College Football: Offseason coaching drama and crootin'

MisterOJ

Geez, those are some terrible games, mostly, this week.

Nice Article Kal, I picked against Oregon because of it, I still expect them to win, but now I don't think they cover. Given your access to magical number machines, do you know what it is about the Missouri/Toledo matchup that is causing the spread to be so low and also why the spread is steadily falling? I felt confident about that game last week, now I'm a bit worried.

Geez, those are some terrible games, mostly, this week.

Yeah, but I'm thinking Stanford/USC followed by Oregon/MSU should make for killer entertainment, especially once the beer kicks in.

(And the bonus round of ND/Michigan, for those of us with personal attachments or who just get into rivalry games.)

The postponed Florida v Idaho game has been declared a no contest and won't be rescheduled. So how does that work? If Florida were to finish 5-6, are they considered bowl eligible? On the far other end, if they are at one loss; does playing one less game make them less attractive for the playoff?

The postponed Florida v Idaho game has been declared a no contest and won't be rescheduled. So how does that work? If Florida were to finish 5-6, are they considered bowl eligible? On the far other end, if they are at one loss; does playing one less game make them less attractive for the playoff?

I don't think it will matter at the top end.

At the bottom, I'm pretty sure UF is shit out of luck if they go 5-6.

Well Mike, time for another season...War Eagle, brother!! I am aware of Arkansas rushing acumen but it doesn't frighten me even slightly. The hogs will be slaughtered today at Jordan hare. I am calling it 45-20. Cam and Nick will both bust 100 yrs rushing and duke and Sammie both catch TDs. Also throwing out the tOSU upset by the midshipmen. More later, posting from a tablet sucks.

War Eagle, DP!

Nice call on the final score! You could rack up in Vegas.

Some belated thoughts:

Jeremy Johnson is good. He throws off his back foot every now and again, which causes the ball to sail on him, but for a QB starting his first SEC game, he looked great.

I'd put our WR corps against any in college football. Sammie had a bad game, Duke and Melvin killed it. When defenses start rolling their safeties to the middle of the field to take away Duke and CJ, Sammie and Ricardo will blow up on the outside.

Once the OL gelled a bit, we started dominating the LoS. CAP and Grant looked very capable. I'm still anxious to see Barber and Roc get some touches, but the two seniors are quality backs and both should have a good season.

The defense worried me in the first half. I thought it was a scheme thing since our DL was getting upfield, and the adjustments Ellis made were spot on. Our guys held the point of attack against a huge OL. Bodes well for later in the season when we see UGA and Alabama.

Cassanova will be a monster by the end of the year. I like that he is getting some reps at DE since he is strong enough and quick enough to get back there, but we need some other guys to step up until Lawson comes back.

Our kicker/punter is awesome.

I've become more optimistic about the season after watching us dominate the 2nd half, but we still have a tough row to hoe, so I'm not quite ready to say we will be in Atlanta. But I'm getting there.

War Eagle, brother!

It's a weird circumstance. What's even weirder is Muschamp's decision to let his suspended players off with "time served" and allow them to play this week versus Eastern Michigan. How do you suspend a player for a game that wasn't played? :lol:

It's a weird circumstance. What's even weirder is Muschamp's decision to let his suspended players off with "time served" and allow them to play this week versus Eastern Michigan. How do you suspend a player for a game that wasn't played? :lol:

Muschamp lashed out a bit about this the other day. To him the "suspensions" were much more than the 3 hour game. Discipline for him revolves around making sure players understand what they did wrong and prove (through actions) that they are willing to make amends to the team and the school. Outside of just the game this means doing what's expected in practice, meetings, classes, weight room, etc. And to him these players all did the work necessary to prove they wanted to be members of the team again.

His disciplinary record is squeaky clean since he got here, and we've done a total 180 from the veritable prison yard Meyer left us, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Losing the game is a bummer, but I understand not wanting to give up that bye week. For either team. It would have been 9 straight weeks to end the year for us, and 10 I think for Idaho. That's tough. I don't think much will be made one way or the other about not playing Idaho in terms of determining our fate at the end of the year. And I do not expect we will need that win to be bowl-eligible this year. If we're relying on an Idaho victory to make a bowl the season has turned disastrous, and either all our players are hurt again or we're working with an interim head coach. And it won't matter for the SEC anyway, so who cares really? All about winning the East this year.

I am more than ready to actually watch them play football right now though...

Go Gators!

I'm pretty sure they get to count an FCS game toward their bowl eligibility if they have one.

ETA: This was what Colorado was told last year (which ended up not being relevant) - I remember this because all the local coverage was about all the things that were being closed down from the flooding. I was commuting to Boulder for work then and everything ground to a stop.

I think Oregon wins but dunno about beating the spread (I think I have MSU in Pick'em). I think the Ducks pull ahead early but MSU will chip away at it throughout the game. Or Oregon may blow them out, that's usually what happens when I pick against them.

In other news, C-A-T-S! CATS! CATS! CATS! Show me why I believe we can hang with Florida next week!

Omg, I cannot believe how hard Stanford worked to not score points, I don't know how usc was so lucky, but I'm ecstatic. Even better than winning is the lack of injuries. I expected we'd lose half a dozen players this game.

Now we just have to avoid the classic let down look ahead sandwich next week.

Seriously Stanford seven trips to red zone and you only scored twice, thank you so much for that. Still shaking my head in disbelief.

Archived