB records. After that trade fell through, Cutler asked McDaniels straight up if he were going to be Denver's present and future QB and McDaniels would not promise him that. It wasn't a, "hey, if I suck can I still be the starter" it was, "Hey, I'm a Pro Bowl QB who has a pretty darn good future. Gonna stick with me?" and McDaniels said no. So Cutler wanted out. He was brought in by Mike Shanahan to be Denver's franchise QB and this no-named dude comes in and tells him he's outs because he didn't fit the schemes that Kyle fucking Orton did?

Any QB who has proven himself as worthy of starting in the NFL would have reacted the same. Don't drink the kool-aid, Rock. Cutler could have gone about the whole ordeal better, yes, but the fact remains that there were two sides to this, not one.

I'm not happy with the continued way the Bears show they cannot tackle a runner at the line. They got away with letting Pittsburgh rip off a few 7-8 yard gains that should have been only 3-4 yard gains, but that may be just because Pittsburgh's rushing isn't so stellar. I'm afraid the next time a rush-oriented team comes calling, like (the real) Adrian Peterson, they are going to shake off those Pop Warner tackles and cruise for some huge yards.

Heaven forbid they get to Cincinnati and Cedric Benson gains 100+ yards on them. The Chicago sports media will implode.

It was like I said earlier, the defense tries too hard to force a fumble EVERY TIME, which means the ball-carrier usually gets a few more yards after contact because the contact is weak and ineffective. If they'd just tackle the ball carrier instead of the ball they'd force so many more 3 and outs or punts.

So I know everyone takes them with a grain of salt to begin with, but I just looked at the ESPN Power Rankings after week 2 for shits and giggles... and the Ravens are #1? I thought there was some kind of law against Baltimore getting any credit from any national outlet. This kind of makes me nervous. I don't know if I know how to be a football fan without falling back on the old standby Baltimore inferiority complex. I mean, what the hell do you do when you can't play the "nobody respects us" card and you have to be an arrogant dick all the time? Patriots fans, please advise.

So I know everyone takes them with a grain of salt to begin with, but I just looked at the ESPN Power Rankings after week 2 for shits and giggles... and the Ravens are #1? I thought there was some kind of law against Baltimore getting any credit from any national outlet. This kind of makes me nervous. I don't know if I know how to be a football fan without falling back on the old standby Baltimore inferiority complex. I mean, what the hell do you do when you can't play the "nobody respects us" card and you have to be an arrogant dick all the time? Patriots fans, please advise.

definite grain of salt. They have New Orleans ranked 7th. East Coast bias indeed.

I mean, what the hell do you do when you can't play the "nobody respects us" card and you have to be an arrogant dick all the time? Patriots fans, please advise.

You're going to have to start paying attention to the lines in Vegas.

Example:

Baltimore (-13.5) vs CLE (@Balt)

WTF!?!? Winning by TWO touchdowns covers the spread? Bet OVER! Fucking Vegas, disrespecting us IN OUR HOUSE!!

Cheer up, YW. With that raiders win you can pull out the "Jamarcus Russell doesn't have the best stats but he has the same record in 2009 as Tom Brady does" fun times.

I'm doubly impressed he won a game with 7/24 passing for 104 yards (Over Brady's protege no less).

Makes me want to say: "What? You pooped in the fridge? And you ate an entire wheel of cheese? How'd you do that?!"

Ray Lewis knew this was so, so he beat the shit out of Darren Sproles to make the situation clear.

I'm doubly impressed he won a game with 7/24 passing for 104 yards (Over Brady's protege no less).

Makes me want to say: "What? You pooped in the fridge? And you ate an entire wheel of cheese? How'd you do that?!"

Dilfer was ESPN radio this morning. He wasn't always physically gifted, but he was a leader and he's a good analyst in my book. He went off on J Russ -- refering to scouts who had him graded at "3rd round or lower" and how only 1/3 is the arm. 1/3 is intangibles & decision making and 1/3 is leadership. "HE doesn't have the other 2/3". wow. wow. wow.

thank god the cryptkeeper is so smart.

Very often? I do it all the time! Even in this very set of sentences!

I understand your point. My issue is that the Bears beat Chicago and the Pats beat the Bills; the Bears lost to the Packers, and the Pats lost to the Jets. There is not much else we can glean from any of this.

I love it when Rock's hyperbole goes and makes him say crazy things. Spices these threads up some. :P

Good thing no one on the Pats team has ever done that. No primadonna WRs have ever dogged it somewhere so they could get a trade, right?

It's also funny that people refer to a guy as a giant crybaby who played half a year undiagnosed with diabetes (lost almost thirty pounds in a three month stretch and never complained once, never took a play off), has the word "tough" mentioned in EVERY scouting report, has the famous story of jamming a dislocated finger back into place then going out and throwing for a touchdown, and is just, well, tough.

I love it when Rock's hyperbole goes and makes him say crazy things. Spices these threads up some. :P

Do you mean the part about the Bears beating Chicago? Because I was impressed by that myself.

Maybe it was a shot at the Cubs. :P Even the Bears would beat them if Cutler pitched.

It's also funny that people refer to a guy as a giant crybaby who played half a year undiagnosed with diabetes (lost almost thirty pounds in a three month stretch and never complained once, never took a play off), has the word "tough" mentioned in EVERY scouting report, has the famous story of jamming a dislocated finger back into place then going out and throwing for a touchdown, and is just, well, tough.

Physical toughness is different from emotional intelligence. After hearing that McD was interested in trading for Cassel his behavior (towards the owner even) was every bit unprofessional (at least it was portrayed that way in every media outlet I saw/read) due to his wounded pride.

:shrugs: I thought he looked really bad and I'm not sure he has the throwing ability (aside from throwing bullets) to really be one of the best...but he certainly could be and, surprisingly, at this point I am rooting for him.

eta- and not entirely because of fantasy either.

I hate these power rankings. While I agree the Ravens should be around where they are, I can't believe the Bengals went up 2 spots to 24th. We lost on a fluke play and beat GB in GB. And the Packers are 12th after losing at home to us. So annoying.

Archived