College Football: Offseason coaching drama and crootin'

MisterOJ

10 minutes to the first kickoff of the season so I am obligated to give one of these...

Hook em Horns !!!

Should I respond with the obligatory

S-E-C!

S-E-C!

S-E-C!

Well, so much for the idea of a close game: Texas up 21 - 0 over North Texas at the half: they have dominated the game on both sides of the ball.

Well, I think that there defense has looked really solid, but offensively, they have seemed a little sluggish considering their level of competition.

They held UNT to 30 yards and have three picks which should be expected, but they have only gained 180 yards on offense. I am a little worried about that when it comes time to play real teams.

Well it sounds like I missed the best football last night after I fell asleep on the couch (was a busy day). Cat's offense showed some shades of Tim Couch from the 90's... the first time since the days of Woodson and co. that they were exciting to watch. All this said against a FCS school... and unfortunately the bad side is the defense looked much like the Tim Couch days as well, where we routinely lost SEC games 70-something to 50-something. Our D-line got pushed around by UT-Martin, who was fairly able to have their way rushing, particularly when our second stringers were in there in the 4Q (turnover margin of +5 helped erase a lot of that pushing around). It will be ugly against SEC schools, I'm afraid, but should at least be watchable for the offense. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me. I won't give up hope on my 7 wins until it becomes obvious there is no hope. :/

At least I had a decent day in Pick'em... my first two weeks are usually atrocious until I get a feel for the teams out there. I'll take second place and be happy (and still two games today)

-Cal probably had the best win by winning @ Northwestern given that Cal only won one game last year.

Cal deserved the win but neither team really impressed me. Even when Northwestern started to come from behind, I never really felt like they would be able to punch it home for the win. This was probably a good warm-up game for Cal, but I think they'll need to play better (particularly on defense) for Oregon, UCLA and Stanford.

Hard to make a judgement after one game but I think it's fair to say that people who were putting UCLA as one of their picks for the playoff might have jumped the gun on the Bruins. UVA is a terrible team. I accept that they are better than last year, but I don't think I can accept that they are good enough to basically shut down the offense of one of the 4 best teams in the country. I just don't see UCLA getting through their schedule unscathed. They have to play the whole Pac 12 South where it looks like USC + ASU + Arizona are all going to be pretty good teams and they also play Oregon and Stanford AND an upcoming ooc game against Texas. If they make it through all that they'll definitely deserve that spot, but i don't see it.

Hard to make a judgement after one game but I think it's fair to say that people who were putting UCLA as one of their picks for the playoff might have jumped the gun on the Bruins. UVA is a terrible team. I accept that they are better than last year, but I don't think I can accept that they are good enough to basically shut down the offense of one of the 4 best teams in the country. I just don't see UCLA getting through their schedule unscathed. They have to play the whole Pac 12 South where it looks like USC + ASU + Arizona are all going to be pretty good teams and they also play Oregon and Stanford AND an upcoming ooc game against Texas. If they make it through all that they'll definitely deserve that spot, but i don't see it.

Yeah I've been wondering about UCLA's #7 preseason ranking (not that I put much stock in preseason rankings). I didn't watch them much last year, so I can't speak to whether their team is a legitimate top 10 contender, but they give me a Clemson type vibe with their expectations.

Having just moved out to the Bay Area (and currently staying in Berkeley for a short time), this will be my first Pac-12 focused football watching season. Should be very interesting and looking forward to it.

Random musings on the Pac-12 after the first weekend:

-USC was looked scary-good against Fresno. Not the best competition but not a 1-AA team either, and they blew them out like it was the Pete Carrol era. Kessler looked as good as a pocket passer can. It's always the question with USC: what if they never stopped being the most talented team and get a boost from Sark just for being kind of normal and not being Kiffin?

Never underestimate the power of the "not-kiffin" bonus a team or coach receives.

Remember how auburn didn't make the national championship game last year because everyone knew they were terrible after their mighty struggle to overcome Washington state in their opener last year?

Archived