Similarities b/n Jon and other Targaryen princes........

Suzanna Stormborn

His compassion for the weak and outcasts remind me a bit of Dany. It's funny that Jon is actually very passionate, despite his apparent coldness. Apart from that, I don't know all that much from the other Targ princes, but I've seen people comparing him to Daeron II.

The Targaryen prince Jon resembles most is Baelor Breakspear.

Baelor Breakspear, is the Targaryen Crown Prince and heir to the Iron Throne, but he doesn't look like a Targaryen prince with his dark hair and scarred face with no jewels or pomp. He is the perfect example of the warrior-statesman, and being a mix of pragmatism and idealism. He was practical enough to insist upon hostages from the houses whom he fought against in the Blackfyre Rebellion to avoid flare-ups, and yet ideally defended a mere stranger, Dunk, against his brother, nephews and knights of the KG in a trial by seven.

Jon is the heir to the Iron Throne, but he doesn't look like a Targaryen with his dark hair, scarred face, and plain dress. He insists upon hostages from the wildlings who fought at the Battle of the Wall to avoid flare-ups, and Jon defended a mere stranger, Sam, against Halder and other boys in the yard ordered by Thorne.

Jon uses an alias, unwittingly, to hide his true Targaryen identity like his great-great-grandfather, Egg.

The Targaryen prince Jon resembles most is Baelor Breakspear.

Baelor Breakspear, is the Targaryen Crown Prince and heir to the Iron Throne, but he doesn't look like a Targaryen prince with his dark hair and scarred face with no jewels or pomp. He is the perfect example of the warrior-statesman, and being a mix of pragmatism and idealism. He was practical enough to insist upon hostages from the houses whom he fought against in the Blackfyre Rebellion to avoid flare-ups, and yet ideally defended a mere stranger, Dunk, against his brother, nephews and knights of the KG in a trial by seven.

Jon is the heir to the Iron Throne, but he doesn't look like a Targaryen with his dark hair, scarred face, and plain dress. He insists upon hostages from the wildlings who fought at the Battle of the Wall to avoid flare-ups, and Jon defended a mere stranger, Sam, against Halder and other boys in the yard ordered by Thorne.

Jon uses an alias, unwittingly, to hide his true Targaryen identity like his great-great-grandfather, Egg.

And much of Jon's preference for plain clothing can come from his Stark upbringing, and the fact that they think that showing off all your wealth while people are starving and miserable is a bad PR move. I know that the High Septon that showed off his finery while the people starved fell victim to such a revolt, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei in continuing to wear such finery, drew the ire of the small folk. And his austere tastes would be a good change of pace, after the excesses of the Baratheon-Lannister regime. I think that the fact that the Iron Throne has debts with the Iron Bank won't be a good sign for any potential claimants, especially if they think rulership is about luxuries and prestige, not duty. But Jon, in eschewing jewels and pomp, brings a desperately needed austerity to the table.

Egg and Jon similarities.

He has some signs which are worryingly similar to Rhaegar's.

He has walking the Dragon moments.

He protects the innocent like Baelor Brakspear.

He acts like Lycerys.

I know you meant *waking* the dragon, but this made me laugh and I instantly thought of Jon trying to attached a collar and lead to a dragon lol.

Anyway, on topic, I believe he is a bit of a mixture between Rhaegar, Egg and Baelor Breakspear.

I like the Baelor Breakspear comparison quite a lot. They both had non-Targaryen mothers to perhaps help tone down The Crazy and imbue them with other (better) traits. Though I don't know much (if anything) about Baelor's mother, the Dornish in general are pretty fierce, as was Lyanna.

In Jon's memories of his childhood games with Robb, I can see echoes of Egg. Though Egg was more nonchalant about some things (being raised in the royal family will do that to you) and didn't struggle with the identity of bastardy, they were both enthusiastic and dutiful types.

I can see similarities between the Rhaegar-Lyanna situation and Jon's affair with Ygritte. Neither of them were supposed to be with these women, but loved them anyway.

Also, Jon tried to run away from the Night's Watch to help Robb in the war despite knowing that he would be branded a deserter and oath breaker AND that the threat posed by the Others was far more important than any conflict between humans. Likewise, Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna even though he was bound by marriage vows to Elia, AND he knew his father was batshit crazy and that the well-being of the kingdom depended on him. The whole tragic "love is the death of duty" applies to the father as well as the son. :)

Also, Jon tried to run away from the Night's Watch to help Robb in the war despite knowing that he would be branded a deserter and oath breaker AND that the threat posed by the Others was far more important than any conflict between humans. Likewise, Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna even though he was bound by marriage vows to Elia, AND he knew his father was batshit crazy and that the well-being of the kingdom depended on him. The whole tragic "love is the death of duty" applies to the father as well as the son. :)

Except for the fact that Jon ultimately stayed true to the watch on both these occasions, unlike Rhaegar who lost everything.

I don't see anything especially Targaryen about him yet. Targaryens are usually very technocolor-Each of them has a little quirk that makes them stand out, and they are clannish as hell. Not that most familes in Westeros aren't. Like Jon, Daenerys did not have the benefit of being around more than Viserys as an example of Targness, yet she flowed right into the mold of the little silver princess. Bold, impulsive, firey, entitled.

Jon has the personality of a Stark, to me. He is not into wooing the ladies with his harp, or breaking bad on Westeros by conquering it on dragonback. Nor does he like to obsess about fire, or dreams, or marrying for love. His hair doesn't flow in the wind and he has certainly never known entitlement but for a small time when he first got to the Wall and whined a little.

Other than the direction Kit Harrington gets on the show (and now has been typecast in a new movie), I have not found the literary character to be a brooding emo. Jon has been pretty straight forward, has owned mistakes, and is really kind of a tough crow cookie now. He reminds me a lot of Benjen more than anything else. Maybe a little bit of Aegon the Conquerer without the conquering fetish.

Above all things, make no mistake: Rhaegar Targaryen knew he was a dragon, he knew he was the Crown Prince, and he knew he was adored. Jon Snow knows nothing.

Yet.

Starks had crazy wolf blood moments too. look at Brandon Stark, or even Rickard Karstark for that matter.

The Starks or at least some of them are specifically described as having the Wolfsblood and Jon also has a wolf. When the Reeds are explaining warging to Bran they tell him that he is in Summer and that Summer is in him. Its a two way process. When Jon "lost it" in that fight in the yard the reason why he was unaware of what he was doing was that Ghost had taken over.

He has some similarities with Baelor Breakspear which another poster explained very well, but that's it. He strikes me as a more practical Ned 2.0. He doesn't have anything similar to Rhaegar, thankfully. He doesn't have a passion for reading (see that conversation with Sam), he doesn't like music and dance, and he puts duty over passion, which is so what his father didn't do. He's introverted and melancholic, but so was Ned. And he seems to be able to inspire loyalty in people, well most people, just like Ned (it's for long dead Ned that those Clans are marching in a blizzard).

And the Starks have temper moments too, just look at Ned shoving a dagger under LF's throat when he said Cat was in the brothel.

Archived