2014 Reading Self-Challenge

Inigima

I have finished books 8-10 from my list. I have to Change my target from 15 to at least 20 or more.

The last 3 books I have finished:

Corum reread (both trlogies): Not bad but has not aged that well. Or maybe it is me who has not aged that well :)

I have planned a reread of Elric as well.

Songs of the earth: Well written, I really enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of "The Name of the Wind" - not only the German cover

Farlander: Very entertaining read - shocking Twist right before the end.

Additions to my pile:

The path of anger

Echos of Empire

The grim company

The whale road

Left from the old pile:

The wise man`s fear

Started "The Hunger games 2 - Catching fire". That one was a present from my parents. I liked the movie of part 1 but I am a Little bit puzzled that the Story is told first Person - present times.

So, as well as the Accursed Kings series, I just added the Summer Queen and Rogues to my to read pile after my exams....

Coincidentally, my last exam is on the day Rogues is released :) I think I will start with that one.

Hmm, then yes, I have read it... I didn't like it either... Something about the feel of it... Not sure - it's been a couple of years since I read it.

It's Stephen King trying to be William Faulkner and he's no Faulkner. Later books are written in King's typical style. It's also actually a series of short stories hooked together to form a novel.

IM - If book length is a turn-off for you, watch out for The Stand ... my (e-book) version was over 1400 pages.

Edit: Just wanted to add that in general I think King is a great writer - almost nobody can capture mood, tension, and atmosphere like him. IT is one of the best books I've read (leaving the ending aside perhaps), so I am a fan. But the man needs an editor BAD. Under the Dome could have been a fucking masterpiece if he had cut 300 pages from it.

It's Stephen King trying to be William Faulkner and he's no Faulkner. Later books are written in King's typical style. It's also actually a series of short stories hooked together to form a novel.

Oh really, I didn't know that.

IM - If book length is a turn-off for you, watch out for The Stand ... my (e-book) version was over 1400 pages.

Edit: Just wanted to add that in general I think King is a great writer - almost nobody can capture mood, tension, and atmosphere like him. IT is one of the best books I've read (leaving the ending aside perhaps), so I am a fan. But the man needs an editor BAD. Under the Dome could have been a fucking masterpiece if he had cut 300 pages from it.

Normally I love long books, but when I chose to read Carrie I was looking for a novel, that wasn't too long and was by someone I knew, so I could get the feel of horror. Maybe I should have researched it a bit better before I bought it, because I don't think Carrie was quite what I wanted, but it's started me off anyway.

I will read The Stand and IT though - just after I read more of my books I've already got (some of them have been waiting about 1 -2 years to be read lol)

Finished two books today:

- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle- Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig.

- A Hero With a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell

Both books took me awhile to read though - mainly because I had to put them down for various reasons

Zen was an OK book, though I felt it dragged on in the middle a bit. I preferred the start and the ending (though I wasn't 100% pleased with the ending - not sure why though).

Hero was a good book to read though at times a bit... dense. I read it bit by bit and took notes while I was going. I mainly read it to help with my own writing. It's a good book to have on hand though - I can see myself reading it over and over while writing my own stories

I'm still going to keep reading 8 books so today I have started: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins and Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction by Orson Scott Card, Phillip Athans and Jay Lake

So now my list looks like this:

On Writing - S King

Writers Workshop of Horror - M Knost

Dangerous Women (still - bit by bit) - GRRM and Dozois

Prince of Thorns - M Lawrence

The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science fiction - P Athens

The Pillow Book of the Flower Samurai - B Lazar

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction - Orson Scott Card, Phillip Athans and Jay Lake

ETA

I will also be getting Rogues when that comes out - though I will probably drop some books until I have finished 'The Rogue Prince' or whatever GRRM story is called. Then I might put it aside until I've finished Dangerous Women or something - that's if I can put it down LOL

I'd like to join you, if that's okay. :)

I usually set my goal to 50 books a year but this year but I just don't seem to get started this year. So I'll stick to 30 this time.

Books I've read so far:

1. Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
2. A Study in Scarlet - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
3. The Sign of the Four - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. Traveling on One Leg - Herta Müller
5. Lekcje pana Kuki - Radek Knapp

Books I've started but not finished yet:
Unsaid Things - McFly
Mesmerized - Alissa Walser
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
Coraline - Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

Katzenberge - Sabrina Janesch

23/50, which Goodreads tells me is on track to meet my goal.

I had fallen behind schedule with some long historical novels (The Welsh Princes series by Sharon Kay Penman), so last week I picked up several paranormal mysteries from the library (the fun, silly kind that you can read in an afternoon) I really needed some fun silliness in my life, and these were perfect for that. (Ghost Hunter series by Victoria Laurie) :)

15/26 - I was ahead of schedule, but spending a month reading Infinite Jest (which does not count toward this list of 26) put me back on the 2 books/month schedule.

Finished GGK's Sailing to Sarantium.

About to start Richard Adam's Shardik.

Archived