NFL 2013 (Divisional Round) or defending Peyton's Place

Howdyphillip

Moving arms and heads have been called for false starts before. I have seen it happen. Hence my original question.

THis can be offsides, even if the lineman only lifts his head or something like that. They call that a lot. However, its been called less and less as encroachment has been expanded (ie: an offensive player can move if he has been induced by a defensive player). The actual definition of a false start is:

"It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start."

There is an additional section for interior linemen: "It is a False Start if an interior lineman … takes or simulates a three-point stance, and then changes his position or moves the hand that is on the ground."

I can't say that I saw anything like that during the Broncos game (I was too blinded by the natural glean of perfection given by his LOrd and Savior, Peyton Manning) I will say there was one play where it looked like MANNING did an exaggerated move to make it seem like the play had started and that drew a D-lineman into the zone and they called the D-lineman. Other than that I think the Chargers D is just drying to get that extra step. Its not helping- they are nowhere near Manning.

Never rule laser face out.

Oh yeah - a center isn't allowed to head bob as it's considered an action similar to a snap. Anyone else is though.

And hector, you did see that they needed overtime and a bad call to beat the second stringers of the chiefs, right? They're not that amazing of a team.

Archived