Stills from Season 4

Westeros

This is so funny, Brienne, Stannis, Bran, Hodor and Theon all protest to being excluded from HBO’s latest Game of Thrones Season Four Promo Images:

http://briennemaidoftarth.tumblr.com/post/75251375993/brienne-stannis-bran-hodor-and-theon-all

Saw this on Tumblr, everything she (briennemaidoftarth) does is excellent.

"Does Oberyn's necklace have flowers on it? Hmmmm..."

The quote function no longer works for me, which is why I had type out the comment I wanted to respond to. Yes, there are indeed flowers on the pendant of his necklace! That is so strange (and even shocking) for anyone who has read ASoIaF, as you would think the Red Viper would NEVER be caught dead wearing any symbol associated with House Tyrell. The design is even reminiscent of the enameled flowers on Loras' armour. Unless the costume department has made a big slip-up (which is highly doubtful, as the GoT designer seems to be very careful about these things), I can only guess that the Tyrell-Martell rivalry has been toned down on the show. Or perhaps I'm just reading too much into this.

"So long as they're not roses then it's not a slip-up or a change of the family rivalry."

Technically the Tyrell sigil is a rose, but on the show, the family basically owns the flower motif. Loras is known as the Knight of Flowers, not the Knight of Roses, and the enameled flowers on his armour aren't roses. The floral patterns on the Tyrells' clothing also aren't roses (even though the belts and brooches feature their sigil).

You may be right that Oberyn's pendant doesn't really mean anything, but if I were the costume designer, the VERY last two symbols I would ever consider putting on the Red Viper would be 1) a lion, and 2) anything floral-related, roses or otherwise. You have to admit that the flower pendant is still a bizarre choice, even if it has nothing to do with his attitude towards the Tyrells. I think it would make much more sense for his necklace to have a spear, a blazing sun, a viper, or just about anything else, really. I can't help but wonder, "Why the heck did the designer choose a flower pendant for Oberyn, and why did the producers green-light this?"

Well, the dynamic will be somewhat changed. Finn Jones (Loras) said in an interview that he has no gay sex this season but does have "a flirtation" with a new character, presumably Oberyn. I don't know quite what "a flirtation" would entail but I'm sure Oberyn would only do that to piss off Mace, which would be a pretty in-character motive. Maybe this involves him taking a pendant from Loras and then wearing his stolen prize in the scene in the new stills. That could be one way around it.

I doubt they would scrap the rivalry itself, it makes for interesting dynamic between Tyrion's three judges. Maybe they'll make it more of a personal animosity between Oberyn and Mace.

This is all conjecture on my part of course. Come the dawn we shall see.

In the books I think she is the most overrated character. Gets so much praise because she helped poisoning Joffrey but that's it. That's everything she did.

That's quite an underestimation, she was the one behind much of the political moves securing the Tyrell power base. She continued to play a role in the next book, as well. She'll be around on the show for a while to come.

That's quite an underestimation, she was the one behind much of the political moves securing the Tyrell power base. She continued to play a role in the next book, as well. She'll be around on the show for a while to come.

On the topic of Olenna, do you think she'll leave to go back to Highgarden after Tommen and Marg's wedding and fade into obscurity like in the book, or do you think she'll hang around King's Landing some more, seeing as how most people like her?

I wouldn't mind her sticking around, those are the kind of changes I like. But we don't know what she'll do in the next two books. AFFC and ADWD were combined, so up to a point, that was the same timeline.

Sansa doesn't have all that much to do, just three chapters in those 2 books, they pulled the one chapter, and there's something in that I think some of us will like, they could add that back, I suppose.

So, everyone loves how fierce Ellaria is in that picture. The thing is she wasn't like that in the books. Could it be a hint that she might replace other fearless and fierce characters? let's say, the older Sand Snakes?? I'm curious what people will say if it's true. I for one never liked Indira Varma. I haven't seen her in that many things but I've always had the impression that she's not a good actress. I might be wrong.

Rumour is, because Skrein is not a good actor. What I don't get is, why did they cast him at all?

Have you ever interviewed candidates for a job opening? I have done a fair amount, and occasionally it turns out that while the interview goes well, and it seems like a good fit, for reasons that weren't apparent at the time it just doesn't work out (could be on either side). With such an enormous cast it is inevitable that these types of things are going to happen. They clearly cast him because they thought he could do the role, and he accepted because he wanted to, and somewhere along the line one or both of them decided it wasn't working out.

I would say that if you've gone to the trouble of re-casting a character, it's about more than their on-screen performance. There's nothing on the screen in S3 to suggest that Skrein's is an incompetent actor. Even if you're not 100% sold on what they're giving you in the performance, you still tough it out because you've made your bed.

It's almost assuredly about something off-screen that we'll never know about unless one of the principles decides to blab about it at a future date. If I had to make a completely speculative guess based on no evidence, I'd say there was a dispute based on his behavior off-set or his conduct when it came to salary, confidentiality or serious personality conflicts with his fellow cast and/or crew.

Producers tend to put up with a lot of bad behavior from cast members in order to maintain the continuity of the show, so whatever he did, it was probably fairly serious in order for them to take this step.

I would say that if you've gone to the trouble of re-casting a character, it's about more than their on-screen performance. There's nothing on the screen in S3 to suggest that Skrein's is an incompetent actor. Even if you're not 100% sold on what they're giving you in the performance, you still tough it out because you've made your bed.

It's almost assuredly about something off-screen that we'll never know about unless one of the principles decides to blab about it at a future date. If I had to make a completely speculative guess based on no evidence, I'd say there was a dispute based on his behavior off-set or his conduct when it came to salary, confidentiality or serious personality conflicts with his fellow cast and/or crew.

Producers tend to put up with a lot of bad behavior from cast members in order to maintain the continuity of the show, so whatever he did, it was probably fairly serious in order for them to take this step.

I think so too. Ed Skrein seemed like a good enough actor in Season 3. I seriously doubt they let him go because of his performance.

Wonder if we'll get any insight during the S3 DVD commentaries when he shows up on screen.

There's no chance of that. You still can't get anyone to talk about Conan Stevens leaving and that was 3 years ago. If anyone blabs, it'll be Skrien in an interview where he feels like burning some bridges. Even then, you're never going to get the full story. They don't kiss and tell about that kind of stuff in show business.

maybe it's because of what GRRM told them about the future books, but it's not like he was a completely aminor character in ADWD to begin with.

Personally, this was the first thing that entered my mind when I first heard they had recast the role. That they now know something about Daario they did not know when they initially cast Skrein and went a different route. I don't think he was that bad of an actor. Certainly not something they couldn't have caught in the audition process when they initially cast him. So I don't think it has anything to do with his acting.

Archived