Makeup 4: Makeup Shotgun Edition

Xray the Enforcer

My face and legs simply refuse to tan, so I wouldn't mind getting something that works, but doesn't make me look like a complete fool.

But I have a question about tattoos. Would applying things like fake tan or tinted moisturiser affect the quality of your tattoos? I'm hesitant to put anything on them that might ruin them. I'm getting my arm finished off next week, so I'm not sure how long to wait once it's healed.

Firstly, just heal your tattoos exactly the way your artists advises you to. This most likely will not involve fake tan.

Secondly, once they are fully healed you can treat them the same way you would the rest of your skin.

Hi my beloveds. I have a question. I've been told to use a toner by more than one makeup person and facial person. What exactly is it? Do I really need one? Which kind? Thanks for the advice.

I have oily skin and I use witch hazel as a toner. Is your skin oily? I think that's the most common reason it would be recommended, it's also possible they were trying to sell you more products. However even if you have dry skin using something like rose water without alcohol probably wouldn't dry your skin. For my skin rose water definitely does nothing for the oiliness.

I got Nostalgia, Bikini Bottoms, and Cutie Pop. My rationale is that I have stopped drinking for a while for vanity purposes and therefore the money I'm not spending on wine can now be spent on nail polish. :thumbsup:

Mine is that I don't go out dancing or drinking, so why not spend that money I won't use on nail polish? :D

My nails are bright blue and white now, for the World Cup. I've had the same mani for three days, it's starting to bother me...

Hi my beloveds. I have a question. I've been told to use a toner by more than one makeup person and facial person. What exactly is it? Do I really need one? Which kind? Thanks for the advice.

I've found toner to be worse than useless and is one of those things that people try to push on you to sell you more crap. But YMMV, etc.

The verdict is split on toner. If you google it, you'll see very reasonable blogs about how toner is a scam pulled on women just to get them to buy more product, and other ones that say it helps your skin. I've bought packaged deals of Clinique product that included toner and have used it, and I find it does do some extra cleaning and makes my skin feel pleasant after use, but whether or not the claims that it helps our skin are true is a different issue.

If I use toner I also use plain witch hazel. It's about $2 at the drugstore. I've found it does help with mild acne, redness, and eczema. It's also the common ingredient in most hemorrhoid medicines because it's gentle and good for inflammation :lol:

Eta: Dracarya, I've used self tanner on my tattoo and never had an issue (after it healed and all of course).

Hmmn. So toner is used as a refresher after cleansing or a refresher before applying makeup. I have used it instead of washing my face, when I have been sweating in the Florida sun, but don't quite need a soap/cleanser. I will continue to use the one I purchased, but won't buy any more. I'm such a sucker!!

I'm curious to know how you like it!

I used it today, and it looked and felt fine, but then I went out shopping and stopped off at Winners. When I went in to try something on, I saw in the mirror that my arms and legs seemed to look a tad orangey, and when I put it on I did not do the tops of my feet (I wore sandals) and I could see the difference. Maybe no one else can, but I could. I also guess I need to wash the stuff off or take a shower before bed.

I'll still try using it, but.....

Regarding toner, I think it's beyond useless. If I've got tons of makeup on, I'll use Cetaphil first, and then my cleanser. Which is Dr. Bronner's almond soap. Because it is the BOMB.

I use sunless tanning lotion once a year or so, but cannot handle the smell. Even the odorless ones stink. It's horrific. So I just walk around all Casper-like, pretending I'm Nichole Kidman. :/

Regarding toner, I think it's beyond useless. If I've got tons of makeup on, I'll use Cetaphil first, and then my cleanser. Which is Dr. Bronner's almond soap. Because it is the BOMB.

I use sunless tanning lotion once a year or so, but cannot handle the smell. Even the odorless ones stink. It's horrific. So I just walk around all Casper-like, pretending I'm Nichole Kidman. :/

Good gods, we really are twins. We use Almond Dr. Bronners as well. LOVE that stuff. I do not use any tanning products whatsoever, though. I actively enjoy being a really pasty white motherfucker.

One of the advantages of having lived in Arizona and Southern California for more than 20 years, is that my face and arms have become permanently tan, but now that I've been wearing skirts,dresses and even capris, my legs do not look like they belong to me. Getting my legs to match the rest of me is going to be interesting.

If I use toner I also use plain witch hazel. It's about $2 at the drugstore. I've found it does help with mild acne, redness, and eczema. It's also the common ingredient in most hemorrhoid medicines because it's gentle and good for inflammation :lol:

Eta: Dracarya, I've used self tanner on my tattoo and never had an issue (after it healed and all of course).

I can vouch for Witch Hazel. It's awesome and way better than even the really expensive toners.

Good gods, we really are twins. We use Almond Dr. Bronners as well. LOVE that stuff. I do not use any tanning products whatsoever, though. I actively enjoy being a really pasty white motherfucker.

Normally I don't mind being radioactive white but a few months a go I scrubbed the carpet whilst wearing shorts and had a reaction to the shampoo so my shins are a hot mess of splotchy skin and I need something to even them out because I look diseased.

N

Normally I don't mind being radioactive white but a few months a go I scrubbed the carpet whilst wearing shorts and had a reaction to the shampoo so my shins are a hot mess of splotchy skin and I need something to even them out because I look diseased.

N

Totally understood. I do not judge anyone who uses a tanner/bronzer, because there are so many reasons that one might opt for that. :)

Whoops didn't see this. Yeah, of course I meant once they're healed, but I was a bit concerned about it affecting the quality of the tattoo. I don't suppose I'll use it often enough for it to matter, though.

I've only ever used those build-up moisturiser tan thingies. Does anyone recommend a decent, but preferably cheap, fake tan?

Archived