(Season 5 spoilers) Boardwalk Empire: Farewell Daddy Blues

Mark Antony

So HBO are axing 2 of its flagship shows this Year, ok I'm not terribly dissapointed about True Blood, it was very good at first but lost the plot a bit and is just a guilty pleasure at this point, but Boardwalk Empire?, that's disappointing.

I hope they have some great new shows coming because I'm not filled with confidence on their latest offerings at the moment.

True Detective looks great I must say, but other than that...

Tony Soprano,

The commission is probably out, doubt they'll be doing that many timeskips. My guess is that Season 5 begins in 1928, and ends in 1929, so that they can cover

Rothstein's death and the St. Valentine's Day Massacre

I think Terry Winter had a lot of time to work on the ending itself and how to get us there, so I doubt it's gonna feel rushed or anything. And that's all I can ask for now, really. I don't really care if it's 8 episodes or 10, as long as they give this incredible show the send-off it deserves.

Finding out that season 5 will be the last season is pretty devastating. But after having time to sit and think about it, most people I talk to seem to agree that season 4 was the best season of the show. I know I for one would rather see Boardwalk Empire go out on top then fizzle of like shows like Dexter did.

This is great news... 5 seasons for anything this good is perfect.... Like Breaking Bad, they'll end a great show on a high note .... unlike Dexter, and Sons of Anarchy which *should have* ended after 5 seasons, but instead hung on to jump their own sharks.

I'll be happy that I'll never have to look back at Boardwalk Empire and talk about how bad the "last 4 seasons" sucked...

Good point for sure although no way BE would ever have gotten even close to as poor in quality as Dexter or SoA with all the amazing History they had to work with. So many great potential story lines, I will be interested to see what kind of time jump they use at the start of season 5 :(

That's really upsetting. Mostly because they're just getting to the interesting part of the story for Capone, Lanskey, Luciano. If this final season is shortened I hope they focus it on Nucky's downfall. Then do a four hour two part HBO movie with Stephen Graham tying up the Chicago storyline.

Damn. I'm surprised but not shocked. Even though it sucks to lose yet another of my favorite shows (at this point all I have is Mad Men and GoT), I'm glad they at least know beforehand that it's the final season. It will be conclusive, anyway, and probably batshit insane knowing this show.

I'd been hearing rumors about this; some of y'all must have too.

I have mixed feelings. I do agree that you don't want a show to fizzle out and just drag on for superfluous seasons. That said, I thought S4 was easily the best of the show so far, and there is so much historical stuff like Capone and Hoover that they could keep playing out for years. I'd say I'm slightly disappointed.

Then there's the part of me that knows that the end of this show likely means the beginning of some new "flagship" show for HBO, and that potential is always curious and exciting.

Lord Flashheart approves this message.

Especially the part about new flagship potential.

I don't even know how they would wrap it all up in 8 episodes. Boardwalk Empire is all about the slow burn, it would be far too rushed.

Trying to wrap up *every* story in one season (that could potentially be 8 episodes) seems like quite the challenge for Boardwalk.

Still, as much as I love the show and am disappointed to see it "axed", I'm sort of glad that it stops it from dragging on well past its prime like many shows out there have done. Although Season 4 seems to get a bit of love on these forums, I actually didn't find it all that interesting and was quite disappointed by the end of it.

Good point for sure although no way BE would ever have gotten even close to as poor in quality as Dexter or SoA with all the amazing History they had to work with. So many great potential story lines, I will be interested to see what kind of time jump they use at the start of season 5 :(

While I'm a supporter of shows not being dragged out I agree the difference here is that we have a heads up for all the great storylines due to the actual history. We never had that luxury with shows like Dexter or Breaking Bad. If I'd known how Dexter would have panned out I could have safely jumped ship a long time ago.

Has the show really being axed/cancelled? From the EW report that was linked it sounds like the creators were happy to wrap it up. This of course could be polite hollywood talk but I don't know, Terrence Winter is possibly up for an Oscar for his "wolf on Wall street" screenplay so maybe he's more interested into moving on to film. I can imagine a lot of the actors may be keen to move on as well.

In terms of wrapping things up, season 4 has already removed two of the main story threads in Richard and Gillian and arguably with Chalky as well. That leaves Nucky and Van Alden. Most of the other characters are major-minor characters like Rothstein, Lucky, Capone etc (which I'd definitely like some big moments for as well). I'm almost inclined for them to just make a great season and say to hell with trying to wrap it all up. I still think Deadwood ends perfectly despite not being a series-conclusion and again we have the history to imagine how things could have continued.

As an aside, I caught American Hustle the other day. Richard Harrow looks really weird with a symmetrical face! The guy who plays Eli also popped up in the film. I can't recall any other BE actors turning up although there may well have been.

Five seasons is enough for Nucky's character to run its course, but I would have loved to have at least two more seasons of Capone and Luciano when they're solidifying their positions. Hoover's investigation of the black "revolutionaries" would also have been able to produce some great material.

Archived