Fourth Trailer Hits the Web

Westeros

This sounds pretty f*cking awesome, on a more positive note (from Reddit about the Inn scene):

And it is definitely portrayed as direct payback for what he did to Lommy. When they first come to the inn, she identifies Polliver to the Hound as "he killed Lommy." The Hound's response, if I recall correctly, is "What the fuck is a Lommy?"

I can definitely understand the criticisms about Sansa. But they've already screwed up her ASOS arc in S3, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they continued to screw with it this season.

My only hope is that if/when Sansa's arc and character development in the books becomes more apparent and less subtle as it has been thus far in the series, they'll start being more ... generous with the character in the show. -_-

About Sansa, Arya, Brienne

I definitly think the trailer is deceiving. Unsullied don't know that Sansa runs away and so far, we believe that Arya is missing and they doesn't know either that she won't return to KL. Brienne is a capable warrior and she managed to get Jaime alive to KL, why would be hard for the Unsullied to believe she can find Arya and take her back to the Queen?

OTOH, there is a reason why they want to find Sansa. First, she's lost (duh) and second, she's thought to be involved in the murder of Joffrey along with Tyrion. There is no way Jaime won't try to find her and help his brother. If anybody here think they show is simply going to conveniently forget that part, well... I actually hope they don't because Jaime last season was shown to be on the path of redeeming himself and he's doing both by getting the girl safe as promised and helping his brother. I wouldn't bet money on it but I'm 90% certain they will have Brienne looking for Sansa, AND, even Arya. But definitely they won't drop Sansa. She can go for both girls.

This sounds pretty f*cking awesome, on a more positive note (from Reddit about the Inn scene):

I didn't see that! This is going to be so good.

I can definitely understand the criticisms about Sansa. But they've already screwed up her ASOS arc in S3, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they continued to screw with it this season.

I won't be surprised at all. I'd rather see the character cut than like this.

For those who were absolutely devastated by The Tickler being offed so early because it would "ruin" Arya's Needle scene (good times, go look up the outrage), it sounds like there's nothing to worry about.

Arya puts Polliver in the same position he had Lommy and finishes him off just the same way Lommy was, which is way more badass than "Where's the gold?"

For those who were absolutely devastated by The Tickler being offed so early because it would "ruin" Arya's Needle scene (good times, go look up the outrage), it sounds like there's nothing to worry about.

Arya puts Polliver in the same position he had Lommy and finishes him off just the same way Lommy was, which is way more badass than "Where's the gold?"

I'm perfectly fine with how they did it in the show, but the guy playing the Tickler was pretty good so I wish he had lived.

It's really not a small change. Sansa's interactions with Dontos and the escape plan represent an arc spanning the better part of two books. Rewriting that so that Sansa is basically snatched out of King's Landing unawares is a huge change to her escape. And it remains, to date, the most active role she's taken in the plot.

Yeah I think you may be jumping to a few conclusions here based on a second hand account of a scene from the first episode.

Yeah I think you may be jumping to a few conclusions here based on a second hand account of a scene from the first episode.

It's rather unlikely that the viewer managed to miss what would have been the primary point of the scene, given the rest of his/her account.

It's rather unlikely that the viewer managed to miss what would have been the primary point of the scene, given the rest of his/her account.

But it is just 1 scene though that is my point. They will most likely have another one before she escapes. If she is completely unaware at that point of what is going I will join you in your criticism.

Why is that likely? I can't see any reason why the show, which is nothing if not space-conscious, would turn a single scene into two scenes unnecessarily.

You think that after Joffrey chokes and chaos erupts that Dontos is just going to appear and grab Sansa by the arm and say you are coming with me? Sure, it is possible but I doubt it.

I'm a bit confused... Hasn't Sansa already made attempts to escape King's Landing (agency!) with both Littlefinger and - to a lesser extent - Margaery? I mean, she's already been complicit in two plots to help her escape the city, both of which required discretion and secrecy on her part, right?

In any case, this is just an outline, and anyone who has ever been to a premiere screening could attest to the fact that it's quite easy to miss things (lines of dialogue, the purpose of some scenes) due to the multitude of distractions (like the majority of the cast being present...). No need to get so damn dramatic over this stuff.

And please stop acting like Sansa's arc has been ruined or 'shouldn't have been included at all' (because seriously). I'm actually re-reading the books right now, and paying particular attention to her story line (props to Le Cynge) on this go, and I'm still not seeing the huge issue with her presentation in the show. I like it a lot actually. Just going by my own anecdotal experience lately, but I've noticed a lot more of my friends (all non-readers) have been asking about Sansa, or expressing an interest in where her story line is going (as compared to the first three seasons), so I don't think I'm alone on that.

Obviously it's not as good as it was in the books, but if that were the bar I set for the show, I'd probably like it about as much as I like The Walking Dead (which is to say that I wouldn't). Her experience in the show is different, more than anything, out of a matter of context. You can't take her reaction to her wedding with Tyrion in the show and rightly compare it with her reaction in the book, because the entire context of the moment is different. It's not sprung upon her unaware. Tyrion isn't as unattractive to her in the show (because Peter Dinklage is an attractive guy, and his interpretation of Tyrion isn't so spiteful - not yet, anyway), and - in the grand scheme of things - it's better than Joffrey. She didn't seem to have much time for introspection concerning her situation in the book, but she had time to think about, discuss, and digest her situation in the show. It's just silly to expect her to have the same reaction.

Whether or not that bothers you is a matter of personal opinion, and I'm not all that interested in that, by and large. It annoys me, however, when people come to the conclusion that something doesn't make sense, or is bad characterization, etc., simply because it's different than the books. The show has a logic and internal consistency all its own, so when someone makes a statement saying that 'Sansa from the books would never do that.' it pretty much means nothing. They're right, of course, because this isn't Sansa from the books. It's like some people are considering each change as being a 1:1 comparison, instead of each change having a cumulative effect that slowly makes the character more distinct from that of their book counterpart. This is inevitable in adaptation, because an actor working in conjunction with writers and directors will always inform the character they're portraying. Actors don't want their scripts to be shackles, and neither do writers or directors. This is an adaptation, not a transcription.

In any case, who's to say that they don't share another scene together? Even if they don't, I'm not sure if I see the huge issue, anyway. Whether Dontos explains the plan or not, Sansa will be making a choice to follow him. And that's the agency some are so worried about, right?

I'm a bit confused... Hasn't Sansa already made attempts to escape King's Landing (agency!) with both Littlefinger and - to a lesser extent - Margaery? I mean, she's already been complicit in two plots to help her escape the city, both of which required discretion and secrecy on her part, right?

In any case, this is just an outline, and anyone who has ever been to a premiere screening could attest to the fact that it's quite easy to miss things (lines of dialogue, the purpose of some scenes) due to the multitude of distractions (like the majority of the cast being present...). No need to get so damn dramatic over this stuff.

And please stop acting like Sansa's arc has been ruined or 'shouldn't have been included at all' (because seriously). I'm actually re-reading the books right now, and paying particular attention to her story line (props to Le Cynge) on this go, and I'm still not seeing the huge issue with her presentation in the show. I like it a lot actually. Just going by my own anecdotal experience lately, but I've noticed a lot more of my friends (all non-readers) have been asking about Sansa, or expressing an interest in where her story line is going (as compared to the first three seasons), so I don't think I'm alone on that.

Obviously it's not as good as it was in the books, but if that were the bar I set for the show, I'd probably like it about as much as I like The Walking Dead (which is to say that I wouldn't). Her experience in the show is different, more than anything, out of a matter of context. You can't take her reaction to her wedding with Tyrion in the show and rightly compare it with her reaction in the book, because the entire context of the moment is different. It's not sprung upon her unaware. Tyrion isn't as unattractive to her in the show (because Peter Dinklage is an attractive guy, and his interpretation of Tyrion isn't so spiteful - not yet, anyway), and - in the grand scheme of things - it's better than Joffrey. She didn't seem to have much time for introspection concerning her situation in the book, but she had time to think about, discuss, and digest her situation in the show. It's just silly to expect her to have the same reaction.

Whether or not that bothers you is a matter of personal opinion, and I'm not all that interested in that, by and large. It annoys me, however, when people come to the conclusion that something doesn't make sense, or is bad characterization, etc., simply because it's different than the books. The show has a logic and internal consistency all its own, so when someone makes a statement saying that 'Sansa from the books would never do that.' it pretty much means nothing. They're right, of course, because this isn't Sansa from the books. It's like some people are considering each change as being a 1:1 comparison, instead of each change having a cumulative effect that slowly makes the character more distinct from that of their book counterpart. This is inevitable in adaptation, because an actor working in conjunction with writers and directors will always inform the character they're portraying. Actors don't want their scripts to be shackles, and neither do writers or directors. This is an adaptation, not a transcription.

In any case, who's to say that they don't share another scene together? Even if they don't, I'm not sure if I see the huge issue, anyway. Whether Dontos explains the plan or not, Sansa will be making a choice to follow him. And that's the agency some are so worried about, right?

:agree: Another great post, Khal-a-bunga. Always nice to add a bit of sanity and reason to these forums. I agree with almost every word of this. People here seem to be under the impression that S3 Sansa has been tugged around lamely like a sack of meat between Littlefinger, the Lannisters, and the Tyrells, when that's simply not the case: she's made her own decisions, had her own agendas, and while she's still ultimately in the power of those surrounding her (something which is most certainly true in the books as well) she definitely hasn't just been a prop for the other characters, no matter what the Sansa-fans and D&D haters keep trying to maintain.

No, those really don't compare at all. For starters, they involve other people just walking up to her while she stands around; a far cry from the book plot, which would have made for tense, interesting TV. And it matters that this is the plot that actually succeeds.

You can't take her reaction to her wedding with Tyrion in the show and rightly compare it with her reaction in the book, because the entire context of the moment is different. It's not sprung upon her unaware. Tyrion isn't as unattractive to her in the show (because Peter Dinklage is an attractive guy, and his interpretation of Tyrion isn't so spiteful - not yet, anyway), and - in the grand scheme of things - it's better than Joffrey. She didn't seem to have much time for introspection concerning her situation in the book, but she had time to think about, discuss, and digest her situation in the show.

You act like them changing the entire context was an action separate from changing her reaction. It wasn't. They wanted Tyrion to look squeaky clean, and everything flowed from that.

Le Cygne, the lady who saw the episode says at one point in her AMA that Daario does indeed bring Dany flowers. Thought you'd like that.

No way, are you serious? I wanted to see that so much, I even watched a bunch of stuff the new actor did and finally found a scene where he gave a girl flowers and I thought, yeah, he can pull off Daario. It was that that convinced me.

Man, that is such a Daario thing, and Dany liked it more than a little, too. If on the other hand you are pulling my leg...

Archived