Makeup 4: Makeup Shotgun Edition

Xray the Enforcer

Has anyone else had this problem? I regularly use a fairly high sunblocking sunscreen, 50 or more, but still wind up with freckles, like the sun's not burning me, but just bringing out spots.

I'm considering walking around with an umbrella.

I've got a very fair complexion and nothing I've tried stops the freckles. For some reason my face doesn't freckle, but my shoulders/arms/back look like I've been beat with a freckle stick! I guess it's to be expected when most of my family is from Scotland, and you immigrate to California and then move to Florida.

Supposedly you can mix eggplant and buttermilk and rub it on your skin and that fades the spots. I think I'll just live with the freckles.

I got a sample of Supergoop sunscreen in my Birchbox this month. It is very lightweight, non-irritating (though I don't have especially sensitive skin, I put it around my eyes no problem), no smell, no caked white mess. I can't say about the water/sweat proof-ness of it, I haven't had a chance to really put it to the test.

But so far I really like it. I'm thinking of trying their cc cream for my summer foundation.

I like their sunscreen and I wore the city serum today. I didn't really love my sample of CC cream. They only offer two complexions and it didn't really work with my skin tone.

Has anyone else had this problem? I regularly use a fairly high sunblocking sunscreen, 50 or more, but still wind up with freckles, like the sun's not burning me, but just bringing out spots.

I'm considering walking around with an umbrella.

And avoid staying long under the sun in the "cancer hour" (from 11am to 4pm).

This was the first summer that I, although using sunblocker every single day, got sun freckles in my face. And I'm not that fair skinned.

They eventually went away, but still! I'm particularly picky about sun exposure, so it bothered me.

(I live in the south hemisphere, so my summer 2014 already passed).

Has anyone else had this problem? I regularly use a fairly high sunblocking sunscreen, 50 or more, but still wind up with freckles, like the sun's not burning me, but just bringing out spots.I'm considering walking around with an umbrella.

And avoid staying long under the sun in the "cancer hour" (from 11am to 4pm).

This was the first summer that I, although using sunblocker every single day, got sun freckles in my face. And I'm not that fair skinned.

They eventually went away, but still! I'm particularly picky about sun exposure, so it bothered me.

(I live in the south hemisphere, so my summer 2014 already passed).

I don't get freckles, but my redness gets worse. I use an 50 SPF and a hat, and I still get lingering redness.

I think a lot of this is a medicine I'm taking - but I dunno.

I don't get freckles, but my redness gets worse. I use an 50 SPF and a hat, and I still get lingering redness.

I think a lot of this is a medicine I'm taking - but I dunno.

Oh, I get red too. My face sweats everything away, I turn beet red (almost purple) and am generally uncomfortable in the sun. My husband's the opposite type - loves the sun, tans well, has dark hair, etc.

I'm actually somewhat upset that the clouds and rain we were supposed to get today haven't made an appearance yet.

That website is dangerous, yo.

But I really do swear by Medieval. Nice formula, so it doesn't get all dry and gross, and just enough tint to make me look less like a corpse than usual.

My next shipment of stinkwasser -- this one from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab -- should be here in the next day or so.

Over the weekend, Xray showed me her latest lipstick find and now I want this:

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod5120091

I've also spent twenty or so minutes watching product videos at the Lipstick Queen website.

Wow. Those colors are intense. I love them. I may try the Medieval that X-ray mentions, simply because every color she wears, I can wear as well. It's like having my very own personal shopper. :)

I gotta give props to my girl, J. When I was bitching about my face being really shiny, she told me to buy the Murad spf15 oil-control mattifying lotion. Woman does not lie: that shit is great.

ES -- It's a very subtle tint, great for those days when you're rocking a more natural look.

re: redness. A lot of that can be attributed to things other than sun exposure. My skin is effin' transparent, so every time I blush, or I drink even a tiny bit, I end up with a red face.

Talked about it before, here are a couple of photos from my photo shoot. The make up artist went for a light pink lipstick with the red dress, then putting a darker vibrant red over it for the black dress. I really loved how I looked, and I wish I could acquire the skill to do this myself, but that would take effort and I'm too lazy :p The eyes aren't full blown cats eyes, but it's a lot more dramatic than I can manage as my blink reflex kicks in as soon as I go near the top line of eyelashes!

I like their sunscreen and I wore the city serum today. I didn't really love my sample of CC cream. They only offer two complexions and it didn't really work with my skin tone.

Well that's disappointing about the CC cream, but thanks for the info. I won't order it unless I can sample it first.

I put the sunscreen to the test Monday, spending about 3 hrs out on the lake in the sun. I sweated a lot and the Supergoop held up well. It was more of a sweating through it than it dripping off my face in white streaks and burning my eyes. And I only applied it once and didn't burn.

I have a 20% off a single item coupon from Ulta. At that rate its not worth picking up one of my regular items as they are all less than $10. Seems like a good time to experiment with a newer item for fun. Might look into the Murad item XRay mentioned above. But if anyone has any fun product suggestions, let me know!

I gotta give props to my girl, J. When I was bitching about my face being really shiny, she told me to buy the Murad spf15 oil-control mattifying lotion. Woman does not lie: that shit is great.

ES -- It's a very subtle tint, great for those days when you're rocking a more natural look.

re: redness. A lot of that can be attributed to things other than sun exposure. My skin is effin' transparent, so every time I blush, or I drink even a tiny bit, I end up with a red face.

I knew if I popped into this thread good things would happen. I need to try this stuff out immediately. I'm sick of this oil depository that appears on my face about two hours after I wash it.

Talked about it before, here are a couple of photos from my photo shoot. The make up artist went for a light pink lipstick with the red dress, then putting a darker vibrant red over it for the black dress. I really loved how I looked, and I wish I could acquire the skill to do this myself, but that would take effort and I'm too lazy :p The eyes aren't full blown cats eyes, but it's a lot more dramatic than I can manage as my blink reflex kicks in as soon as I go near the top line of eyelashes!

I would have never thought about pairing pink with red but it works perfectly. Alas my lips are too dark for pink. I have to wear darker colors or just lip gloss. My neutrals are brown orange and yellow. Those photos are just wow. Fantastic. :)

Flyby: Sephora offers a sun safety kit with a bunch of sample sizes, including Supergoop and Murad.

I went and looked at this at lunch and ended up buying it. A ton of products for that price! My problem is I never know if a product is going to work for me until about 4 hours into using it. So this is a good way to try a bunch of sun blocking products to see which I can tolerate and which works best.

Archived