(Season 5 spoilers) Boardwalk Empire: Farewell Daddy Blues

Mark Antony

I wonder if Marcus Garvey will be cast next season

I hope so, and that would be awesome. I do not envy the person that fills that role. Garvey was just intensely charismatic.

I do wonder how they are going to handle the connection between Garvey and Narcisse, though, if they go down that path. The FBI did investigate Garvey, primarily because he was a black nationalist as opposed to being a criminal. I understand he was convicted on some mail fraud charges but I am NOT aware of Garvey being involved in organized crime to any significant degree...

It would have been nice to see Jimmy in Richard's afterlife seeing as the last thing we see of him is a rotten corpse/skeleton.

I don't think that was really an afterlife scene. It was more of Richard hallucinating about what he wished he did instead of going under the Boardwalk and dying. It only happened to have the people that really were there waiting for him.

I don't know how I feel about how neatly the Capone plot was tied up. It seems like Torio got shot just so he could tell Al that he's the boss now. I almost felt like there should be a writer on the show standing there, and after the scene, looking at us and saying "and that's how it happened!"

I don't think that was really an afterlife scene. It was more of Richard hallucinating about what he wished he did instead of going under the Boardwalk and dying. It only happened to have the people that really were there waiting for him.

I don't know how I feel about how neatly the Capone plot was tied up. It seems like Torio got shot just so he could tell Al that he's the boss now. I almost felt like there should be a writer on the show standing there, and after the scene, looking at us and saying "and that's how it happened!"

Well that -is- kind of how it happened. Except they knew for a fact it was Moran and Weiss that did it in real life.

I'm just thinking- there's no reason to have Atlantic City on the show next season: Nucky and Sally in Cuba (which I'm guessing will be a part of it now), Eli, Van Alden and Capone (what a team!) in Chicago, Chalky in some small town, plus Rothstein, Masseria, Luciano, Lansky and Narcisse in New York.

I still gotta give it to that fight in Deadwood, but this reminded me a lot of that.

Yeah.

I do wonder how they are going to handle the connection between Garvey and Narcisse, though, if they go down that path. The FBI did investigate Garvey, primarily because he was a black nationalist as opposed to being a criminal. I understand he was convicted on some mail fraud charges but I am NOT aware of Garvey being involved in organized crime to any significant degree...

The show never portrayed Garvey as being involved in crime.

However, Narcisse is inspired in a real life figure- Casper Holstein- who was involved in organized crime and did support Garvey and his organization, including financially.

Well that -is- kind of how it happened. Except they knew for a fact it was Moran and Weiss that did it in real life.

The weird part for me is that there's so much (artificial?) ambiguity regarding all of the shootings. The show went out of its way to suggest that Torrio ordered the hit on Capone and then Capone then ordered a hit on Torrio, even though presumably the show is following the history and neither is the case.

Then you add in that nobody really knows what happened to O'Banion, since Capone is under the impression that Van Alden did it. And you wonder whether all the false leads are going to amount to anything, which I suspect not.

The show never portrayed Garvey as being involved in crime.

However, Narcisse is inspired in a real life figure- Casper Holstein- who was involved in organized crime and did support Garvey and his organization, including financially.

I didn't mean to suggest that the show had portrayed Garvey as being involved in organize crime. It's mostly a question about the portrayal next season, if Garvey will in fact play a significant role in it. If Garvey is going to play a role and he is NOT going to be portrayed as being involved in organized crime, he would be a rare exception on this show.

Then you add in that nobody really knows what happened to O'Banion, since Capone is under the impression that Van Alden did it. And you wonder whether all the false leads are going to amount to anything, which I suspect not.

Nah mate, Capone knows some plonkers pretending to buy flowers did the deed. He says as much in the episode after.

I didn't mean to suggest that the show had portrayed Garvey as being involved in organize crime. It's mostly a question about the portrayal next season, if Garvey will in fact play a significant role in it. If Garvey is going to play a role and he is NOT going to be portrayed as being involved in organized crime, he would be a rare exception on this show.

Oh, OK. I don't think Garvey will appear, though.

The weird part for me is that there's so much (artificial?) ambiguity regarding all of the shootings. The show went out of its way to suggest that Torrio ordered the hit on Capone and then Capone then ordered a hit on Torrio, even though presumably the show is following the history and neither is the case.

I think that might have a lot to do with the fact they haven't cast an actor for Bugs Moran or most of the Northsiders who weren't O'Bannion.

Wasn't Bugs Moran the kid who unsuccessfully tried to kill Gyp Rossetti at the house back in season three?

That was Bugsy Siegel, not Bugs Moran. Keep in mind that bugs was the common slang of the time for "crazy" so there were a number of gangsters with that nickname.

I'm just thinking- there's no reason to have Atlantic City on the show next season: Nucky and Sally in Cuba (which I'm guessing will be a part of it now), Eli, Van Alden and Capone (what a team!) in Chicago, Chalky in some small town, plus Rothstein, Masseria, Luciano, Lansky and Narcisse in New York.

To me it felt like Nucky was going to stay on in Atlantic City now?.

Archived