Doctor Who: Regenerated discussion

Jon AS

Of course, I knew Jenna-Louise Coleman would continue as Clara for a while, since she’s on the 50th and everything, but why not have the Doctor go on random adventures with her echoes, maybe they could even last longer than an episode, until he accepts her fate, why not?

I was wondering if we'll ever see any of Clara's echoes. I'm guessing probably not since the real Clara is around, but it's possible they could meet one of them, which might be confusing for the echo since they don't seem to remember the Doctor.

I agree that John Hurt is probably the Time War Doctor, and it will be such a pity if this is River's last episode, when we could have a bit more of mature!River. Yeah, I know the character got annoying recently, but I think it would be nice to see her unrelated to the Ponds a bit more.

I'm still wondering whether the Doctor will ever try to rescue her from the Library, it wouldn't even seem to be that hard since her consciousness is saved and the Flesh could be used to give her a new body, but I guess it depends on whether the writers feel they have more to do with the character (and bringing her back would make the ending of Silence in the Library less effective).

I'm still wondering whether the Doctor will ever try to rescue her from the Library, it wouldn't even seem to be that hard since her consciousness is saved and the Flesh could be used to give her a new body, but I guess it depends on whether the writers feel they have more to do with the character (and bringing her back would make the ending of Silence in the Library less effective).

It's possible to bring her back, of course, since it's Doctor Who and what is logic?, but I doubt that's going to happen, and as the best thing about the character is how she dies, it would be as disappointing as it was to see Clara rescued this episode. But I'd still like to see some of post-prison-pre-Library River.

No. I think I get it:

Yep, sounds about right. That was definitely a very effective ending! As usual, the whole thing made very little sense, but it was thoroughly entertaining.

I think its (chronologically) the last time we'll see River (maybe), but he's still got stuff to do with the pre-library River, i.e tell her his name. I think she'll be in the anniversary. She did poijt out that there's some kind of connection between her and Clara.

Curious why the Doctor's death made a scar. Every other dying time lord including the master left a body

Curious why the Doctor's death made a scar. Every other dying time lord including the master left a body

The Master never dies for realsies, he just gets temporarily inconvenienced and comes back later ;)

Really though the answer is that it's "just because" - this is Doctor Who, they kinda make shit up as they go.

A pretty good episode but damn, did they have to leave us hanging till november? I'm fairly sure that this isn't supposed to give any sort of closure for the Trenzalore and Silence arc though, but instead is just a teaser. It seems the true closure for that arc will be next year perhaps after the 50th, when we get the enormous battle were the Doctor dies (the fall of the 11th).

A good episode and it certainly whet the appetite for November. I think I left the episode with more questions than answers, but that's part of the fun.

As for who John hurt is playing, I think most feel he's the Time War era Doctor (prior to that I think a lot of people assumed 8th Doctor that was involved with that) but what if he isn't? It said in the episode that he didn't do those things in the name of the Doctor- so in whose name did he do it?

The Valeyard (maybe, he was always said to be the Doctor's dark side)

The Other (less likely, but you never know)

Omega (again, less likely)

Whatever the case turns out to be, I'm sure we'll all have fun speculating until November rolls around!

We know now that John Hurt is going to be playing the part of The Doctor in the future some time,But not as The "Doctor" Doctor or so 11 would have you believe,Who do you think he's going to play??

Edit:Thank you whoever moved this didn't see this thread before posting the other one.

A good episode and it certainly whet the appetite for November. I think I left the episode with more questions than answers, but that's part of the fun.

As for who John hurt is playing, I think most feel he's the Time War era Doctor (prior to that I think a lot of people assumed 8th Doctor that was involved with that) but what if he isn't? It said in the episode that he didn't do those things in the name of the Doctor- so in whose name did he do it?

The Valeyard (maybe, he was always said to be the Doctor's dark side)

The Other (less likely, but you never know)

Omega (again, less likely)

Whatever the case turns out to be, I'm sure we'll all have fun speculating until November rolls around!

Weren't Omega and The Other contemporaries,I hope it's the Other it'll make things more interesting.

The Time War Doctor was 8,It's not him.

Weren't Omega and The Other contemporaries,I hope it's the Other it'll make things more interesting.

I think it depends on what source you use - one says they were contemporaries, another says they were the same person and another says the Other was an ancient Gallifreyan (and Susan's real Grandfather) and the Doctor as we know him is his reincarnation.

I think it depends on what source you use - one says they were contemporaries, another says they were the same person and another says the Other was an ancient Gallifreyan (and Susan's real Grandfather) and the Doctor as we know him is his reincarnation.

The one I read said The Other,Rassilion and Omega were all contemporaries and The Doctor is his reconstitution from the loom.

The one I read said The Other,Rassilion and Omega were all contemporaries and The Doctor is his reconstitution from the loom.

That was from Lungbarrow, wasn't it? (though some say these books never counted in the first place since the BBC never licenced them)

Reconstitution/reincarnation more or less the same thing. As with all things Who there are many accounts, some of them conflicting, so we'll all have to wait till November to see what this actually turns out to be.

That was from Lungbarrow, wasn't it? (though some say these books never counted in the first place since the BBC never licenced them)

Reconstitution/reincarnation more or less the same thing. As with all things Who there are many accounts, some of them conflicting, so we'll all have to wait till November to see what this actually turns out to be.

Yep,just 6 months and a few days.

We don't really know that.

All we know is that 8 existed. There was the Time War at some point, and then at some point down the line 9 shows up. And we also know The Doctor did some pretty bad shit in the Time War.

The BBC did licence them. Lungbarrow was the final book licenced to Virgin Books before the licence revoked to the BBC, and their own book publishing arm started churning them out.

The novels are also not canon (until the TV show unambiguously says the events of one are, and that only applies to that one) so nothing they say 'counts'. I get the impression that neither RTD nor Moffat are that taken by the Cartmel Masterplan, and I note that none of the writers from that era have been invited back, though AFAIK they're all still active (especially Ben Aaronovitch, who is writing urban fantasy novels).

So the 50th is gonna be some sort of Eternal Sunshine esque journey for The Doctor, John Hurt, and Clara through the Doctor's life? And have something to do with John Hurt doing something really bad and not calling himself The Doctor? Perhaps calling himself something else? But both Matt Smith and John Hurt have a shared birth name that River knows? OK.

Do we know yet if Matt Smith is continuing past the 50th?

The BBC did licence them. Lungbarrow was the final book licenced to Virgin Books before the licence revoked to the BBC, and their own book publishing arm started churning them out.

The novels are also not canon (until the TV show unambiguously says the events of one are, and that only applies to that one) so nothing they say 'counts'. I get the impression that neither RTD nor Moffat are that taken by the Cartmel Masterplan, and I note that none of the writers from that era have been invited back, though AFAIK they're all still active (especially Ben Aaronovitch, who is writing urban fantasy novels).

You'll note that I said some people, not me personally.

The novels/audiobooks are all in the dubiously grey area of 'are they canon or not?'. Some fans consider them canon - though RTD and Moffat seem to have put that to rest conclusively when they did a televised version of The Virgin NA Human Nature (though Author Paul Cornell DID write both episodes.) Mark Gatiss is another NA author involved with the new series, though as far as I know they are the only NA authors to have any involvement in NuWho.

Oh, I forgot RTD. He did a NA book too

Archived