[Spoilers] True Detective VIII - Without Ginger There is No You

Relic

See, I don't really get the "Marty has Cancer" thing, sure he mentions it but it is likely just a metaphor for guilt and regret. I could see Rust dying from lung cancer or cirrhosis though, the poor man looks practically cadaverous already...

Marty was likely just looking for closure with Maggie, he still cares for her and wanted to have a chance to say things he had been keeping back.

He probably thought, like most of us, that there would always be time to make things better, patch things up. But after seeing the video, it throws in his face that there are real horrors going on that people are killing to keep quiet. Marty realizes that helping Rust on this quest may not be something he'll walk away from.

Maggie is sharp, she spent years reading his body language to know when he was lying. She can sense he isn't telling her the real reason for the social call and pins him on it: "Are you saying goodbye?"

See, I don't really get the "Marty has Cancer" thing, sure he mentions it but it is likely just a metaphor for guilt and regret. I could see Rust dying from lung cancer or cirrhosis though, the poor man looks practically cadaverous already...

Marty was likely just looking for closure with Maggie, he still cares for her and wanted to have a chance to say things he had been keeping back.

He probably thought, like most of us, that there would always be time to make things better, patch things up. But after seeing the video, it throws in his face that there are real horrors going on that people are killing to keep quiet. Marty realizes that helping Rust on this quest may not be something he'll walk away from.

Maggie is sharp, she spent years reading his body language to know when he was lying. She can sense he isn't telling her the real reason for the social call and pins him on it: "Are you saying goodbye?"

Agreed. I don't see a compelling reason why Marty would keep cancer a secret from Rust or Maggie. Rust might if he had it, but I don't think he does either

Marty went to see Maggie because he found out that she had been questioned about Rust and wanted to make sure that she hadn't incriminated him in anything.

I thought it was sad that Marty asked about the girls like they were hers and not his.

Rust said that most likely someone "did in" Tuttle. If lawnmower man is a rogue family member, who killed Tuttle? The Senator Tuttle? It just doesn't end. I don't understand why they allowed lawnmower man to do his thing when it was bound to bring attention to their cult.

Thank you for feeling bad for me. It makes me feel better when you feel bad. You guys have won me over. I think this whole website should be turned into a huge ginger grab-ass festival. Someone sneak in and add some ginger jokes to the ASOIAF chapter summaries. It won't actually be funny, but it'll be hip because we're "in on it". :)

You are very welcome, starving. I am betting that if you would only open your mind to the love of all things Ginger, you would feel better about life. Don't be like Rust. Love the Ginger. :)

so you "been here a long, long, time"

you lurk

you appear to type with a British accent

your name: "star"written in black letters is black star

"v" is the roman numeral 5

so we have 5 black stars

"ing": a native English suffix meaning “one belonging to,” “of the kind of,” “one descended from”

so you are literally: one belonging to or of the 5 black stars

take off your mask we see you for who you are

Maple, I feel like Yoda dealing with Luke Skywalker. You have learned a lot in these threads!!! :D

I took it to be that Marty and Maggie have really moved beyond animosity in their relationship. The bitterness and hatred isn't there anymore. It was moving that they were in a place where Maggie was genuinely concerned about Marty's outcome. Marty telling her "thanks" as his goodbye was really emotional to me. I thought Harrelson really nailed that character in that moment.

The interaction with Maggie and Marty was bittersweet. It was emotional for me, too. Marty has matured as a human being, and you can actually see that he understands what he lost, and that he regrets it deeply, and still loves this woman. Maggie is basically the same cool, composed personality, but Marty is so different. It's a credit to Woody H's acting skills. This scene was integral to showing the maturity of Marty.

Another awesome interview with NP Well worth the read.

liked this bit

Great interview.

I wonder though about this passage:

"The staging was more or less there in the scripts, and then Cary and I worked together on the execution. But there is a clear mandate in pay-cable for a certain level of nudity. Now, you’re not going to get our two lead movie stars to go full-frontal, but we at least got Matthew’s butt in there. There’s not a great deal of nudity in the series at all, though, compared to other shows on pay-cable. I’d be happy with none. Seems to me if people want to see naked people doing it, there’s this thing called “the internet.”

Does that mean that HBO actually orders them to include x amount of tits and arse per season? That's pretty fucked up.

Anyways....

Cool article about all the sets and stuff

most interesting thing in it

For those tracking the appearances of the spirals, you can cross off the one you found in Hart’s house. That was a mistake. “I didn’t even notice that one,” DiGerlando said. “We got a whole bunch of artwork from the daughter of a friend of mine down the street and used it to decorate Marty’s house. None of us put it together that there was a spiral in there.

:D

Rust said that most likely someone "did in" Tuttle. If lawnmower man is a rogue family member, who killed Tuttle? The Senator Tuttle? It just doesn't end. I don't understand why they allowed lawnmower man to do his thing when it was bound to bring attention to their cult.

Good point. If the Cult kills members who put it in jeopardy, they should have killed Lawnmower Childress for the Dora Lange murder

I still think Tuttle killed himself

I think the burns on Dora's moms hands will come into play, maybe she tried auto save her son from his dad putting something horrible on his face .... Dora was around these freaks as a child if we think that horse pic was a clue...

Strokes can be brought about by full on mystical experiences... (Marie's uncle)

I agree the law mower man is staging these to impress the rest of the cult that does not think he is refined enough to be a member

If this has a twin peaks ending .. The yellow king is evil itself.. I am going to explode

Why does NP say "the killer" and not "killers"?

So Errol was all 5 people on the tape that Marty watched? All the people running around deep in the woods where there's "all kinds of good killing going on" are all Errol? The only time we explicitly have a connection for Errol was that he was the third person involved at the meth shack because the catatonic girl said the guy with the scars was the worst. And people refer to tall man with scars. Not in denial that we're being told Errol was involved but aren't there other more interesting people/facts to be revealed other than the good ol boy on the lawnmower that Cohle was too stupid to recognize 17 years ago because of some light facial hair. Because if that's our main villain and there's not much else to this story, then the ending lacks.

^ Because, for Marty & Rust, he's the killer. He's the one they've been chasing, and even obsessing over. This all started - for them - with Dora Lange. I don't think they hold any delusions that they could end - in the larger sense - the 'whole thing' (for lack of a better way to describe it). It's a personal matter. At least, that's my interpretation.

Errol Childress is the one who takes the kids. He has access to the schools and blends into the background. He moves from school to school for his work, has a truck, and tools. His job is to bring them to the cult. Maybe sometimes the LeDoux brothers help him out. At the end of Ep VII, he was cutting the grass in a spiral, by the way.

Why were the kids in the back of a box truck at the LeDoux meth house? How did they get those kids? I theorize that after Sam Tuttle (or other cult figures) is finished with them ("he didn't like them but the one time") then they are sacrificed or murdered or hunted or shared among the cult members. Maybe as payment for services. Or, Errol and the LeDoux brothers abduct them on their own for their own sick purposes.

How did Miss Delores know of Carcosa and the stick sculptures? Can she know the killer and the public rituals, but not be aware of the killing and the rape? No, because she is aware of Sam Tuttle's sexual habits. Was she telling crazy true stories but people considered her demented? How much did she know and why didn't they press her when she might have seen it all?

In the first episode, Rusty says "I contemplate allowing oneself to be crucified". Is this investigation his own attempt to crucify himself? He is self-destructive. Uncovering the truth of the case will destroy him (and probably Hart as well) and I wonder if the ultimate conclusion will be something similar to a crucifixion or martyrdom for Rusty. Another possibility is the preview scene where a man is tied to a bed, maybe that is his crucifixion.

Papania and Gilbaugh must have some greater significance. Maybe they tail Rusty and Marty and precipitate the final confrontation or discovery. Rusty & Marty are chasing leads and Papania & Gilbaugh are chasing them. They should all end up in the same place.

"You're gonna do this again" says Reggie to Rusty. It's almost a curse. He dooms Rusty to repeat the experience of Reggie's capture/murder, which comes to define Rusty's life. Marty & Rusty create a "play" (just as The King In Yellow is a play) version of Reggie & DeWall's killing that they must enact again and again. For the shooting board. For other cops. In 2002. In their own heads. In 2012. They are both cursed and to madness in the same way that people who witness the play The King In Yellow are driven to madness.

Where is Carcosa? Is it really a place? Or is it just a state of madness you enter where your life becomes fixated on repeating the same rituals and you are destroyed by man's potential for evil deeds. "You're in Carcosa now, with me" and that is where Rusty stays. Trapped by the case for the rest of his life. He ran from it (2002-10) but could not escape.

wha??

I have given up trying to comprehend the reasoning behind many of the posts that have shown up in this thread the past few weeks. :dunno: Lots of interesting folks crawling out of the woodwork for this one.

Some joker last night got on here and created a blatant spoiler post claiming to have seen the finale and thus revealed the ending, which the mods quickly nuked (the details reeked of BS, so I doubt any of the assertions were true).

I'll just assume that all those posts are from the same person with a bunch of different alts.

Distinctly possible, yet if that were the case it would seem the mods would nuke the entire operation, as alts are severely frowned upon here.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to have a series that creates this much buzz, and thus provides fodder for crackpot theories and the like. I guess the reason it's starting to wear thin for me is that we're so close to the actual end now that the vast majority of said pots have been cracked beyond repair. In three days we'll know all the answers (or at least the most meaningful ones).

I just wish people would take the time to read the threads rather than repeat things that have been brought up and discussed at length before. Dissertations are for College. Thank you.

How did Miss Delores know of Carcosa and the stick sculptures? Can she know the killer and the public rituals, but not be aware of the killing and the rape? No, because she is aware of Sam Tuttle's sexual habits. Was she telling crazy true stories but people considered her demented? How much did she know and why didn't they press her when she might have seen it all?

Good question - but I think the answer is they aren't cops anymore. If they push too hard the police will be alerted and any hope of finding evidence will vanish as the cultists scrub away anything they might find.

Archived