[Spoilers] True Detective VIII - Without Ginger There is No You

Relic

Does anyone else feel like NP might be saying this just to deflect from the criticism that women are portrayed badly in the show? Rust has a keen sense of right and wrong that I have yet to see him violate - except for boinking Maggie. Which should count more against her since she instigated it hard and was married. He is self-destructive to an extent but hasn't hurt anyone else except Marty

Rust may have a keen sense of right and wrong, but it doesn't really line up with "morals". He's a vigilante. He screwed his partner's wife (and does not get a pass because she "instigated" it, whatever that means).

Unless you guys are talking about something different, the quote NP (and Fukunaga) used to describe Maggie was that she was the most emotionally intelligent character, which in my opinion she definitely is. It makes a lot more sense than "morally advanced".

Unless you guys are talking about something different, the quote NP (and Fukunaga) used to describe Maggie was that she was the most emotionally intelligent character, which in my opinion she definitely is. It makes a lot more sense than "morally advanced".

Yeah that's what I heard from them. She certainly is able to get a good read on everyone around her.

That's easily true. Cohle and Hart are emotionally dysfunctional in different ways.

You are right. I said "morally advanced" instead of emotionally intelligent. I remembered incorrectly. I found that to be very interesting: that Maggie, not Rust, was the most emotionally intelligent character.

I am just not sure where I land with Ms. Maggie. I have a feeling that she's more morally ambiguous than we suspected, just because of episode 7.

This is how ridiculous I, this thread and you lovely people, and the Internet have gotten; we all watch these episodes thinking, brainstorming, searching. I rewatched the episode and noticed Maggie's blouse with the stars all over it, and my mind raced with, "stars! Stars! Maggie's wearing stars!" :P

You are right. I said "morally advanced" instead of emotionally intelligent. I remembered incorrectly. I found that to be very interesting: that Maggie, not Rust, was the most emotionally intelligent character.

Emotionally speaking, Rust's character has been a total mess from start to finish.

And considering that Hart is, well, he's Hart, NP's comment isn't exactly high praise since Maggie is the only other fleshed out character in the show. It'd be like him saying that this is the greatest season of True Detective ever.

That makes a lot more sense

You know we haven't seen Maggie's new husband at all yet. My bet that she is into some major beard loving now. It really is the only thing that makes sense. I'm calling the new Duo Ginggie,,,

This is a noble cause but the guy in the wedding photo was with black hair and lacking in ginger beard :( Maybe Audrey is hanging out with him though and he's the nice guy helping with her "meds" and depression?

Relic - I love the censored title. In keeping seeing hidden meaning in emptiness that the show encourages, I'm going to try and decipher exactly what you were trying to say in "[spoilers] True Detective VIII" . I think the use of roman numerals is significant and is probably suggestive of a pagan cult going back to roman times. It may also be that the show contains allusions to Star Wars episode VIIII (who knows whether this is canon or not) and that the yellow king is actually C3PO and Rust and Hart are actually the two Sith trying their best to restore balance to Louisiana which has been set of kilter by the Jedi - a society that has gone rotten.

I'm sure Maple can contribute more.

Someone has gingered us by changing the title. What does this mean? I've got a deer antler on my front porch, too. And the book I'm reading is yellow. And my husband has been asking me a lot of questions about my doings because he's 'concerned'.

Should I be worried? :O

Back to the topic at hand, besides hoping for a two hour season finale, I'm also hoping that they delve a little deeper into rural Louisiana Mardi Gras celebrations and how the cult functions. Did all of this come out of a very disturbed mind? Or is there a basis for it? It seems that this has been going on for at least two generations that we know of...could it be more?

Jesus, guys, you seriously talked a full thread for every episode aired so far and now startin to overtake the schedule? The show is decent and all, but seven incarnations of the thread before the first season even reached finale? ;)

True Detective has absolutely been about the journey, not the destination. I don't feel there will be traditional resolution with the bad guys coming to justice. We may find it the who and the why, but that is probably it. Time is a flat circle, after all.

This Ginger obsession on here is stupid! :bang:

As someone who has read the entire ASOIAF series and watched every GoT episode ~4 times, and lurked here for years, I registered partially because I was so annoyed by this asinine ginger-meme in this thread.

Does anyone else feel like NP might be saying this just to deflect from the criticism that women are portrayed badly in the show? Rust has a keen sense of right and wrong that I have yet to see him violate - except for boinking Maggie. Which should count more against her since she instigated it hard and was married. He is self-destructive to an extent but hasn't hurt anyone else except Marty

As for Woody and the videotape scene, I think the problem was the writing. As a seasoned detective (who just recounted a story about finding a baby's remains in a microwave), the reaction was a little over the top. His shock and outrage led me to believe it was evidence of Audrey's abuse when I first saw the promo

Yeah, exactly. He's seen some awful things and without having some kind of personal link to it I don't 'get' the reaction, which makes it feel over the top and out of place. I've also felt his other episodes have been overshadowed by MM's weirdness in his character while WH has absolutely nailed the intricacies of his without much note and the two times people have truly noticed him, I've felt that those scenes were somewhat forced. Specifically the tape scene and the Ledoux shooting scene. I didn't get either of those reactions.

Woody Harrelson's acting was phenomenal in the last episode, what are you guys talking about? Sure, the tape scene it self might have felt a bit...I dunno, forced, but Woody did the best he could have done with the close up on his face, which I think was out of place.

Agreed. His scene with Maggie was brilliant in the complexity of emotion (both subtle and unsubtle) he was able to convey.

Sure people will lampoon the videotape scene but he played it wonderfully. Really, what else was his character supposed to do in that circumstance? We've already seen how he reacts to seeing children abused.

As someone who has read the entire ASOIAF series and watched every GoT episode ~4 times, and lurked here for years, I registered partially because I was so annoyed by this asinine ginger-meme in this thread.

Welcome to the boards!

Archived