[TV/Book Spoilers] PTV Unsullied Thread Part 8

Independent George

Hate to rain on everyone's parade but Andy Greenwald (the Unsullied critic on Grantland who has given this season high marks) had this to say about the (awkwardly characterized and disjointed) Tyrion/Jamie escape:

And sometimes a sprint just leaves you breathless. I was thrilled when Jaime came to rescue Tyrion, though I couldn’t help but wonder why he didn’t do this weeks ago. (Oberyn would still be writing love poems by the beach!) But even though Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance sold me on every emotion in the scenes that followed, they couldn’t manage to sell me on the timeline. From brotherly love to the thrill of escape to a crime of passion and cold-blooded patricide in just less than five minutes? That’s the sort of escalation usually reserved for anchorman melees. More problematic was the treatment of Shae. When last we saw her, she was damning her little lion from the witness stand. This was a betrayal but an understandable one. After all, Tyrion had hurt her in the worst way possible in order to get her to leave. (In our world, it’s called “Old Yellering” and it rarely works.) But for her to be lounging happily in Tywin’s bed was an emotional retcon of the worst order. She was a strong, sensible woman. She ran with the big cats; she wasn’t their prey. That she died doing whatever she could to survive is a popular irony in Westeros, but not a particularly new or insightful one. Saying sorry after the fact doesn’t make it any better, not for the killer and certainly not for his victim.

These are all fair criticisms that reflect the unnecessary, illogical and borderline irresponsible changes from book-to-show. This is what happens when you adapt a series of discrete events without retaining the continuity of emotional reasoning.

I don't know about you guys but I'm done with this show, and done with reading Unsullied content. It's all just too frustrating. I guess I'll just spend the rest of my life's allotment of leisure time re-watching the Wire while wishing the ending to True Detective didn't suck. Oh, right, maybe tWoW will be released sometime this decade too, so maybe I'll have something to read.

Holy fuck. They actually don't realize Rickon still exists.

Dammit guys HE'S NOT THE YOUNGEST AND ARYA ISN'T HIS LITTLE SISTER. His youngest sister yes but not "little sister."

And WTF at the extremely broken forums right now. I couldn't even put my post AFTER the quotes because it put quote boxes around EVERYTHING.

1. Lord Reed's: one of two dying for the sake of the youngest child of his overlord Ned Stark.

2. I feel like Bran - as the youngest son of Eddard Stark - would have been nothing amazeballs, maybe a mediocre fighter at best, probably more of a mediator since he seemed to be a rather weak, skinny child in many ways when first we m et him. He wasn't particularly adept at swinging a sword and IIRC, his little sister, Arya, kicked his ass when it came to the art of swordsmanship.

Holy fuck. They actually don't realize Rickon still exists.

Dammit guys HE'S NOT THE YOUNGEST AND ARYA ISN'T HIS LITTLE SISTER. His youngest sister yes but not "little sister."

And WTF at the extremely broken forums right now. I couldn't even put my post AFTER the quotes because it put quote boxes around EVERYTHING.

Inventing characteristics, I see. That person is clearly not the most attentive, as Bran was only seen trying to shoot an arrow. He never got a chance to be shown sword fighting. Although I must give them a pass for not realizing Arya is older than Bran. Maisie definitely does not look older than Isaac. And Arya has had qualities more associated with immaturity in the past. Bran has generally been more brooding/subdued. Due to being crippled in the first episode, ya know.

Hate to rain on everyone's parade but Andy Greenwald (the Unsullied critic on Grantland who has given this season high marks) had this to say about the (awkwardly characterized and disjointed) Tyrion/Jamie escape:

Ah, wow, I was worried about this. It's like they made Shae a new character, then completely reverted to her book persona for the Trial and the Bed, as if Tv!Shae never existed. Yes, she grabbed the dagger but that didn't make sense to me, either.

Those guys can be more attentive than me. From the PTV Unsullied episode thread:

Also for some epic lulz, I decided to review her titles

the Unburnt -> Ok, I guess this is fine

Queen of Meereen -> Ok. Can you be a queen of both Meereen and Westeros though?

Queen of the Andals and Rhoynar and First Men. -> Excepting Barristan, where are all the Andals and First Men? Also what's Rhoynar.

Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea -> We're not in the Great Grass Sea, and where are all the Dothraki?

Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons -> After the last episode, I don't see how she has the right to call herself these any more..

Did the Rhoynar got mentioned? I can't believe I missed that!

Yeah, it was added into Dany's titles suddenly, after the show omitting it from everything for four seasons.

I think it's been established that Dany pays Missandei by the word so you can see why she's becoming more creative in announcing titles. It's part of her character development.

No real comment from the PTV unsullied about the motiviations for the Tywin death scene. I felt it lacked any real motivation to the level where Tyrion would shoot Tywin.

No appreciation, and some definite scathing about the skeleton army. Cheesy and overdone. Oh how I wish it was a handful of ordinary zombies and that they were not close to their destination, and Coldhands turned up to save the day and take them the rest of the way next season.

Maybe Coldhands is Benjen, so they excluded him from the show because it would have been a serious book spoiler.

I think it's been established that Dany pays Missandei by the word so you can see why she's becoming more creative in announcing titles. It's part of her character development.

:lmao:

In other news, I really love that they enjoyed the Jon / Stannis / Mance dynamic and Tormund quotes !

In general the unsullied (not just PTV) prefer action to inaction regardless of the character of the person doing the action. hencewhy Stannis is suddenly cool even though he's the same dude that D&D were ruining for the past 2 seasons.

Have we ever heard anything else about the Reeds' parents? I ask because they were supposed to be noble, but I have no idea how. They look like beggars to me. Plus, if they are noble, how is it that they know so much about living in the wild, and hunting and such? Plus, if they are noble, why hasn't anybody asked about them? Don't they have a family that cares? A castle to tend? Something?

I know that feel bro.

A certain user making me proud:

But Varys is a power player and they are both highly recognizable. I'm not sure that Dany would accept Varys or Tyrion, but Varys has ties to Ilyrio -- where Viserys and Dany were staying when we first met them -- so he might actually come with a recommendation.

Did any of them at all catch that Varys and Ilyrio were overheard scheming next to the dragon skulls by Arya in something like S1E2 or so plotting to return Viserys to the throne?

It's kind of a weird scene, and they're clearly thinking of killing Ned and seem to be implying they had something to do with killing Jon Arryn, which we know isn't true, but it puts Varys firmly on Team Dany in show world.

Some comments:

I really hate khaleesi for what she did to the dragons. LOCKED THEM IN DARKNESS THE BITCH FUCK HER!!!!!

Why the hack I'm starting to dislike Daenerys?!She was supposed to be cool.She was COOL,I mean hot (Targaryen/dragon-ish thing).
Those who she freed yearn to get back in chains; those who she called children are chained by herself. What a failure she is.
Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men. Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons. Phd, MD, Honorary Dame Commander , Order of Canada, Queen of Rock and Roll.
umb fucking bitch. They are DRAGONS, what does she expect will happen? Shes locking them away after one death, when they reach the size of the Old Dragons whats she gonna do?

I would have simply said "Sucks to be you". Put a warning around the area where Drogon lives. Dragons wont grow large in captivity. She needs to understand they are wild animals with large potential, and some draw backs.

Dumb bitch my gawd. Its just 1 little farm girl, hell id feed that other shepard to the other 2.

I am not liking the queen that Daenarys is becoming. At first, she was just and good, now it seems like she is spiteful and full of hate. Those hateful emotions make you make bad decisions. I think getting rid of Jorah was one of them. If he was really betraying her, he would still be giving information to King's Landing, he wouldn't be at her side, and he wouldn't of killed for her, etc. I don't like the person she is becoming.

I love the acting of Emilia here. it's different from the other episodes. still love daenerys, FOREVER! >.<

^ I really don't get the Dany hate that this episode is generating :laugh:

What else could she have done with the dragons?

It was the same for book readers IIRC, although not quite to the same extent.

It's very worrying that these people would prefer Dany just let her dragons roam free to kill whomever than to try and save the lives of innocents... even though her quest to protect the lives of innocents is one of the reasons she's so popular in the first place!

^ I really don't get the Dany hate that this episode is generating :laugh:

What else could she have done with the dragons?

TV show human lives are not the same as real life human lives... So it's easier to be on the more 'utilitarian' side of the dilemma (protect your own people or have cool weapons aka firebreathing lizards). It's easy to make the call in front of your TV when you know that those dragons can help her later on in the war which you want and know is coming since it's a book and every story needs its climax. It's a lot harder to do that in Danys point of view since she doesn't know she's in a story and the lifes are real and the future is uncertain. And those viewers seem to lack that sort of empathy even if they possess it in real life. Showing the horrors and how hard such decisions are is a major point of GRRMs writing after all, but it does get lost in a TV show, bureaucracy is boring after all..

(but I like those parts)

There are however way too many reactions nowadays so I like this thread for giving me a good sample :D

Archived