MLB 2014: Can't You Hear the Thunder?

Myshkin

I love the dodgers. The Blue of the uniform fills my insides.

1988 was the year I experienced a love and understanding with my father that terribly has only been equaled when we both dealt with the death of his wife, my mother.

Despite it all, the level of wealth, ability to sign anyone short of Christ and expectations of a world series appearance that has become the reality of the dodgers makes me feel unclean.

I really do miss how it used to be.

I don't want to be the west coast Yankees. I just want that scrappy pitching based team who won a championship on clutch hitting and solid pitching rather than just buying the best available.

This is all inspired by coming off as really creepy (unintentionally) by telling a Latina girl that 'I really love your hoodie' gazing at her dodgers fleece. I had no thoughts of leaving her dismembered in a dumpster though my appearance may have said otherwise.

Comment suggests you perhaps are unaware that Beltran was an Astro.

I know he played for them, I just seem to be missing your point.

Rangers are missing Cruz right now haha.

Ok so here we go again with the farewell tour and the gift giving. It was Chipper Jones who started this tradition and it seems like it's here to stay. What is the general consensus? Do we like this whole giving gifts away to retiring superstars?

Naaaaapoooooolllliiiiii!!!!!!!!!!

I think Chipper Jones, Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter are in a special category and deserve a long goodbye. I can't see anyone not in their class even attempting something like that. They played 19, 19, and 20 years for a single team while being pretty amazing players. So yeah, let them say goodbye to everyone, all season long.

I looked the other way with Rivera because he was A] not merely an all-time great/hall of famer to be but clearly the greatest of all time at his position B] the last guy who was ever going to get to wear 42. He's a particularly special case.

I guess I'm okay with it happening for great players but I'm not so sure it needs to be so thoroughly covered/that we the fans should be made too aware of it?

Maybe it's some lingering old-schoolness in me but even the all time greats are the competition until they finally take the uniform off and too warm a farewell comes off like too much friendliness to someone you're still competing against? Give the guy a parting gift but do it privately, not in a pre-game ceremony UNLESS the guy once played for the other team, too.

Now, if the home fans organically give a guy a standing round of applause in his final at-bat against their team (as many fan bases did for Chipper Jones) well that's fine too.

Well regardless of the publicness of the gift I don't think that it will alter how they play against them in the game. The other team will still want to win as much as ever regardless of the occasion.

Yeah I don't really doubt that, it just seems like a bit of a bad look? Like NBA games where guys on opposing teams are laughing and joking with each other during warmups and stuff.

I realize it's possible I'm being too old-school and curmudgeonly.

I respect the hell out of Kershaw but I don't want the Giants giving him a care package in 10 years, at least not where I can see it :) But, I mean, if a Sox fan is okay with even their team/organization giving fruit baskets to Yankee-lifers as parting gifts maybe I am overreacting. :)

Yeah I wouldn't get too worked up over it. I actually think the Red Sox's tribute to Rivera was pretty cool and a nice show of respect. The part where they played his blown save in game 3 of the 2004 ALCS wasn't bad either hehe!

Hate the season long fellating of the retiring superstar. It's farking ridiculous. I respect the hell out of Rivera, but it got really old, really fast. It was almost bearable with him, as he was still walking the walk last year. With Jeter, I fear it's going to be unbearable. Seems to me that he's already a year overdue for retirement.

Well, the Mets, after blowing three leads against Steven Strausberg's Nats, have blown another lead tonight and never came back (only three friggin' hits). I know they're not expected to do anything this season, but I feel like they have the talent to make some noise (at least in the NL East). Their bullpen is just atrocious, and add to the fact that the Mets only have two MLB hitters (Granderson and Wright). Their rotation is legit, and once Harvey comes back next year, could be among the best. It's so frustrating being a Met fan. At least the tickets are cheap.

Hate the season long fellating of the retiring superstar. It's farking ridiculous. I respect the hell out of Rivera, but it got really old, really fast. It was almost bearable with him, as he was still walking the walk last year. With Jeter, I fear it's going to be unbearable. Seems to me that he's already a year overdue for retirement.

Yup. I'm a Yanks fan and it got old with Mariano. YES network goes overboard with showing all that shit non-stop so that doesn't help matters. Game 2 and the Jeter tour has already started...oh well, there can be worse things we can bitch about.

Ahh, Tim Hudson turning back the clock tonight. 92 pitches through 7, only 3 hits allowed.

It's only the first start of the season of course, but that's very encouraging.

Get used to it - given his typical pattern he'll be rock steady all season provided he remains healthy. He's a very underrated pitcher and a superb guy to boot.

so, trisky, it is just that he is so big and strong and cannot control himself so he shoved a fan? huh? what? how? what?

face it, the world hates the red birds.

you are a good kid. i like you. just accept that the dodgers are your lords and masters. get that full back piece vin scully tattoo and get on with the reality, man.

get that full back piece vin scully tattoo and get on with the reality, man.

Seriously Trisky, how is it that you don't already have that tattoo?

Does my Jaime Jarrin bobblehead mean nothing?

It would count for more if I hadn't had to tell you who Jaime Jarrin is. As I recall you thought he was an accountant or something, and that his name was pronounced Jay-me Jar-in.

On the home front I've traded a Giants fan roommate for an Angels fan roommate, which is turning out to be far more annoying. I may loathe the Giants and their fans, but at least I can respect them. Not so with Angels fans. Thank you Mariners for shutting them all up for a few days.

Archived