GRRM is a slow writer?

winters-coming

It's good that some authors take time to get it right. It just sucks sitting around waiting for him to get it right!

He took nearly 6 years to write A Dance with Dragons and I wouldn't exactly say "he got it right". The book just stops in has no ending. Just because a writer takes a long time to write a book doesn't mean the book will be good. I love the first 3 books of the series and even feel A Feat for Crows gets better on rereads, but A Dance with Dragons is just a book of setting up events and delivering on nothing. The Battle of Winterfell looks cool, "sorry guys you'll have to wait 5 years for my next book", Cercie's trial seems awesome, "sorry guys you'll have to wait for my next book", the battle in the east is cool, "sorry guys"..................I think you get my point.

I wouldn't be complaining about any of this mind you if it didn't take GRRM half a decade to get a book out, lol

As I said in another thread, I definitely think he cares about ASOIAF I just don't think he's that interested in telling it anymore :lol:

I think enjoying life is more important to him at this point, and in some way I think he views the GOT show as an out. Just my impression of things.

People just complain too much, it's better for GRRM to take his time and do it right, than rush projects

And 5 years really isn't that long, I waited 12 years for starcraft 2 and didn't cry about it

/end thread.

Half his problem is he is trying to do too much. He is working on a bunch of little side projects and doing others things. This is his right but his legacy is ASOIAF. Frankly I think it would be a disaster if the TV show finished before the book, Who knows how it will influence him.

It seems to me that he isn't that interested in writing about ASOIAF. His didn't lay down a blueprint. This series started as 1 book then a trilogy and we all know what it's turned into. He still has to close the Meerenese knot and figure out what to do without a 5 year gap. It's kind of like debugging software at this point. It's probably just not fun for him as much as it was which is why he spends so much time doing other things.

I really think he needs to get to it though and just focus on the series especially since I doubt he can finish in two books. We may be looking at the end of series being released a few years after the TV show ends.

Half his problem is he is trying to do too much. He is working on a bunch of little side projects and doing others things. This is his right but his legacy is ASOIAF. Frankly I think it would be a disaster if the TV show finished before the book, Who knows how it will influence him.

It seems to me that he isn't that interested in writing about ASOIAF. His didn't lay down a blueprint. This series started as 1 book then a trilogy and we all know what it's turned into. He still has to close the Meerenese knot and figure out what to do without a 5 year gap. It's kind of like debugging software at this point. It's probably just not fun for him as much as it was which is why he spends so much time doing other things.

I really think he needs to get to it though and just focus on the series especially since I doubt he can finish in two books. We may be looking at the end of series being released a few years after the TV show ends.

I think you're right. He seemed to be having a lot more fun with the series back in the 90's and early 2000's.

shame he wasn't able to get that time skip down, it was clearly something you can tell he wanted to do

I'm not a mod apologist, but I think the only real rule is be polite! Speculation about GRRM's health/mortality is offensive to him and rude in general. That's the reason that most of these threads get locked, I think.

Perhaps, but then why was the post that was completely on topic, with no reference to grrm at all, but happened to be posted by the same poster, deleted as well?

Also, the posts in question weren't discussing his mortality, rather they were pointing out the rather lame note saying that such posts were not appreciated and would be deleted - it was a question of censorship and an honest question, that if it was the policy to delete posts that the powers that be didn't like, or were in some way not in line with their own thinking (regardless of content), then perhaps that particular rule should be posted somewhere, preferably when one enters the forums...

I really have no problem dealing with people that can't handle opposing opinions or who exercise their powers of deleting or censoring posts, as long as they are up front about it. It seems only fair, wouldn't you say, to tell people before hand that the only opinions that matter are yours and yours alone?

Perhaps, but then why was the post that was completely on topic, with no reference to grrm at all, but happened to be posted by the same poster, deleted as well?

Also, the posts in question weren't discussing his mortality, rather they were pointing out the rather lame note saying that such posts were not appreciated and would be deleted - it was a question of censorship and an honest question, that if it was the policy to delete posts that the powers that be didn't like, or were in some way not in line with their own thinking (regardless of content), then perhaps that particular rule should be posted somewhere, preferably when one enters the forums...

I really have no problem dealing with people that can't handle opposing opinions or who exercise their powers of deleting or censoring posts, as long as they are up front about it. It seems only fair, wouldn't you say, to tell people before hand that the only opinions that matter are yours and yours alone?

Well, the forum rules are posted here. The bit about GRRM is there (9), as is not discussing mod actions in public (12). So it seems like they are being pretty up-front about it to me. I definitely agree with the GRRM rule since it is a matter of simple civility.

I kind of agree with your sentiment that mod actions could use a little discussion, but those are the rules we agree to when we participate in these forums. Seems like a good deal to me, all things considered.

Tolkien basically invented a genre.

Its the difference between going to the store, buying a box of raspberry jello then making some jello shots vs. raising a cow, slaughtering it, grinding the bones for gelatin, growing some grain, making some moonshine, harvesting some wild raspberries, then waiting for winter so you can chill the jello.

Having the foundations laid with all the dragons and other hominid species and magic and swords etc. makes things way easier.

Granted there had always been fairy tales with dragons and elves and such, but nothing approaching a novel.

I have to admit that after reading all 5 books twice, I was feeling impatient because I wanted to know what was happening with Jon Snow.

But, after allowing some time to pass I realized that if the amount of time that GRRM takes to complete a book produces a great book, then who am I to break up his flow.

GRRM produces great books because he is doing it at his own pace, Not at ours.

If you break up that rhythm, more than likely we'll get watered down content in his books.

If it takes him another 10 years to finish the final two books, then GRRM, take your time.

I'd rather read great books and feel satisfied with some closure to it, than rather read books that are pure garbage and not any attention to detail was applied to them.

To GRRM, "You take as long as you need to. You have my Permission."

I understand that a lot of people are frustrated by the wait between books in the ASOIAF series, but is see a lot of people on here bashing GRRM for being slow, and in the press you see GRRM saying he is under a lot of pressure to finish the next books because not only the TV series is hot of his tail, but that a lot of fans of the books are getting inpatient as well. Personally I feel a bit sorry for him.

If you look at the body of work GRRM has completed over the last 17 years, he has been a prolific writer (in terms of guality and copy). If you consider Tolkien was writing stories about Middle-earth for over 60 years, but only managed to publish 2 books, I think it puts it into perspective a bit...

Started the Dark tower series by Stephen King when I was about 11-12 yrs old and did not get to finish it till I was in my mid 30's So waiting on G.R.R Martin seems normal to me..

GRRM has admitted to being a slow writer. He also says he doesn't work exclusively on the main novels and works on other projects. We all would love the next book(s) sooner rather than later. I don't feel guilty wishing he would write faster. I just choose not to complain too much about it. It's just how it goes.

See, the problem is, we aren't comparing GRRM to other authors, we're comparing GRRM to GRRM himself. It took him 2.5 years to write ACOK and 1.5 year for ASOS; and then five years for AFFC, almost six for ADWD, so I expect at least seven for TWOW (I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will). It's not that he's consistently slow writer. It's that once upon a time, he could write a great book in less than three years, and recently does not.

And that's just the truth, unfortunately. As time has passed, George has seemed less and less interested (or inspired) to complete ASOIAF. The ASOIAF books in the 1990s were completed very quickly. Later volumes took years and years to complete. George stated that he was inspired to write ASOIAF after reading Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn". But Williams hasn't written anything "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn"-related since 1998, when "The Burning Man" was published.

I think we need to get Tad Williams to write more "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" books to inspire George once more!

Mod note:

The board style guide details this forum's guidelines for discussing GRRM and for disputing the moderators' decisions. On numerous occasions in the past, threads on GRRM's writing and professional life have devolved into negative speculation on his health and posts devoted to insulting him; when this happens, the thread is locked and deleted. If that restriction bothers you, I suggest that you focus your posts on other topics. Thank you.

Archived