MLB 2014: Can't You Hear the Thunder?

Myshkin

Twins get to .500 by taking two of three in Cleveland. Yay! Ten runs in one game...I could get used to that. New starters aren't working out so hot just yet...but Colabello is raking? So I'll take it. I am heading to the home opener tomorrow, as I have been crowing about for weeks. There is no snow in the forecast, so DOUBLE YAY!!

The beauty of this post is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Dodgers or Giants. How the hell did the Dodgers and Giants come to dominate the baseball threads? Damn it, Jed and Theo! Get the program moving! Bring on later this season when Baez, and maybe a couple others make it up! :p

Twins get to .500 by taking two of three in Cleveland. Yay! Ten runs in one game...I could get used to that. New starters aren't working out so hot just yet...but Colabello is raking? So I'll take it. I am heading to the home opener tomorrow, as I have been crowing about for weeks. There is no snow in the forecast, so DOUBLE YAY!!

How has Philip Hughes looked? And does anybody know if David Robertson is hurt? Shawn Kelly got the save against Baltimore today.

Anyone got suggestions on ways to learn more about the game? I know the rules and all and I have generations of Yankee hatin' in my blood, but I'd like to be able to evaluate whether a trade is good, or what my team needs, what's a management issue, that kind of thing.

Anyone got suggestions on ways to learn more about the game? I know the rules and all and I have generations of Yankee hatin' in my blood, but I'd like to be able to evaluate whether a trade is good, or what my team needs, what's a management issue, that kind of thing.

I'd advise you start watching MLB Network more often if you can. I've learned a lot of great stuff just by watching them.

My league took a while to get going, but the draft is finally going to be today. It's going to be a roto style and I've never played this way before. Any advice?

The beauty of this post is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Dodgers or Giants. How the hell did the Dodgers and Giants come to dominate the baseball threads? Damn it, Jed and Theo! Get the program moving! Bring on later this season when Baez, and maybe a couple others make it up! :P

Really, what this thread needs it to get at least one regularly-posting boarder who represents/roots for each of the 30 teams. That'd be fantastic.

ini, just watch baseball.

simple as that.

you will figure it out as you go along. also peruse the various baltimore blogs and forums out there. pick a couple you like and read them. hell, reach out to our old missing boy mack. he knows a thing or one hundred about the o's.

My league took a while to get going, but the draft is finally going to be today. It's going to be a roto style and I've never played this way before. Any advice?

In roto I like to go hitting heavy. I'm in a 12 team auction roto and my formula is to spend big on 3 stud hitters and grab a sure fire ace. Closers are way more important in roto too, get at least 3 of them who have more K's than innings if possible. Grab a guy who gets a lot of steals also.

Bad news recently for Pirates fans. Jameson Taillon is going to undergo Tommy Johns. It's not a big blow, as Taillon was only expected to make his debut this summer, but still disappointing. I have been waiting what seems like forever, or three years, to see both Cole and Taillon pitching together in the bigs. Looks like I got at least another year to wait.

For news and basic analysis, as well as links to articles on other sites, go to MLB Trade Rumors.

For advanced analysis, there's Fangraphs. Probably the best baseball website out there.

Also, Baseball Prospectus, though a lot of their good stuff is premium content that you have to pay to read. Including most of their section on transaction analysis.

And The Hardball Times. Especially the reference section linked there, which has a lot of good articles.

Thanks y'all.

ini, just watch baseball.

simple as that.

you will figure it out as you go along. also peruse the various baltimore blogs and forums out there. pick a couple you like and read them. hell, reach out to our old missing boy mack. he knows a thing or one hundred about the o's.

I've watched baseball since before I could walk, man. I'm looking for more than that.

Thanks y'all.

I've watched baseball since before I could walk, man. I'm looking for more than that.

Actually, seriously, I'd honestly recommend lurking around the Sports Argument Stadium subforum over on SA (since I recall you mentioning you have an account). I've found I really enjoy the level and tenor of baseball discussion over there and I actually feel like I understand the new-fangled post-sabermetrics better just from listening to them talk about it. They seem to be a generally inclusive lot, too.

Quite a few O's fans around there as well.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Rays' start so far. Yes, we sucked against Kansas today and our bats just stop firing once or twice a week, but the pitching looks as good (if not better) as it has in the past few seasons. Good season ahead hopefully.

Oh and I went to the season opener in Sydney; was kind of a weird atmosphere (foul balls getting massive rounds of applause), but I'm glad I shelled out the money for it. Unique experience (and it helped that Kershaw pitched so well)!

Twins looked... not so good today.

Stadium? Beer? Food? Looked awesome. Gorgeous blue skies, sunny, cool temps, pleasant skyline, sooooo much fun today with the beer and the outdoorsiness and the beersiness. It was too bad that my team lost, but I will survive (yet another) loss by my chosen team. :)

I know it's early, but I'm getting worried about the Red Sox's pitching. When you score 7 runs you shouldn't lose that game! Ironically enough with a 3-5 record the Sox are only one game back. It seems that the other teams in the east havnt been able to put it together all that well just either so far.

Oh cool.. are we doing a stadium ranking thing? Is this limited to only those we've visited in person? Because I could make a list of my own. But I don't want to spam the thread if someone thinks that it should be another thread altogether.

(For the record, I've attended games at 15 stadiums in 13 cities, and haven't had a chance to rate them yet.)

eta: Oh, and are we going to simply rank their quality on a gut-feeling level, or should we have actually assessment criteria and rubrics?

Archived