College Football: Offseason coaching drama and crootin'

MisterOJ

Charlie Strong is on a mission to clean up Texas football.

All fine and good as long as he wins, but that fanbase does not look too kindly upon "losing with character."

I personally am willing to give Charlie Strong a bit of slack while he tries to turn around the team. It had been left in really bad shape.

I think Strong will do a good job. I hope West Virginia beats Texas in Austin again this year. Partly because I will be at that game and partly because I think once Strong gets everything to his liking in there it might be a while before WVU beats Texas again.

I upgraded my cable package yesterday in anticipation of the upcoming football season. The forces of evil have truly infiltrated my life as I will now get both the SEC network and the Longhorn network. (All I actually wanted to begin with was ESPN and FOX, but when I decided to get the package with HBO those two came along)

I upgraded my cable package yesterday in anticipation of the upcoming football season. The forces of evil have truly infiltrated my life as I will now get both the SEC network and the Longhorn network. (All I actually wanted to begin with was ESPN and FOX, but when I decided to get the package with HBO those two came along)

Aren't you an official Longhorn now? (Just thought that I would rub that in a bit... Does it sting? )

Aren't you an official Longhorn now? (Just thought that I would rub that in a bit... Does it sting? )

Haha, that I am. To be honest I have accepted the possibility of adopting the Longhorns as my secondary team. Might as well since I'll be able to go to a lot of their games and will obviously be exposed to a lot of UT media on TV and radio here locally. But WVU is always going to be #1. It'd be a whole lot easier for me if WVU and Texas weren't in the same conference.

But I haven't come anywhere close to developing the deep hatred toward any Big 12 team that I have for the likes of Pitt and VT. Though it didn't take me too long to start hating Louisville when they entered the Big East so maybe its only a matter of time. But I don't think UT will end up being the team that I hate.

Right now the closest would be Baylor because I want revenge for the savage beating they gave us last year. WVU was so bad last year though that I have an extensive revenge list that includes Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas, OU, Kansas State, Iowa State, Kansas, and Maryland. Hopefully my revenge list is a lot shorter this time next year...

Haha, that I am. To be honest I have accepted the possibility of adopting the Longhorns as my secondary team. Might as well since I'll be able to go to a lot of their games and will obviously be exposed to a lot of UT media on TV and radio here locally. But WVU is always going to be #1. It'd be a whole lot easier for me if WVU and Texas weren't in the same conference.

But I haven't come anywhere close to developing the deep hatred toward any Big 12 team that I have for the likes of Pitt and VT. Though it didn't take me too long to start hating Louisville when they entered the Big East so maybe its only a matter of time. But I don't think UT will end up being the team that I hate.

Right now the closest would be Baylor because I want revenge for the savage beating they gave us last year. WVU was so bad last year though that I have an extensive revenge list that includes Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas, OU, Kansas State, Iowa State, Kansas, and Maryland. Hopefully my revenge list is a lot shorter this time next year...

Louisville fans make it easy to hate them with their L for loser hand sign, chin strap beards, and ghetto tattoos.

Tim Tebow interviewing a woman's softball player... That's right, brand it with the SEC and I will watch anything!

Oh man, I was watching at the same time. I thought yesterday the channel must be a success when I'm watching live look-ins at women's collegiate soccer and Tim Tebow interviewing random people.

Oh man, I was watching at the same time. I thought yesterday the channel must be a success when I'm watching live look-ins at women's collegiate soccer and Tim Tebow interviewing random people.

This morning they were playing a replay of the Georgia/Bama SEC title game from two years ago...

But the real pull is Big Blue Bahamas tour continues with the Dominican National team at 1 today! I think its likely the first actual live sporting event that the network is broadcasting.

Tim Tebow interviewing a woman's softball player... That's right, brand it with the SEC and I will watch anything!

The SEC Network is going to be great for showing actual games (live and older games), but if yesterday is any indicator their studio shows are going to be hot garbage. Which I don't think is really any great surprise since it's basically the b-list talent who can't get roles on actual ESPN studio shows (shows which are already unwatchable on their own), or just first-time on-air talent plucked from various SEC teams. But can't wait for all the game footage we'll get.

As for the season itself, cautiously optimistic for the Gators this year. Last year was such a mess that I think any signs of life will be a great improvement (not to mention not losing 11 starters to injury this year -- that would help). The players seem genuinely excited about the offense, and for the first time in Muschamp's tenure it appears we're going to trot an offense out there whose primary goal is going to be 'score points' as opposed to 'don't fuck this up for our defense'. So I'm looking forward to that. And defense should be loaded (again assuming we can avoid the injury fiasco of last year). I expect Dante Fowler to live in the backfield and Vernon Hargreaves to emerge as one of the better DBs we've ever had, which is saying something since we churn out great defensive backs.

Schedule is an absolute nightmare though, so even if we play much better than we did last year it's possible there'd only be an improvement of 3 or 4 wins. I'm thinking we can get to 9 wins though, but even 8 would be fine with me. I just really, really, really hope one of those wins is against Georgia this year. I got accustomed to beating those awful assholes every year for the last couple decades, this has been a rough 3 year stretch.

Go Gators!

This morning they were playing a replay of the Georgia/Bama SEC title game from two years ago...

But the real pull is Big Blue Bahamas tour continues with the Dominican National team at 1 today! I think its likely the first actual live sporting event that the network is broadcasting.

Bama football, check. UK basketball, check. You can't say the network doesn't know its core audience. :P

Right now is the first chance I've had to sit down and watch...it appears they are in the midst of 4 straight hours of Finebaum. Hooray? :leaving:

Welcome to the borderlands---at least---of Longhorn Nation. Please enjoy your stay :)

I'm excited to watch Derrick Henry, assuming Saban is smart enough to give him the bulk of the carries.

I don't see Henry getting the majority of the snaps, especially early in the season. They've always been a two RB team under Saban. Coffee/Ingram in '08, Ingram/Richardson in '09 & '10, Richardson/Lacy in '11, Lacy/Yeldon in '12, and Yeldon/Drake last year. JMO, but it'll be Yeldon/Henry this year, with carries leveling out closer to even between them, similar to how they split Lacy and Yeldon's touches in '12.

I've actually been watching the SEC network too, now that I have it. I watched both the Alabama / Texas and the Florida / Oklahoma MNC games the other day. I chalk it up mostly to being so goddamn ready for college football to start I can hardly stand it.

Speaking of which - I don't think we did one last year but for a while there we had a board college football pick 'em going for several years in a row. If 5 - 10 people show interest for this year I'll set it up.

Archived