Stills from Season 4

Westeros

Just look at Cersei. Did she ever wear anything else but that red dress in season 2 and 3? It was so drab and heavy looking. Something lighter and more vibrant really would have been nice.

well that was kind of the point.

Cersei was retreating behind formal clothing designed to show rank.Note how her clothes mimic the style of her son , (the King and source of her power)

while Margery was wearing lighter youthful even playful clothes. As well as being clothes that highlighted her 'assets'. The contrasting styles also play out in the court as the female courtiers try to wear clothes that mimic one or other of the two Queens.

Yeah, the blue is getting a bit repetitive. She wore it like every time in season 3 except 3x7 where she wore that white gown, which was nice. And I can just imagine how sexy she would look wearing black and red :drool:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/dfb0721584f3ca3426c86c53173157c1/tumblr_n08cg99IAF1qcehj4o1_500.png

Its definitely what i want to see on her. :D

I agree with you about Daario. He does not have the soul of Daario.

Good point, too, move on from Dany's blue period. She has a new dress here:

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Meet_the_New_Production_Designer

They seem to like muted palettes. Muted everything.

Black and red would be nice.

Yees!I like the new dress,and i want to see more and more new clothes on Daenerys.

Well, appart from the Lannisters, no one seems to use their family colors, not even on formal ocasion. I was dissapointed when the Greyjoys don't wear black and gold, and since we're on that topic, please someone give the Boltons some pink cloaks

Agreed.It seems that only Lannisters have their true colours on outfits.

while Margery was wearing lighter youthful even playful clothes. As well as being clothes that highlighted her 'assets'.

The bodices have no shape, just flatten and smash. Just a dart or some shaping and there would be a lot more of Margaery's assets to appreciate.

I am too freaking fussed that Stannis, Robb and Balon had no crowns.

Yes, I was so fussed that Robb died and never wear his crown, not only because the book description is really cool, but also because now we won't have Lady Stoneheart "claiming" Robb's crown, which it was a powerful image in my mind.

Stannis crown is also cool, it really fit his personality, plain and simple but yet, there's something captivating about it, and what about Dany, they LOVE Dany, why is she not wearing a three-headed dragon crown?

Also I always had a hard time trying to picture what the Drifwood Crown actually look like, I was hoping the show may give us some rendition of it, but whatever :dunno:

ETA

OMG, i'm not a Dany fan, but THAT looks like a true Targaryen Queen :drool:

well that was kind of the point.

Cersei was retreating behind formal clothing designed to show rank.Note how her clothes mimic the style of her son , (the King and source of her power)

while Margery was wearing lighter youthful even playful clothes. As well as being clothes that highlighted her 'assets'. The contrasting styles also play out in the court as the female courtiers try to wear clothes that mimic one or other of the two Queens.

Pretty much this (and Michele Clapton has said as much). Everyone complains about Margaery wearing several versions of the same dress (blue/green colour scheme with gold or brown accents, tight bodice with cap sleeves, flowy or gauzy skirt), but I think it's a deliberate and very clever choice.

Having easily distinguishable "Margaery-style" dresses (tight, low-cut bodice with cap sleeves over flowy skirt) and "Cersei-style" dresses (kimono-style, draping sleeves, metallic belts) with their own distinct, easily recognizable silhouettes actually serves as a neat visual shorthand for Cersei's influence and Margaery's growing influence. Ditto for the "Cersei" court hairstyle (banana roll updo with two braids or plaits) and the "Margaery" hairstyle (that half-up, half-down style). In early seasons, all the female courtiers we saw dressed like Cersei: kimono-style dresses, metallic belts, that ugly-ass updo, etc. etc. However, in Season 3 more and more female extras--and not just those clearly in the Tyrell camp--started to wear their hair in a half-up, half-down Margaery-type updo and to dress in the "Margaery" style: tight bodice, cap sleeves, gauzy skirt, etc. etc.

If you look at the wedding guests in 3x08, you can see very clearly several "Margaery"-styled and "Cersei"-styled extras, whereas before there were only "Cersei"-styled female extras. In the scene of Cersei and Margaery at the wedding, a "Cersei"-styled extra (wine-coloured kimono-style dress, banana roll with two plaits) is in the background speaking with a "Margaery"-styled extra (mint dress with cap sleeves and flowy skirt). In the same scene, there are a few other female extras styled like Margaery but not wearing Tyrell colours. It's a visual reminder that the personal clash between Cersei and Margaery is playing itself out in a broader way amongst the various factions at court, without being obnoxious about it.

It's a subtle, interesting way of showing the Tyrells' growing influence, and it wouldn't be possible without Margaery wearing her trademark dress style and her trademark hairdo. We wouldn't know that the female courtiers are imitating Margaery with their hair and dress unless Margaery wore a distinctive type of dress and wore her hair a certain way.

Well, appart from the Lannisters, no one seems to use their family colors, not even on formal ocasion.

I think there's a certain amount of "colour-coding" in King's Landing, since there are so many major characters bunched together. The characters in KL each dress in one or two colours, likely as a way of helping viewers tell the various factions apart. As the other major characters are largely scattered and aren't as concentrated anywhere else, that sort of "colour-coding" isn't required for the other plots. In KL, it seems that the characters are "assigned" one or two colours and pretty much stuck with them:

Margaery: light green/blue with green/gold/brown accents

Loras: dark blue/green, light blue/green, with gold accents

Olenna: blue with gold accents

Tywin: black with gold/red accents or accessories

Tyrion: black with red accents (used to be red with black accents)

Cersei: had a bit more variety in Season 1, colour-wise (orange, light purple), but now wears various shades of red or burgundy, sometimes with gold accents

Joffrey: red and gold

Sansa: interestingly had two recognizable dresses (blue dress, pink dress) that were ruined in 2x04 and 2x06, now is stuck with dark grey/purple colours (and some truly ugly dresses)

Varys: yellow or olive green

Littlefinger: dark brown or dark olive green (I guess "olive green" signals a manipulative bastard, LOL)

Bronn: black

Shae: pink

It looks like the incoming Martells are going to be colour-coded orange and yellow.

I was dissapointed when the Greyjoys don't wear black and gold, and since we're on that topic, please someone give the Boltons some pink cloaks

Nope. Like, Book Daario's three-pronged blue beard-levels of "Nope." Much like said beard, the pink cloaks would look ridiculous on screen.

Nope. Like, Book Daario's three-pronged blue beard-levels of "Nope." Much like said beard, the pink cloaks would look ridiculous on screen.

I strongly disagree, a pink cloak will look Baddass, yes with capital letters, and the two D's are for a double-dose of badassery :cool4: :lmao:

Ok, I'm really sorry about that, I just had to say it :leaving: :blushing:

Yeah, the blue is getting a bit repetitive. She wore it like every time in season 3 except 3x7 where she wore that white gown, which was nice. And I can just imagine how sexy she would look wearing black and red :drool:

Dany's been wearing House Arryn colours (blue and cream) for some reason and it looks like from the promo materials that she'll continue doing so in Season 4. I'm not sure what the objection is to having Dany wear Targaryen colours.

Exactly. Even overlooking the fact that Richard Armitage's far too good-looking to play the Hound--since, to be fair, the show has cast actors far more attractive than their characters in several major roles (Iain Glen as Jorah, Iwan Rheon as Ramsay, etc. etc.)--his height and build are all wrong. As with Brienne, the Hound's height and build are very important to his presence and character; it's not like he's a non-warrior character who just happens to be described as cartoonishly tall and very muscular. Say what you will about Rory McCann, but he definitely brings the imposing physical presence required (and given how tall Sophie Turner has turned out to be, the Hound's actor needed to be very tall to convey the proper impression in their scenes). Richard Armitage's more of the classic leading man type, anyway; I would have liked him for Ned, actually. (Armitage also does a mean Northern accent, which the show has sort of decided should be the Westeros Northern accent, although the Northerners' accents are a bit all over the map.)

I keep hoping Armitage will somehow show up in GOT, but I'm running short on ideas as to where they could fit him in. I do see the occasional post fancasting him as Euron, which...could work, I guess.

Seriously. Mero was smoking (yum); I think that actor would have made a fine Daario, now that I think about it. (It's a funny point about Mero's lady friend; in the "most beautiful female character" thread, some have remarked that even though the camera doesn't exactly linger on her face during that scene, Mero's lady friend is one of the most beautiful women who has appeared in the show.)

Aw, I love McCann too--you're right about his physical presence. Love the raspy voice too, though I imagined him as sharper-cut features-wise. Armitage as Euron...PLEASE!! Euron is described as hot even by people who despise him, so in my mind he's got "cruel beauty" down to an artform. It's a change from the books but I wouldn't mind Victarion being ruggedly easy on the eyes either. Hehe, would contribute to my non-serious pet theory Dany's going to get a look at her seafaring marauder and be "Drogo 2.0!??!"

Oh, I see your objection. She was enjoying the D...aario a bit much. I think that was part of it, though. Riding is used for both sexual and dragon symbolism.

Agreed, that should be really good. I think the still of them both is the same place there was that shot of her warging (well, I think that's what she must be doing).

Enjoying the D is all well and good, but even Catherine the Great didn't let her truckload of boytoys get too saucy when she was on the job. If Daario stays with Dany and she's still ruling, I'd be psyched if she reminded him just who's the queen and who's the Grigory Orlov.

Buahaha, I love how it looks like the Hound's leaning over Arya and being "WTF?! Does your derangement ever end?"

I strongly disagree, a pink cloak will look Baddass, yes with capital letters, and the two D's are for a double-dose of badassery :cool4: :lmao:

Ok, I'm really sorry about that, I just had to say it :leaving: :blushing:

As much as I smile at the Bolton-directed "real men wear pink" comments...yeaaah, not faulting the color change. Plus, Roose had that smexy fur cape and it didn't make him seem like a closet brony.

Dany's wardrobe changes with her roles. She was a gentle purpley ingenue, then a khaleesi (her khaleesi clothes became increasingly well-fitted, like she was growing into her role). Now she's a young leader, exploring her power but from the perspective of a high-minded liberator. Hence the blues and whites. Not soft, especially her last S3 dress, but not harsh. Black and red is a fierce, dark combo (think Tywin, or Cruella DeVille). So, maybe in later seasons. Right now it would seem like jumping the gun. Plus, it's Tywin's style at the moment, and he's on his way out. The show could give the individual actors more outfits, but that becomes a budget issue. Extra sharp dragons vs. new but similar duds.

In my opinion, the best dressed in Westeros are Tywin and Joffrey. Damn, Tywin's leather coat :drool: .

Oh, can't wait for this scene in S4.

Aw, I love McCann too--you're right about his physical presence. Love the raspy voice too, though I imagined him as sharper-cut features-wise.

Face-wise McCann's not what I imagined, but my notion of Book Hound's face was always kind of vague, anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I love his voice and think it's perfect for the Hound.

It's a change from the books but I wouldn't mind Victarion being ruggedly easy on the eyes either.

Well, the show has "cast up" in terms of looks before (Jorah, Ramsay, etc.), so you might get your wish.

Dany's wardrobe changes with her roles. She was a gentle purpley ingenue, then a khaleesi (her khaleesi clothes became increasingly well-fitted, like she was growing into her role). Now she's a young leader, exploring her power but from the perspective of a high-minded liberator. Hence the blues and whites. Not soft, especially her last S3 dress, but not harsh. Black and red is a fierce, dark combo (think Tywin, or Cruella DeVille). So, maybe in later seasons. Right now it would seem like jumping the gun. Plus, it's Tywin's style at the moment, and he's on his way out. The show could give the individual actors more outfits, but that becomes a budget issue. Extra sharp dragons vs. new but similar duds.

Very good points; Dany is still playing nice (in her mind, at least) so her conciliatory (in her mind) blue/white colours reflect that: queenly, but not overtly aggressive. I also thought of the potential Tywin/Tyrion colour similarity (Tyrion also wears black with red accents).

While we're talking about costumes and their implications, I think it's interesting that from the images that have been released, Tywin will be wearing more colours this season than he has in the past (red at the Wedding, gold when he gives Jaime Oathkeeper) and Tyrion will be wearing more black. Are they suggesting/trying to suggest via costume that Tyrion is/is becoming Tywin writ small? At the very least they're linking the two visually.

Also Jaime's haircut makes him look more like Tywin as well as more like his dear son Joff.

I guess they think it suits her best. Maybe she'll dramatically switch to Targ colours after realizing that dragons don't plant trees.

She's been burning people alive with dragons since season 2, might be a nice time to switch.

Buahaha, I love how it looks like the Hound's leaning over Arya and being "WTF?! Does your derangement ever end?"

Exactly, I hope they play it that way, there was definitely an element of humor to their interactions in the books. I missed this line:

"Didn't you ever have a brother you wanted to kill?" He laughed again. "Or maybe a sister?" He must have seen something in her face then, for he leaned closer. "Sansa. That's it, isn't it? The wolf bitch wants to kill the pretty bird."

Also Jaime's haircut makes him look more like Tywin as well as more like his dear son Joff.

Jaime's haircut is a sore spot. Why, why, why. And his beard. Clean him up a little, but don't wipe away the hotness with one fell swoop.

Dany's been wearing House Arryn colours (blue and cream) for some reason and it looks like from the promo materials that she'll continue doing so in Season 4. I'm not sure what the objection is to having Dany wear Targaryen colours.

Tho Lysa Arryn didn't wear blue all the time in the first season.

I am not sure what the decision was on Dany , to to my eyes she looks great in blue...

I have noticed with only a couple of exceptions she has worn costumes that have a , how to put it?, sort of Dothraki cut them ... (I exclude her Dothraki leather, one wonders if she still keeps it packed away?).

It is especially true when she in out 'outside' outfits, she is always in boots (tho seems she only has the Dothraki ones and more fancy ones she wears these days).

As someone mentioned above I am still looking for the three dragon crown too.

Did not mind she was not given one in Qarth as in the books.

Keep hoping her mother's crown , that Viserys sold, will turn up to be presented to her as a gift , since we don't know what it looked like something elegant and feminine with three dragons would great.

Archived