[TWOW Spoilers] NEW Chapter Discussion - "Mercy"

TeamMartell

and what's the significance of "The Bloody Hand"? Is this a reference to Ned or Tywin? It would seem to be in incredibly poor taste to reference Tywin in front of a Lannister envoy.

Pretty sure it's a reference to Tyrion, who was technically The Hand for a bit. Certainly Tyrion is the main antagonist of the play.

She says he's fair to Daena because she can't very well say "Oh, that guard, I recognize him as someone on my death list. BRB." It's completely for Daena's benefit.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." She's not likely to survive the series and even if she does she's damaged and it would be a cop out to give her a happy ending.

She still cares for people. It's shown in her being sorry about the fact that Mercy is over because she liked the mummers. She's damaged beyond repair but, if she survives, she still has a shot at happiness.

She's suppose to be twelve right? All the people disturbed by the sexuality (really a kiss and a grope is all that's performed) haven't met 12 year olds, when I was 12 15 years ago I knew other kids who were devirginized and doing much worse than her, compared to our society (minus the killing) she probably behind sexuality wise for an average kid her age. Just food for thought.

Amazing chapter go arya (come on winds! Come out soon I beg thee)

I think the issues are several. First, the chapter opens up with Arya waking up to be raped and murdered. It turns to be a theater play, but it sets a certain mood. Second, those modern 12 years old kids are going through puberty. Arya is not. I think she was getting taller in ADWD, but secondary sexual characteristics have yet to appear. And finally, the means to an end approach she takes to sex is disturbing. One thing is for a twelve years old teenager, going through puberty, to have sex with a peer because they like it. Another is a prepubescent girl taking such a pragmatical and cold approach to prostitution. She would probably be sucking Izembaro's dick if that ended working out for her, and liking it or not is not even a factor.

Now, I was thinking about the fact that only Arya mention that Mercy will be murdered. I think it's likely that Arya was given a mark and she's going to kill him/her after the play is over/the day is done. And she'll cover it up faking her own death.

Hopefully that will allow her to cover up Ralf's murder. I'm still hoping she can get away with it with no consequences (I know, I'm a fool)

Wonderful chapter! News from Bravos are always a great thing IMO. In Westeros they're still bashing heads, swapping one useless king with another and here they're already making plays about it.

I like how 'Mercy' isn't fond of needlework either. Seems like there's still more of Arya in her than you'd suspect ... plus she gets to remove another name from her prayer :D I wonder what consequenses this will have for her though. After all it's already her second murder (we know of) commited out of Arya-related motives in Bravos. Maybe she'll even have to leave the FM. Although I highly doubt it ...

Who is the Westerosi lord supposed to be?

All the talk of George's writing's "creepy" factor, is put so brilliantly in your face with this chapter, in the most uncomfortably graphic, and riveting of ways. But just yeah, finally Arya taking down Raff is so awesome, and in what is presumably the first chapter of her story in book 6! Man that just makes her story in The Winds of Winter that much more impossible to wait for. What a great treat this preview has been though. My own Arya bias aside, is this not the best chapter previewed so far?

I hope her POV's next chapter gives us a look at the actual play, it's probably hilarious.

The Theon chapter was better, but I'll give you second place :)

It's by far the best chapter. It's the only one so far where something actually happens.

What about exposing the Karstark plot & sending Massey to Braavos? Mega clues about the pink letter? OK there was no murder but lots of good stuff.

Will Arya's MO be to recreate the scenes that caused her to want to kill these people? Certainly seems that way so far.

Yeah. Psycho, much, Arya?

How much time has spent working out in her head the steps she would take with Raff to get the result of him asking to be carried like Lommy did? Hours and hours of time.

And what's up the underlined parts in the text, is their any meaning to it? Or is just it a way of showing the most interesting/witty/important stuff? I did distract me a little while reading, thinking why those parts where highlighted.

I think it means italics

This. Yes its to indicate italics.

and what's the significance of "The Bloody Hand"? Is this a reference to Ned or Tywin? It would seem to be in incredibly poor taste to reference Tywin in front of a Lannister envoy.

Its obviously a satire of what transpired in Westeros. Bobono is obviously Tyrion and Mercy is...omg. His lines tell us what the play is about. Also this spells it out:

“Maybe not, but look here, everyone says how clever he was, true? So maybe he figures the last place his sister would ever look for him would be in some mummer show, making fun of himself. So he does just that, to tweak her nose.”

This has got to be the most chilling Arya chapter to date. Its really disturbing. ITS AWESOME! :commie: It goes to show that Arya hasnt forgotten who she is, what she wants, and that she is willing to do whatever it takes to get revenge. Even go there. Yeah she totally went there. Thats...thats really something. Chills i tell ya...

Kid gloves are off.

Phario Forel? Heh...AHahahahhhhha! Let the crackpots commence!

Who is the Westerosi lord supposed to be?

Ser Harys Swyft, who I think was the Master of Coin in Cersei's disastrous Small Council, who was sent to Braavos to try to get the Iron Bank to reconsider denying the Iron Throne's credit.

Instead, he's hiring expensive courtesans and taking in a few shows.

Ser Harys Swyft, who I think was the Master of Coin in Cersei's disastrous Small Council, who was sent to Braavos to try to get the Iron Bank to reconsider denying the Iron Throne's credit.

Instead, he's hiring expensive courtesans and taking in a few shows.

Yeah, doesn't sound like Harys is going to be too successful on his mission.

Phario Forell is most probably Syrio's brother. It's way too similar.

How about all the dwarf-nose references? Some foreshadowing?

Oh, and how Tyrion is made of bones and blood and clay. Greyscale reference mayhaps.

The chapter was killer. Couldn't have loved it more!!

So, am I the only one completely excited about THE LIONESS QUEEN CERSEI 2.0 ?? SO glad she regained control and will terrorize everyone in KL for a little while longer. The Faith will not be sleeping well, the Tyrells will not be happy and I can't wait to read what she's gonna do about Aegon. She may even burn the whole town down! And she still strikes fear in the hearts of men all the way over in Braavos. She's back.

I'm super excited that Cersei is sticking around for a little while longer, I love her :D

What you said about her burning the whole city down... I can totally see it happening! I saw that scene in my head from the tv show version of the House of the Undying where Dany is in the throne room and everything is burned, it's raining ashes. I always assumed it would be her dragons causing the ashes, but D&D have insight knowledge of what GRRM has up his sleeve for us and how awesome would it be if Cersei indeed burns the whole city to the ground just as Aerys had wanted and this time Jaime is not around to stop it from happening. It would be like, King's Landing was always supposed to burn and Jaime Lannister stepped in the way of fate. Now his sister, Cersei Lannister, is correcting his mistake in a way by doing exactly the same thing Jaime had stopped Aerys from doing. And when Dany finally arrives in King's Landing there will be nothing to conquer, the whole city will be gone.

Its obviously a satire of what transpired in Westeros. Bobono is obviously Tyrion and Mercy is...omg. His lines tell us what the play is about. Also this spells it out:

Notice I didn't ask who Bobono and Mercy were supposed to be playing. I was asking if the name of the play was more a reference to the murdered Hands of the King. Considering Mercy only had 3 lines and the play goes as far back as Robert being gutted by a boar it doesn't seem to entirely concern Tyrion.

Archived