I don't get Sansa's dislike for Tyrion

Panos Targaryen

lol, poor E Ro. Brah, I think you might be the Fredo of the Sansa fans too.

Guys, I think something getting lost in translation. I think E Ro's weird bulbous fetish is his (admittedly Fredo-like) way of saying "omg, I can't believe a thread asking why a captive isn't nicer to her captor exists. Let's give this thread the responses it deserves."

Is this the gist of your penis thing brah?

(btw, on the topic of weird purple bulbousness, it's a little suspect that Stannis only pulls it out for the undead women with her own weird sexual medical condition. Maybe we've found the Troika of weird ASOIAF penises)

I guess that makes you the Moe green of Sansa fans? Anyway, after you tried to tell me tyrions dick was purple because he used an arab strap all the time and I found out you were just trolling I put alot of thought into it, and I reached the realization of this whole Sansa hating tyrion thing. Honestly though, im not surprised people aren't accepting this right away, revolutionary ideas are often laughed at at first.

Oh god, seriously? :bang:

• Sansa has every reason to be distrustful or guarded towards the Lannisters. You know, the family who murdered her father, holding her hostage and abuse her regularly. Being nice a couple of times isn't going to break daily abuse that went her way
  • Tyrion not being a rapist isn't going to get him any respect. It is expected of him not to be a rapist (well it should be by fandoms standards). Sansa didn't rape Tyrion and I don't see any ribbons handed in her direction.
  • She doesn't have to kneel, not to anyone. Her thought process was pretty much 'he is going to rape me', it was sprung to her on the day. She's a Stark to the bone, she chooses who she kneels to.
  • Sansa can't afford to show Tyrion the slightest trust. It could be easily manipulated by Cersei and Joffrey. The Tyrells managed to do so in pinning the death of Joffrey on her and Tyrion.
  • Sansa doesn't hate Tyrion. She hates Joffrey and Cersei (and rightly so). She is guarded and is cautious (which is smart) yet nothing indicates outright hatred.

lol, poor E Ro. Brah, I think you might be the Fredo of the Sansa fans too.

Guys, I think something getting lost in translation. I think E Ro's weird bulbous fetish is his (admittedly Fredo-like) way of saying "omg, I can't believe a thread asking why a captive isn't nicer to her captor exists. Let's give this thread the responses it deserves."

First, :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ... You and E-Ro made my day...

And now to the core of the thread...

(btw, on the topic of weird purple bulbousness, it's a little suspect that Stannis only pulls it out for the undead women with her own weird sexual medical condition. Maybe we've found the Troika of weird ASOIAF penises)

READ WITH CAUTION:

I have just done the necessary research about this (I would show some photos, but alas, that would certainly make this post my last) and came to some groundbreaking findings that will completely change our perspective on Tyrion and his "Little Jon" Now, the lions have this short barbed penises between 4 and 6 inches, also their penises are thin, and mostly resemble our fingers. Therefore, I think we can exclude the correctness of Sansa's report of the matter and start doubting whether Tyrion is really who we are said he is. I mean, Tyrion being Targaryen had just got the crucial evidence. On the other hand we have wolves, who have bigger penises than lions, approximately between 7 and 9 inches plus the wolf penises are bulbous. And lastly we have stag penises which are long and thin (up to 9 inches), appropriate for such gentle and yet strong animal, and when not in erection it is curved in the shape of the letter S(tannis)

All of this data is very crucial to interpret the interactions between characters. For instance, Tyrion is jealous of Jon who is accepted by his family, but also desperately wants to help him. Not to mention that two such endowed men like Stannis and Jon had no problems of becoming besties... Ah, poor Tyrion...

Oh boy this again. Sansa doesn't dislike him, on the contrary she well aware he is relatively friendly to her and she is thankful for it. In her second last chapter of ASOS she thinks to herself he was kind. She simply doesn't trust him, because he is a lannister and despite his dislike for his family he is loyal to his family and because of that she is wary of him and rightly so.

This is exactly correct - she doesn't hate him for being a dwarf or a horrible person (although he is ugly) she hates him and repulses him because he is a lannister a man of the house that beheaded her father, beat her, killed her friends, murdered her mother and brother in cold blood… that is why she hates him and no other reason

Well, in this setting, how often are marriages - especially ones made by powerful houses - made for the purpose of love and anything we in the modern world think of when we say marriage. It wouldn't have been either of their first choice, but if they could have become friends, then they could have made their Westerosi marriage work. An ideal marriage involves a lot of things, but IMO even today, friendship is the base for the best of them and the forging of a partnership. I could see Tyrion and Sansa forming such a successful partnership given the right circumstances. Of course, being at war with your in-laws and having them murder your family is not such a circumstance.

So you're saying that you felt sad that Sansa and Tyrion didn't get to live their entire life in a half-misery of a loveless marriage and "lie back and think of the Seven Kingdoms" sex, which they could have if the circumstances have been "better", instead of just a few months in utter misery?

And anyway, if the circumstances have been different, they wouldn't have been married at all.

Well, in this setting, how often are marriages - especially ones made by powerful houses - made for the purpose of love and anything we in the modern world think of when we say marriage. It wouldn't have been either of their first choice, but if they could have become friends, then they could have made their Westerosi marriage work. An ideal marriage involves a lot of things, but IMO even today, friendship is the base for the best of them and the forging of a partnership. I could see Tyrion and Sansa forming such a successful partnership given the right circumstances. Of course, being at war with your in-laws and having them murder your family is not such a circumstance.

As others have pointed out, there is no circumstance under which this marriage would have taken place (or even been proposed) other than the scenario presented in the novel, one that included force and the threat of violence. Simply put, because he is not the heir to Casterly Rock nor was he ever going to be, Tyrion brings nothing of value to a potential union with a high born lady (or more accurately to her family). Honestly I don't see why you believe Sansa and Tyrion would have become friends, seeing as the two have nothing in common whatsoever and their entire relationship have been one form or another of jailer/warden and prisoner, including their current marriage whose primary objective beyond stealing her claim to Winterfell was preventing her escape to Highgarden. In addition, while Tyrion is an entertaining character, he is not a very likeable or good person (note that beyond certain relations and possibly Jon, the only people that we see that are friends with him are also on his payroll)...he may not be as mean as Joffrey or Cersei but he has the potential to be just as petty and vindictive. His kindness and niceness to her is nowhere close to approaching being selfless or magnanimous and always has been in service to furthering another agenda be it the protection of Jaime or getting her to finally "spread her legs". I find that most of the posts and threads advocating some sort of reconciliation between Tyrion and Sansa or that chide Sansa for not swooning over him seem to view her not as a person but as a reward that their favorite character deserves...the trophy wife for the downtrodden dwarf (which in itself is inaccurate because she would be bringing not only the good looks but also the only thing of value, Winterfell).

As others have pointed out, there is no circumstance under which this marriage would have taken place (or even been proposed) other than the scenario presented in the novel, one that included force and the threat of violence. Simply put, because he is not the heir to Casterly Rock nor was he ever going to be, Tyrion brings nothing of value to a potential union with a high born lady (or more accurately to her family).

It wouldn't have happened even if he were, for a bunch of reasons. First off, Ned distrusted and disliked the Lannisters. Secondly, I can't see him deciding to marry his teenage daughter to an ugly dwarf some 10 years older and famous for sleeping with prostitutes. Thirdly, I can't see Ned forcing Sansa into a marriage she is against, and Sansa certainly wouldn't want to marry Tyrion. A marriage to Joffrey seemed to be a good one on the surface, before one got to know Joffrey's personality - Ned's BFF and king Robert suggested a marriage of Ned's daughter to his son and heir to the throne, Joffrey was Sansa's age, he was good-looking and Sansa liked him at the time. But Robert wasn't going to propose a marriage of Ned's 11-year old daughter to his brother-in-law The Imp, and if Tywin had proposed such a thing as a part of some kind of peace/alliance deal, it wouldn't have been accepted well. If Joffrey had been unavailable, I'm sure that Tommen would have been proposed as a bridegroom.

We also know that Tyrion's chances of a highborn marriage were always low, because all the high lords saw it as an insult to propose a marriage to a dwarf and a "grotesque". Hoster Tully flat out refused Tyrion, even though Tyrion was likely to be the heir to CR as far as everyone knew, since Jaime had joined the KG. This is reflective of the prejudice towards disabled people in Westeros, but it's a fact of life in Westeros. So, if we are asked to accept arranged loveless marriages and the lack of sexual agency allowed to women as a fact of the life in Westeros, as a "part of their world", then we must also accept the ableist prejudice as a fact of life in Westeros and a part of their world. In no other scenario would anyone have been suggesting a marriage of Sansa and Tyrion, except as a part of a power grab/war of the Lannisters and the Starks. Tywin only had Tyrion marry Sansa because he had no other sons or grandsons who were free to marry her and physically able to consummate the marriage in any near future.

I find that most of the posts and threads advocating some sort of reconciliation between Tyrion and Sansa or that chide Sansa for not swooning over him seem to view her not as a person but as a reward that their favorite character deserves...the trophy wife for the downtrodden dwarf (which in itself is inaccurate because she would be bringing not only the good looks but also the only thing of value, Winterfell).

^ This.

OK, I understand her being physically repulsed by him and not wanting to have sex with him, but aside from that, why does she dislike and mistrust Tyrion so damn much? Throughout ACOK and ASOS she never seems to consider Tyrion as an ally, writing him off as just another Lannister who wants to harm her. During the wedding she refuses to kneel for him in order to humiliate him, all her thoughts about him consist of him being an ugly Lannister dwarf and nothing more, etc.

Considering that it is completely clear that Tyrion does not belong on the same category as Joffrey, why does Sansa see him this way?

He risked Joffrey's wrath and punishment when he chastised him for having Sansa beaten, which there's NO WAY he would have done if he was Joffrey's/Cersei's patsy, constantly bad mouths and mocks Joffrey and Cersei in front of Sansa, and offers Sansa protection multiple times. Plus, he actually used his authority as Hand of the King to end Sansa's beatings.

Yet she refuses to see that he in fact wants to help her, and that he hates Joffrey's and Cersei's guts as much as her. How can she believe all that when Tyrion is obviously trying to help her?

Hell, the way her POVs are written, she doesn't even seem to realize that Tyrion is actually risking his life to help her.

Short answer: she's a snob and a simpleton. His appearance + his name are enough for her to not trust or like him.

Short answer: she's a snob and a simpleton. His appearance + his name are enough for her to not trust or like him.

Indeed, what's up with no trusting a senior member of a house that has kept you as a captive and been waging war against your family, especially after you are forced to marry him? What a simpleton. Wise girls immediately trust and adore their captors if they're nice enough to not rape or beat them.

Indeed, I don't know why people call it "Stockholm Syndrome". Apparently, it's just wisdom.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were actually high while writing this.

We should not forget that at this point in the story, Sansa was suspicious of EVERYONE in King's Landing. The girl was severely traumatised by all that happened. I think it's perfectly understandle that she didn't trust a Lannister, even the nicest Lannister around.

Indeed, what's up with no trusting a senior member of a house that has kept you as a captive and been waging war against your family, especially after you are forced to marry him? What a simpleton. Wise girls immediately trust and adore their captors if they're nice enough to not rape or beat them.

Indeed, I don't know why people call it "Stockholm Syndrome". Apparently, it's just wisdom.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were actually high while writing this.

As far as I can tell, there are a lot of readers who think Sansa was fortunate to have Tirion as a husband (for the avoidance of doubt, I don't agree).

We should not forget that at this point in the story, Sansa was suspicious of EVERYONE in King's Landing. The girl was severely traumatised by all that happened. I think it's perfectly understandle that she didn't trust a Lannister, even the nicest Lannister around.

Ultimately she was right not to trust Tyrion because despite him being the nicest (adult) Lannister around, he too was working to ingratiate himself and draw her closer in order to serve and advance his own goals, not for her benefit. Prior to the wedding, he was nice and protected her because she was a pawn to be traded for Jaime. After the wedding, he was nice to her in order to gain her claim and her maidenhead with the most minimum amount of guilt on his part (i.e. I won't rape her...I will be the nice guy in order to cajole her into giving me what I really want).

Archived