GRRM confirms: TWOW not done yet

Hagen of Tronje

...his massive rewrite of the entirety of Jon Snow's storyline, omitting a whole Tyrion subplot etc.

This is the first I'm hearing of this. Do we know anything about Jon's original storyline? And do we know anything more about Tyrion's planned meeting with the Shrouded Lord.

There's only going to be seven seasons

Apparently D&D said at the S4 premiere (Ie after the "Seven kingdoms, seven books, seven seasons" interview) that they are planning "at least seven" seasons. So it isn't completely set in stone yet. Seven is still the most likely scenario, but 8 or even 9 aren't technically out of the question yet.

Let GRRM write at the pace he works best at. Right now we have five books that are just treats to read and dig into and argue over. If he rushed his work and made mistakes or just flat out told a bad story, we'd never forgive him. Let HBO pass him. They will change the story at that point to get to a conclusion somewhat like GRRM's and I will watch it, but I'm sure I'll prefer walking with him to the end. And the TV watchers will be so over those of us who sniff that the books ended 40 times better than the TV show, and all will be right with the world.

The entire "The show will last 7 seasons" talk if obviously just marketing talk.
It's all like: "This season is the center-piece, you HAVE to watch it"

How can they know 3 seasons in advance that it's going to last 7 seasons?

As if they won't show an 8th season if the profits are heigh enough.

Everything that's being said about the show is marketing. As everything that's being said about any show and any movie is just always marketing only.

I'm sure if the show is still popular enough and making money for them at the time HBO will allow for an 8th season. At this point I still say it's too early to tell one way or another. The show itself has still not been officially picked up for a 5th season; though it seems very likely that it will be.

If they plan it in 7, it's going to be 7. because it means the pace of the story will go fast so the ending of the story, is in season 7.

Before season 6 even begins, if it's still their plan, they can't just change it.

As if they won't show an 8th season if the profits are heigh enough.

I suspect D&D will be more than ready to lay down and die after seven years of producing the massive production nightmare that is Game of Thrones. Or at least find something else to do with their lives. At that point, they will have spent over a decade of their lives doing Game of Thrones in some form or another, most of it working their behinds off. And that's D&D, not even their staff and cast.

If we get seven seasons out of them all, it will be a good thing.

Ser Tahu, on 29 Mar 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

This is the first I'm hearing of this. Do we know anything about Jon's original storyline? And do we know anything more about Tyrion's planned meeting with the Shrouded Lord.

Apparently D&D said at the S4 premiere (Ie after the "Seven kingdoms, seven books, seven seasons" interview) that they are planning "at least seven" seasons. So it isn't completely set in stone yet. Seven is still the most likely scenario, but 8 or even 9 aren't technically out of the question yet.

There is no way there are going to be 9 seasons, stop living in your imaginary head !

If they plan it in 7, it's going to be 7. because it means the pace of the story will go fast so the ending of the story, is in season 7.

Before season 6 even begins, if it's still their plan, they can't just change it.

In the end HBO has the final call and if the show is still making money, a 7th season will happen. I'm not saying this is a good thing, just that I've seen it happen before.

Seven seasons.

GRRM will make his deadline, I still feel a Christmas 14 release is in the works.

This book will be the last book that is difficult to write, but not near like the last two.

ADoS will be his easiest write simply because he knows how it ends and it's just tying up loose ends and finishing Arcs.

The only difficulty he will have is tying it off at seven.

Christmas 14? That's quite optimistic. I love it. The new chapters, and what GRRM said do make me optimistic too, although I'd say sometimes in 2015 is still the most potent scenario.

Christmas 14? That's quite optimistic. I love it. The new chapters, and what GRRM said do make me optimistic too, although I'd say sometimes in 2015 is still the most potent scenario.

I will be overjoyed if Martin announces a release date by Christmas time. Seems to me, early 2015 release date is the earliest we can hope for. (that means an announcement in late 2014. )

How can they know 3 seasons in advance that it's going to last 7 seasons?

Cost-benefit analysis. To get to 8 seasons requires a substantial and expensive series of contract renegotiations, on top of the show already becoming more expensive season-by-season. HBO may be judging that the show's popularity is peaking or close to it, and by the time we get to seven seasons (let alone eight) the audience will be clamouring for closure. To bring the show to an effective conclusion, HBO probably want the writers to start working towards an ending now, and that requires making a decision on length now, so they can plan effectively.

It's possible that HBO might change their minds later on, but almost everything we've heard (and 100% of what we've heard from HBO themselves, who have the final decision on this) has suggested that seven seasons is now the target they are aiming for and actively working towards.

It might be that HBO do something special with Season 7, move it around, split it in half and find the time to write and film a longer season, as they have form for doing that. We may even effectively end up with 80 episodes or something close to it through that method. But it'd still technically be seven seasons.

HBO executive Michael Lombardo is the one who seems to have brought up eight seasons in the recent EW interview (which dates from late last year), so I wouldn't say it's "100% of what we've heard from HBO themselves". a

Archived