Fourth Trailer Hits the Web

Westeros

Even if its Mel, it doesn't make it right at all. Stannis would absolutely never sanction a burning of a non-believer, morally conflicted or not.

Agreed. If he has the authority to stop it but lets it go ahead out of some weird adherence to a R'hllor-only law he's imposing, it's practically as bad as having ordered it himself.

What was wrong with the situation on Dragonstone in the books, where more and more commoners, knights and lords were going back to the Seven punishment-free, and where Rolland Storm was given a position of considerable authority, even though he was "fierce" in his devotion to the Warrior? I understand why they would leave that out to focus on the more important scenes on Dragontone, but why would they make up new scenes to conflict with it?

Well, the upswing here is there'll be less claims of "he's totally the same, you guys".

Heh. So we are fanatical? :rolleyes:

Well, I think most people on this board could be described as fanatical when it comes to their favorite characters (take the Sansa discussion a couple pages back), the Stan-Stans especially so. I think many of his fans seem to have this impression that he's some kind of heroic superhuman protagonist, which is an incredibly biased way of looking at the text. It amuses and frustrates me when people try to turn this around and claim that D&D are blinded by their own biases because his show version doesn't reflect their own interpretation of the character.

I'm not saying their Stannis has been perfect – but I would be even more displeased with the show if they tried to portray him as the kind of character his fans seem to think he is.

With regards to this specific change, I'm not sure how I feel about it. If Stannis really does condone Mel's behavior and chant "Burn the heretics!" alongside her, then yes, I would see a cause for complaint. Personally, I'm going to wait until I've seen the episode before I pass judgement.

Also him burning people as non-believers doesnt make much sense, as Davos is not a believer of Rhollor, therefore if he is going according to this why doesnt he burn Davos? Just seems stupid, they should have made this for treason, not for non-believers, else I'm sure there would be a lot more then 3 people being burnt. So rather a stupid scene according to this info, but it could be wrong, however I will wait to see how it plays on screen before picking up my pitch fork

Agreed. If he has the authority to stop it but lets it go ahead out of some weird adherence to a R'hllor-only law he's imposing, it's practically as bad as having ordered it himself.

What was wrong with the situation on Dragonstone in the books, where more and more commoners, knights and lords were going back to the Seven punishment-free, and where Rolland Storm was given a position of considerable authority, even though he was "fierce" in his devotion to the Warrior? I understand why they would leave that out to focus on the more important scenes on Dragontone, but why would they make up new scenes to conflict with it?

Well, the upswing here is there'll be less claims of "he's totally the same, you guys".

I agree. He can easily burn Davos on this premise, since he is a non-believer too.

Also him burning people as non-believers doesnt make much sense, as Davos is not a believer of Rhollor, therefore if he is going according to this why doesnt he burn Davos? Just seems stupid, they should have made this for treason, not for non-believers, else I'm sure there would be a lot more then 3 people being burnt. So rather a stupid scene according to this info, however I will wait to see how it plays on screen

Maybe he actively speaks out against or attacks Melisandre, or tries to convince Stannis to turn away from R'hllor? :dunno:

There's a lot we don't know yet. I have a hard time believing they would allow such a strange and unnecessary plot hole to exist just for the purposes of turning Unsullied away from Stannis; they're pretty smart people down at HBO.

When she says I will find her. I love that look he's giving her there.

Oh, thanks, we've got a lot of new stuff all of the sudden, it does things to my brain :drunk:

Also I agree, and hopefully we'll get more of NCW's "tell-tale" looks

Re : Stannis's adaptation : it's a mixed bag for me, just a series of hit and miss (same goes for 2/3 of the charcters), but upon rewatching s3, they do get some things right, more than people care to admit imo.

Now if he's indeed burning people as unbelievers, that would be very wrong, but I'm sure it'll play out differently (right ? right ??)

Maybe the person he burns are being burned for treason, and their motivation was based on religion.

That would be ideal, I think. They could bring to light the Seven vs R'hllor schism among Stannis' men, and have the burnings to take the place of Alester's.

Now if he's indeed burning people as unbelievers, that would be very wrong, but I'm sure it'll play out differently (right ? right ??)

He's already done it on the show. :dunno:

He's already done it on the show. :dunno:

Has he ? I mean yes there are some pretty cringe-worthy scene where he's blinded by his faith, but it's more his faith in Melisandre (upon seeing what she has/seem to have accomplished) than actual belief in R'hollor. He keeps calling him/it "her God"

Has he ? I mean yes there are some pretty cringe-worthy scene where he's blinded by his faith, but it's more his faith in Melisandre (upon seeing what she has/seem to have accomplished) than actual belief in R'hollor. He keeps calling him/it "her God"

I agree. I only remember two scenes: the one where he begs to Melisandre and the last one where he spares Davos' life at the behest of Melisandre.

Oh dear. Let's wait till it airs, shall we? After all the Stannis scene in episode 2 will likely be the one from the trailers with the line that everyone liked ("I will not be a page in another man's history book"). And we shouldn't infer either that all of the scenes in that ep. will be D and D written, maybe some were by them and some by GrrM and they placed them together so that they could introduce the story in ep. 2 and other arcs in ep. 1. We won't really know that for sure until interviews and commentary.

As for his scenes in Valar Dohaeris, they were some of the best reviewed in that episode. I won't even get started on the Sansa debate. Anyways, I'm going to school in a moment and won't be able to counter-argue for several hours. There's my two cents for now anyhow.

Stannis does burn non-believers in the books as well, Lord Guncer Sunglass and others. It happens during ACoK, true, but he does it. Those guys do actively try to resist the installation of R'hllorism on Dragonstone, which is a thing Davos does not. And Selyse's own uncle is burned in part as 'punishment' for trying to negotiate a peace with Tywin (while Stannis was all in depression mode, unwilling to deal with matters of state by himself), in part to conjure up the favorable winds that carried Stannis' fleet to Eastwatch.

That's not very nice. Stannis is in the right, of course, from the POV a lord and king he is the one to decide how a person is to be put to death for high treason, but it's really not the way to deal with your wife's uncle or brother (in the show).

Stannis does burn non-believers in the books as well, Lord Guncer Sunglass and others. It happens during ACoK, true, but he does it. Those guys do actively try to resist the installation of R'hllorism on Dragonstone, which is a thing Davos does not. And Selyse's own uncle is burned in part as 'punishment' for trying to negotiate a peace with Tywin (while Stannis was all in depression mode, unwilling to deal with matters of state by himself), in part to conjure up the favorable winds that carried Stannis' fleet to Eastwatch.

That's not very nice. Stannis is in the right, of course, from the POV a lord and king he is the one to decide how a person is to be put to death for high treason, but it's really not the way to deal with your wife's uncle or brother (in the show).

Strictly speaking it's Melisandre who burns Lord Guncer, though this begs the question why Stannis failed to punish her.

Stannis does burn non-believers in the books as well, Lord Guncer Sunglass and others. It happens during ACoK, true, but he does it.

That happens when Stannis is at Blackwater. Selyse was in charge of Dragonstone. She organised those burnings. Stannis had no clue whatsoever what was happening at Dragonstone at that time.

I'm not sure that this is confirmed. Couldn't it have happened after Stannis had returned from the Blackwater all in depression mode? He would then have to be blamed for not preventing Lord Alester from treating with Tywin, as well as for a dereliction of justice by allowing his wife and a priestess with no official position in his government to execute people in a most horrific way...

Archived