TWOW. Tyrion Chapter from ASOIAF App (Spoilers)

Yes. The info packs, as they call them, that expand to cover all the books, cost a nominal fee, but you can download the app for free, get a sample of what it offers, and I believe the excerpt is included in the free version.

I liked the memory Tyrion has of his father and that Penny kissed him right after. And that he was at a loss for words. He really doesn't know what to do with her.

"Better to look a fool than to be one," the dwarf replied. "We are on the losing side."

Jorah seems to be making his comeback. Tyrion does seem destined to ride a dragon. Certainly he is much closer to being on Dany's side and at it. The weirwood colors of the white dragon where the

Yunkish blood had collected in the fine grooves of the carving, so the pale wood seemed veined with red. "All hail our beloved queen, Daenerys." Be she alive or be she dead. He tossed the bloody dragon in the air, caught it, grinned. "We have always been the queen's men," announced Brown Ben Plumm. "Rejoining the Yunkai'i was just a plot."

Yes, I wonder what was on the breastplate too.

I agree with the people who want penny out;

Things seem to be falling apart faster for the Yunkish than expected. I'll bet that Vic won't even get a chance to blow his horn;

I was also surprised about the succes of Marselen's freedmen. It looks like they kicked the Long Lances (whom I thougt we're quite good; On a par with the windblown I'd say) asses; I always assumed Dany's freedmen to be quite shitty.

Also liked the fact that the Ironborn blocked off the river. They probably managed to bottle a lot of ships up on the river, which bodes well for Dany's seapower.

I do wonder what Tyrion's next step will be. I am assuming that tatters already took care of the POW's, since he took out supreme command. will Tyrion help the Ironborn or will he attack the catapults? I personally think that they'll attack bloodbeard and the two new ghis legions from behind, helping the Unsullied to victory (reverse their own orders).

The main reason I own this app and all versions is so that I can demonstrate to friends just how massive these books are by demonstratively dragging my finger down the character list and watching it scroll for several minutes.

I think it makes me look smarter somehow.

Truth is, though, I've read these books 4 times and I don't know who the hell half those people are.

I loved this. Before the battle Tyrion's thinking how scared and how he might die, thinking about how important preparation is to survival and then he drops this:

"Only a fool rides into battle sober." :laugh:

Classic Tyrion.

My app is...not cooperating, but I did have a question for those who've managed to read the chapter. Reading Charlie Jane Anders' io9.com article containing a brief description of the chapter, it sounds like she noticed a disconcerting deterioration in Tyrion's mental state in this chapter, more so, I guess, than in ADWD, to the point where she's worried about something particularly terrible in his future in TWOW (more so, I guess, than in ADWD):

"1) Tyrion's self-loathing has gotten really bad. Like, really really bad. A lot of the chapter is just reminding you of how screwed up this guy is, and how much he's been through, at this point. He's got a lot of guilt and post-traumatic stress and general nastiness, and you sense that he's probably not the safest guy to be around right now. The amount of time spent setting up Tyrion's dreadful state of mind leaves me wondering if Martin is setting him up to do something really terrible later in the book."

Did any of you who've read the chapter notice any significant change in Tyrion or potential foreshadowing for Tyrion doing something "really terrible" later in the book (I mean, something worse than what he's already done)? I kind of figured Tyrion had bottomed out--psychologically, morally, everything-ly--in ADWD, but who am I kidding? This is ASOIAF: there's always more down.

Yeah he nearly kills Penny because he reminds him of Shae. He's so accustomed to his loves ending tragically that it's not safe for anyone to show him affection at the moment, but it is good that he learns restraint over this powerful rage.

From what it sounds like, the Ironborn are doing great as they have a fireship flinging destruction and landing their best warriors to join the fight. The unsullied need the Second Son's help more and if they want to convince See Barristan/Dany that the turncloak was a ploy it would be better to help them directly in the battle rather than indirectly.

The World of Ice and Fire preview is free, and includes the Tyrion chapter.

Jorah's neck-stab on the Yunkish commander, locking the Windblown into switching back over to Dany, was pretty sweet.

Plumm and Jorah and the Windblown will certainly move to rescue the hostages, as Jorah suggests, to prove their loyalty to Dany.

I, for one, am not sold on the dragon piece falling to Tyrion's feet as a clear sign that he will ride a dragon. That seems too blunt and obvious. I think the fact that it fell, with blood stains in the grooves, is more significant. I would wager that it will serve to remind Tyrion of the blood-binding magic of the dragonbinding horn later on.

I think it's pretty much certain that Tyrion is going ride a dragon at this point. This chapter was great. And I agree, time to get rid of Penny. Maybe not have Tyrion kill her, but maybe have Viserion eat her instead, she's annoying.

Also, Ser Jorah the badass.

Archived