(Season 5 spoilers) Boardwalk Empire: Farewell Daddy Blues

Mark Antony

I hope so, and that would be awesome. I do not envy the person that fills that role. Garvey was just intensely charismatic.

I do wonder how they are going to handle the connection between Garvey and Narcisse, though, if they go down that path. The FBI did investigate Garvey, primarily because he was a black nationalist as opposed to being a criminal. I understand he was convicted on some mail fraud charges but I am NOT aware of Garvey being involved in organized crime to any significant degree...

He owned a shipping company. I've also never heard of him having anything to do with any criminal enterprises beyond the mail fraud. Still he did own ships during prohibition so I suppose its possible.

So something I wondered, is Eli supposed to have recognized Van Alden? I can't remember the finer details of that scene (it passed me by rather quickly) and I haven't rewatched, though I intend to. Did he and Eli ever cross paths before?

I honestly can't wait for the inevitable Van Alden/Nucky confrontation.

I assume that Nucky was still planning on leaving Atlantic City (for the time being), but that he had given June and the rest of Eli's children his 'home' at the hotel. I can't imagine they would want to stay in the house where Knox had been murdered.

Yeah they are definitely not at that house anymore all I was saying was Nucky isn't going to Cuba with Sally anymore at least not right away

that's a great point RE van alden and Eli, With all the other developments that one passed me by completely. Given what just happened to Eli he's going to have a hard time thinking VA isn't an agent. Mayve Capone will defend or use the fact VA kills as proof he isn't a cop? It will be interesting to see how that's resolved.

that's a great point RE van alden and Eli, With all the other developments that one passed me by completely. Given what just happened to Eli he's going to have a hard time thinking VA isn't an agent. Mayve Capone will defend or use the fact VA kills as proof he isn't a cop? It will be interesting to see how that's resolved.

Capone isn't aware of any of Van Alden's murders, is he? Still, Eli knows Van Alden was accused of murdering agent Sesbo and then fled town.

Capone isn't aware of any of Van Alden's murders, is he? Still, Eli knows Van Alden was accused of murdering agent Sesbo and then fled town.

I thought Capone thought he killed O'Bannion? But otherwise he hasn't. VA needs to kill someone on the job pretty quick. I guess Eli may realise VA is a fugitive but there'd still need to be a good reason not to rat him out.

I thought Capone thought he killed O'Bannion? But otherwise he hasn't. VA needs to kill someone on the job pretty quick. I guess Eli may realise VA is a fugitive but there'd still need to be a good reason not to rat him out.

Capone or Torrio sent Frankie Yale to kill O'Bannion, if I remember right Capone even jokes about an "unsatisfied customer" killing him. I also seem to remember one of the Capones telling Torrio that "Muller" helped them out on the O'Bannion thing. It's possible Van Alden's job was to be there at that time as O'Bannion's backup, and then betray him by not doing anything. I'm still pretty unclear on the whole thing.

Capone or Torrio sent Frankie Yale to kill O'Bannion, if I remember right Capone even jokes about an "unsatisfied customer" killing him. I also seem to remember one of the Capones telling Torrio that "Muller" helped them out on the O'Bannion thing. It's possible Van Alden's job was to be there at that time as O'Bannion's backup, and then betray him by not doing anything. I'm still pretty unclear on the whole thing.

I believe what they're going for is that Yale was sent by someone else, (not the Capones or Torrio) and at first Capone thought Mueller did it, but eventually the real story came out. When it did, Capone didn't care because he was so happy to see O'Bannion gone.

That would also come reasonably close to mirroring real life.

I didn't feel anything when Maybelle died. Just didn't have any kind of connection with her. I was more upset that Richard fucked up. I knew Richard was done for when he said goodbye to Tommy. Richard is one of my favorite characters in any kind of show, book, or movie ever. As sad as it is to say, his story arc had run its course. A Wisconsin pacifist is not going to have a part in Boardwalk. I love Richard and his last couple scenes were heartbreaking, but they were necessary. RIP Richard...

yeah there might be a confrontation about it but they can easily find that he left the agency . Still Al's reaction will be explosive

It will be fun to watch. Given the show's bloodthirsty attitude towards invented characters I have to fear for Chalky and Van Alden. I don't think they'll both walk out into season 6. Assuming there is a season 6.

I didn't feel anything when Maybelle died. Just didn't have any kind of connection with her. I was more upset that Richard fucked up. I knew Richard was done for when he said goodbye to Tommy. Richard is one of my favorite characters in any kind of show, book, or movie ever. As sad as it is to say, his story arc had run its course. A Wisconsin pacifist is not going to have a part in Boardwalk. I love Richard and his last couple scenes were heartbreaking, but they were necessary. RIP Richard...

I agree. Part of me would have liked him to just retire in the countryside with his family. Characters don't have to die when they no longer serve a purpose in the story. The actor playing Richard made a good argument for why he had to die though that was fairly convincing.

I agree. Part of me would have liked him to just retire in the countryside with his family. Characters don't have to die when they no longer serve a purpose in the story. The actor playing Richard made a good argument for why he had to die though that was fairly convincing.

But they do have to die. It A) prevents any future ill-advised return or cameo and B ) provokes a final emotional response.

There's a time and a place for a hero to retire/ live happily ever after, and that's at the end.

Archived