[Spoilers] What's in a title?

Rhasgul

So as we all know every episode title has one or even more very straightforward meaning. On the other hand, we can also pretty much always notice some rather hidden meanings behind it. With a little room for interpretation there is lots more we can find out about an episode by it's title than you'd think at first glance.

Keeping in mind where all the storyarcs are at the moment, what could the title be referring to?

1. Jaime sending Brienne out with Oathkeeper to keep his oath to Catelyn.

2. Jon snow proves himself in a certain way on the wall, proving to be a true brother, able to command troops for the upcoming attack.

3. Daenerys stays true to her word of not harming any of the slaves inside Meereen and tries to take over the city with the least amount of unnecessary casualties (and fails miserably?).

4. I suspect some Petyr-Lysa-ish interpretation as well for some reason put can't put my finger on it

5. ... your thoughts?

If we see Craster's Keep in this episode it could somehow be referring to Rast and Karl and the others who did not keep their oaths

Even though Jon's raid to the keep is supposed to take place in the next ep. It would've been an awesome tie in for this one, with Jon going all out Ned on the deserters and having an Edd fetch me a block moment on Rast

Jaime giving Brienne Oathkeeper is pretty much a given, the 2nd? I think that Alliser Thorne will ride out to Crasters, there by leaving Jon to lead the defense of CB, but it seems to soon.

Theon Leading the Ironmen out of Moot Callin would also be a good conter to Oathkeeper, but IDT that happens.

I do believe there will be another meaning behind the title.

1. Jaime giving Oathkeeper to Brienne to keep her oath.

2. Tyrells and Lannisters keeping their oaths to each other by deciding to marry Margaery to Tommen?

3. NW deciding to go and punish the deserters at Craster's.

4. YAsha on her journey to save Theon (see oath from last season)?

I think clearly the title most directly relates to Jaime. A character who has been an oathbreaker is whole life finally transforms into an oathkeeper. I expect this episode to have a lot of huge character moments for Jaime. Although the title obviously has multiple meanings and can still be applied to other characters such as Jon, I think this will be an extremely Jaime centric episode and his arc will be this episodes through line.

^^ This.
Craster's keep, Jaime and Brienne... Yara's rescue attempt is a huge maybe, only cause we have yet to see any of the Greyjoys (except Reek/Theon) and I think that's for a reason. Maybe possibly waiting for the Dorne storyline to kind of die down for a moment (Oberyn's fall and the lull before the introduction to the rest of the Dornish kingdom).

I think you're looking too much into it. Option 1 is the most likely and obvious one here in my opinion.

If you watched E03: Breaker of Chains and thought it was just about Dany freeing slaves, then you're seriously missing out on the show, at least thematically. Most of the episodes since Season 3 have had multiple meanings as relates to the episode's content.

Yes the most obvious one to me is Jaimie giving Brienne Oathkeeper and sending her after Sansa

Did anybody notice the quick shot of Oathkeeper in it's 'sword stand'?

From what I saw that was the most ornate REALLY ornate Valyrian Steel Blade they have ever shown!

Did the others have all that , was it engraving work, on them?

My eyes going bad?

^ There's engraving the length of the blade. LOL, doesn't seem all that impressive to me, especially for the glitzy Lannisters, but then, what do I know about swords? Nada, that's what.

Speaking of which, is that a groove from the hilt to halfway down the blade? What's the purpose of that, any weapons-makers here?

http://imgur.com/wJHVTGO

^It's a blood channel. A nice little passage for the fluid (what Syrio called "water") to flow down.

Oh. Charming!

I wonder if there'll be any on-screen reaction from Tywin when Jaime gives this away. Lord LEGACY's legacy is crumbling away fast.

Did anybody notice the quick shot of Oathkeeper in it's 'sword stand'?

From what I saw that was the most ornate REALLY ornate Valyrian Steel Blade they have ever shown!

Did the others have all that , was it engraving work, on them?

My eyes going bad?

All the Valyrian steel swords on the show have that Damascus engraving. It's the way the show differentiates them from normal steel. Ice, Longclaw and Oathkeeper. I didn't notice if Widow's Wail had it too.

Edit: search 'Damascus sword' on Google images. That's what they're using to replicate the Valyrian sword ripples from the books.

Archived