(Season 5 spoilers) Boardwalk Empire: Farewell Daddy Blues

Mark Antony

• 2 weeks later...

" The trick is to stay alive long enough to cash out. "

This short teaser did nothing but build even more hype for the upcoming season. It's really sad to see it go, but I have a feeling it's gonna go out with a bang, and I'd rather have that than see this beautiful show take the Dexter and True Blood route.

Also, something tells me Nucky won't cash out.

" The trick is to stay alive long enough to cash out. "

This short teaser did nothing but build even more hype for the upcoming season. It's really sad to see it go, but I have a feeling it's gonna go out with a bang, and I'd rather have that than see this beautiful show take the Dexter and True Blood route.

Also, something tells me Nucky won't cash out.

Omg. Seriously so pumped. My favorite show on tv by a decent margin.

I am so sad its ending :(

What doesn't make sense to me, is that they spent a lot of scene-time setting up the Rothstein/Margaret sub plot.... so if they begin the season in '31, with Rothstein already dead, they'd have to abandon that arc.... and for that matter, probably Margaret

I just don't see them doing that, but I trust this show's writers.

Also... major props for ending in 5 seasons, and not milking the cow dry.

What doesn't make sense to me, is that they spent a lot of scene-time setting up the Rothstein/Margaret sub plot.... so if they begin the season in '31, with Rothstein already dead, they'd have to abandon that arc.... and for that matter, probably Margaret

I just don't see them doing that, but I trust this show's writers.

Also... major props for ending in 5 seasons, and not milking the cow dry.

I really can't see them having Rothstein die off-screen. Unless the actor refused to return. They have made it clear that telling the story they want to tell trumps historical accuracy when the choice has to be made.

The show has generally stayed as close to historical accuracy as possible (at least as it concerns the real-life gangsters that aren't Nucky), but I can most definitely see them playing around with the timelines of some events in order to craft the most satisfying final season possible.

I mean, I don't think anyone should expect them to gimp themselves in an effort to remain as true to history as possible. I still wish we were getting a full season, at least (since six was probably off the table entirely), but I have more than enough faith in the creative talent involved to believe that they'll go out on a high-note.

Given the casting information coming out regarding the show that Scorsese, Winter, etc. are moving on to, I think we'll be getting a more than suitable replacement sooner than later. Still, this show is truly one of the greats, and I'll be sad to see it go. I understand that its methodical approach to story-telling and character development can be a bit off-putting for some, but when the pay-offs are so fantastic... Hopefully more people will come to appreciate this series for the masterpiece that it is down the line, when they can barrel through the entire series in quick succession.

Hopefully more people will come to appreciate this series for the masterpiece that it is down the line, when they can barrel through the entire series in quick succession.

I think it will. The Wire wasn't very popular while it was on, I was the only person I knew that even watched it from the beginning, but now you very seldom see a best tv shows list without it. I hope BE will be similar.

Still, this show is truly one of the greats, and I'll be sad to see it go. I understand that its methodical approach to story-telling and character development can be a bit off-putting for some, but when the pay-offs are so fantastic... Hopefully more people will come to appreciate this series for the masterpiece that it is down the line, when they can barrel through the entire series in quick succession.

I agree so much

I understand that its methodical approach to story-telling and character development can be a bit off-putting for some, but when the pay-offs are so fantastic... Hopefully more people will come to appreciate this series for the masterpiece that it is down the line, when they can barrel through the entire series in quick succession.

I think its the kind of show that some people would not really like from the first episode and that's costing it some viewers. I was kinda bored at the first 5-10 episodes but after that I started enjoying the whole setting and plot much more.

I agree with the show start. I found I had to marathon the first two seasons. After that I usually binge watched the first 3 and was then happily able to watch it on a weekly basis so either they improved or I got used to the storytelling. Thinking back there were quite a lot of characters and stories to establish,

I think the show greatly improved in season 2. Buscemi was basically carrying the show at first, and then the supporting cast really stepped it up. Particularly Michael Pitt, who turned Jimmy Darmody from a brooding puppy into a feral beast.

Not to mention that Michael Stuhlbarg started to have a larger and more interesting role as Arnold Roethstein.

Each season I ask myself the same question, get my hopes up, and then have to deal with the savage consequences of my dreams dashed into the putrid Jersey sand.

Now, for the last time ever, I will ask: Is this the season where Mickey Doyle rises up and takes his rightful spot as king?

I wait with baited breath.

back september 7th, 8 episodes confirmed :crying: :(

Damn. Hopefully they feel like "not a second wasted" rush than a "why the fuck are you spending a whole episode on [insert something utterly inconsequential]" plod.

Archived