Fashion - Fire and Blood Edition

karaddin

So I was looking through pictures from last night's Met Ball Gala. There are some lovely dresses, some really bad ones, and some just okay ones. And then there is this...

http://www.gofugyourself.com/met-gala-amusingly-played-kirsten-dunst-in-rodarte-05-2014

But then its even better when you realize there is a whole collection of these!

I wonder if Kirsten is holding out hope for a role in the new Star Wars movie?

So I was looking through pictures from last night's Met Ball Gala. There are some lovely dresses, some really bad ones, and some just okay ones. And then there is this...

http://www.gofugyourself.com/met-gala-amusingly-played-kirsten-dunst-in-rodarte-05-2014

But then its even better when you realize there is a whole collection of these!

I wonder if Kirsten is holding out hope for a role in the new Star Wars movie?

I too was cruising through pics and spotted her dress, but didn't realize there was a whole line of them! I saw pictures of Lupita in her green feathers and gems and wasn't impressed until I saw a full-body picture with the skirt in motion. Beautiful.

I too was cruising through pics and spotted her dress, but didn't realize there was a whole line of them! I saw pictures of Lupita in her green feathers and gems and wasn't impressed until I saw a full-body picture with the skirt in motion. Beautiful.

I think my problem with Lupita's dress is it wasn't the right dress to wear to this specific event. It just has absolutely nothing to do with the Charles James theme. And she could so rock and wear better than anyone a Charles James look. It would have been better if she had saved the green one for some other event this spring/summer.

And yeah I think having the Death Star on one's evening down is pretty awesome but not with that top/bodice which kind of make it fall flat for me. And yes a whole line of them is what made the collection even more awesomely hysterically fantastic. Imagine wearing an evening gown with Luke Skywalker on it! My inner 6 year old wants it! LOL!

According to her chat with André Leon Talley, Lupita was going for James' "Taxi Dress" look, with something you could change into in the taxi. I agree with you that it's not as James-y as it should be, but I think a lot of them weren't. Sarah Jessica Parker got it right, I felt, as did the Olson twins with their prune faces. Janelle Monae looked more interesting than a lot of the others.

Chiwetel Ejiofor was incredibly dashing in white tie. *fans self* And Benedict Cumberbatch looked very proper in full English-style white tie, next to Tom Ford who made the point that Charles James' style was very beautiful but not sexy - in part because the skirts were so wide that you couldn't get close to a woman. ;)

Yes, those men looked fabulous! A lot of the men looked great in their white tie.

According to her chat with André Leon Talley, Lupita was going for James' "Taxi Dress" look, with something you could change into in the taxi. I agree with you that it's not as James-y as it should be, but I think a lot of them weren't. Sarah Jessica Parker got it right, I felt, as did the Olson twins with their prune faces. Janelle Monae looked more interesting than a lot of the others.

Hmm maybe she meant it was supposed to be a play on James' "Taxi Dress"?

http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/171965

In which case I can see that the underdress was maybe supposed to be a play on that but its so dominated by the outer layer that you hardly notice it. Sticking with the green color, she would have looked so fabulous in something like this:

http://defunctfashion.tumblr.com/post/877852863/charles-james-ball-gown-c-1954

And hey leave the poor Olsen twins alone! They can't help the Bitchy Resting Face syndrome. It's okay when you are 9 months old like Price George because everyone thinks its adorable when a baby looks all frowny and grumpy but its just something you suffer with as an adult. I think they both look fabulous and perfect for the theme of the evening.

Yeah I was disappointed so many people ignored the theme and just went for whatever they wanted. I mean some of their choices really missed the mark for the evening and just looked WTF.

Yes, those men looked fabulous! A lot of the men looked great in their white tie.

Hmm maybe she meant it was supposed to be a play on James' "Taxi Dress"?

http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/171965

In which case I can see that the underdress was maybe supposed to be a play on that but its so dominated by the outer layer that you hardly notice it. Sticking with the green color, she would have looked so fabulous in something like this:

http://defunctfashion.tumblr.com/post/877852863/charles-james-ball-gown-c-1954

And hey leave the poor Olsen twins alone! They can't help the Bitchy Resting Face syndrome. It's okay when you are 9 months old like Price George because everyone thinks its adorable when a baby looks all frowny and grumpy but its just something you suffer with as an adult. I think they both look fabulous and perfect for the theme of the evening.

Yeah I was disappointed so many people ignored the theme and just went for whatever they wanted. I mean some of their choices really missed the mark for the evening and just looked WTF.

I want the original Taxi Dress. Wowza. Fantastic. But on Lupita the underdress was totally obscured, you're right. That green ballgown is lovely, though didn't she wear something in a similar colour during her Oscar campaign? Still, the colour would have been amazing on her.

I am utterly serious about the Olsen twins and prunes! It was originally printed in OK! magazine, which is usually obsequious about celebrities although I can't remember if it was OK or Hello which ran the cover story about Chavril's SECRET WEDDING with authorized pictures. *eyes roll out of head and onto floor*

ps. that defunctfashion tumblr has me drooling. Flagging it for Regina. Must make trip to the V&A soon...

pps. have just remembered that I have my grandfather's tails in the closet, though not his collapsible opera hat. Somewhere I have a picture of him wearing them, should find it.

I am seriously dating myself, but that outfit reminds me soooo much of the over-dress that Diana Muldaur wore in an episode of ST:TOS. She played a blind ambassador who accompanies a being who is so ugly that the sight of it kills anyone who casts an eye on its visage - something like Medusa. Anyway, the sensors on her over-dress allowed her to walk around without bumping into things. Couldn't find a good picture of it. This is all I found: http://24.media.tumblr.com/6b2e5bf80f15bc3d57a37a2e80feda94/tumblr_n0bi8i6mG51rgcauho1_500.jpg

ETA: As for wearing white after Labor Day and before Memorial Day, philosophically I say to hell with the "rules." Winter white looks lovely. But every time I actually put something white on during the cold months, I feel self-conscious and never go through with it. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived