College Football: Offseason coaching drama and crootin'

MisterOJ

Some ACC teams to schedule non-conference games with... other ACC teams.

What the what?!!? :shocked:

Well, okay. Guess that works for ya.

That's... bizarre? So it won't count towards the league record I guess? Whatever, but it just seems weird. I can't read the article right now (firewall), but it's less weird if they're playing someone non-con that is not on their league schedule that season (i.e.... UNC plays Duke in a year they don't play in the league schedule).

That's... bizarre? So it won't count towards the league record I guess? Whatever, but it just seems weird. I can't read the article right now (firewall), but it's less weird if they're playing someone non-con that is not on their league schedule that season (i.e.... UNC plays Duke in a year they don't play in the league schedule).

On Monday, the ACC announced it would remain at an eight-game conference schedule. Beginning in 2017, league teams also will be required to play at least one nonconference opponent from a power five league.

After much discussion, the ACC decided the status quo was best and voted to remain at eight league games, Andrea Adelson writes.

Because of the eight-game league schedule, non-primary crossover rivals in the Atlantic and Coastal divisions may wind up playing each other only once in an 11-year span. This prompted discussion at the spring meetings about scheduling fellow ACC teams as nonconference opponents in future seasons. Some possible future ACC "nonconference" games could pit Miami against Syracuse, Duke against NC State, and Clemson against Virginia.

"Everything's on the table," Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross said.

"I think all the coaches felt like playing each other more, [that] if there was a model for that, we'd be open to it," NC State coach Dave Doeren said. "They are going to allow us to use that plus-one game in the conference as a nonconference game, so that will be interesting to see where it goes. When we don't have to play Notre Dame, playing Duke or Virginia or somebody from the Coastal that we don't play will be a discussion we want to have."

NC State and Duke are located about 35 miles apart. They played annually from 1924 to 2003 but have met only three times since the ACC expanded in 2004. The Wolfpack and Blue Devils are scheduled to play only once (in 2020) in the next 11 years.

So yeah, that's what it is. Still a bit bizarre to me.

So yeah, that's what it is. Still a bit bizarre to me.

It's not that odd if that's how they're doing it (at least to me). If UTenn were not on UK's conference schedule, I'd like it if they still scheduled them for a non-con game... because it would seem even weirder to not play them annually (and I'm a glutton for punishment).

• 1 month later...

With the start of college football only 2 months away I came across this article about West Virginia's troubled history in the world of conference affiliations. Pretty good read:

http://www.wvusports.com/blogs.cfm?blog=footballBlog&story=25902

Yeah somewhat following them over the years due to proximity, they're in a tricky location conference-relations wise. Morgantown might as well be in Pennsylvania (don't ever say that in those parts, and no offense to WVU fans), so to me they were always suited as a BG10 (or whatever it's called now) member, but I don't believe the rest of the world sees it that way. The Big 12 always seemed like an odd fit as well... but they're one of those schools like Louisville that is sort of on the outskirts and never solidly ingrained towards one conference or another. I felt like they fit well in the Big East during those days, but that got smashed with the Catholic defection and the latest realignments.

Yeah somewhat following them over the years due to proximity, they're in a tricky location conference-relations wise. Morgantown might as well be in Pennsylvania (don't ever say that in those parts, and no offense to WVU fans), so to me they were always suited as a BG10 (or whatever it's called now) member, but I don't believe the rest of the world sees it that way. The Big 12 always seemed like an odd fit as well... but they're one of those schools like Louisville that is sort of on the outskirts and never solidly ingrained towards one conference or another. I felt like they fit well in the Big East during those days, but that got smashed with the Catholic defection and the latest realignments.

Yea, I lived there for a little while. About 70 of that 76 miles to Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania.

Dorial Green Beckham enrolling at OU.

Not sure how I feel about that.

Man, I'm just not sure about college football anymore. I mean my mind logically processes that there's no remaining ties between the football teams and the schools they represent, and I understand it's big business these days and coaches need to win every year or they're out of a job and players really only care about moving onto the NFL, etc, but for fucks sake it gets harder and harder every year to not get jaded by it all.

Edited to add - I really wish these big time football schools would break away from the NCAA, and form their own "league". Then I wish some day in the future the schools would remove their affiliations from these teams and begin offering scholarships only to people who want to play for the school. It will be the wildly less-talented to be sure, and I'll continue to watch this non-NCAA football league and appreciate it for the quality and as a kind of minor league for the NFL, but then I can reserve my passion for my school's team.

There have been a ton of unlikable assholes trotted onto the Swamp over the past several years, including one up on murder charges currently. Go School!

ugh.

Man, I'm just not sure about college football anymore. I mean my mind logically processes that there's no remaining ties between the football teams and the schools they represent, and I understand it's big business these days and coaches need to win every year or they're out of a job and players really only care about moving onto the NFL, etc, but for fucks sake it gets harder and harder every year to not get jaded by it all.

Edited to add - I really wish these big time football schools would break away from the NCAA, and form their own "league". Then I wish some day in the future the schools would remove their affiliations from these teams and begin offering scholarships only to people who want to play for the school. It will be the wildly less-talented to be sure, and I'll continue to watch this non-NCAA football league and appreciate it for the quality and as a kind of minor league for the NFL, but then I can reserve my passion for my school's team.

There have been a ton of unlikable assholes trotted onto the Swamp over the past several years, including one up on murder charges currently. Go School!

ugh.

Division IV is coming. It may be a while yet, but there's no way the NCAA is going to just sit back and watch them all walk.

I don't know if I've seen this exact scenario, but here is what I think they should do:

Athletes recruited to play football at a school have 4 years of eligibility, just like now. They get a scholarship, free housing, health insurance, and a reasonable stipend during their years of eligibility, say the equivalent of an entry-level job (and there should be an agreed 'salary cap' here and an investigative body to keep things as egalitarian as possible). They are entitled to additional compensation for any uses of their likeness. Playing football at a major university would effectively become a job.

The 'scholarship' is free housing and free tuition and fees from the institution where they choose to play - redeemable at any point in their lives. Meaning, the academic portion does not have to be completed, or even worked towards, while they are playing or at all.

I think most athletes would choose to take at least some classes during their playing days, but they may also choose to concentrate on only football. So then guys who decide not to go pro, or aren't good enough, can play for four years without distraction and then go on and get their bachelor's degree at no charge after they have used up their playing time. I think it would be a good system that keeps the bond between the school and the football program while fairly compensating athletes in what could fairly be viewed as a 'development' league for the NFL.

It would effectively put an end to the student-athlete, but keep the ties with the school by still providing a free education as part of the college level football experience. And really half the classes these guys take are a joke anyway. If you're a guy who is good enough to make the roster but not good enough for the NFL you might end up majoring in some bullshit major because of the demands of football/ That same kid might have majored in engineering if he did not have the distraction of sports. So by allowing them to put that aspect on hold, I think you might actually see more positive educational benefits for the athletes.

And for the record I do not like that college football will probably lose its amateur status and I've complained about it in these threads before. But I think that is the way it is trending. Just like legal weed, I think its only a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived