Why people drink?

Nami

Ok, I understand why they would. There are many excuses.

You are shy, you are sad, you are angry, you want to relax, you want to socialize etc etc.

I don't have good experiences with drunk people. They always end up angry and agressive or just crying their eyes out all over me. I don't see the point on start to drink to feel better and then feel even worse than before!

I have problems and I don't go drown myself in alcohol. I just try to handle my issues in other ways without dragging everyone else around me into my own misery

That's because you are a healthy human being.

I drink when I want to loosen my social anxiety and dance or be with strangers. But I also don't drink in bars. I'm with a group of friends and we usually play video games or watch B-rated movies.

I only drink to get over my anxiety and dance, ect when I'm at conventions, like ACen.

I don't have good experiences with drunk people. They always end up angry and agressive or just crying their eyes out all over me.

Some people are like that, that's why you've got to learn which ones are and avoid drinking with them. I'm a happy drunk myself, and try to stay around other happy drunks when I know there's going to be drinking going on.

I don't drink to get drunk very often anymore. I'll have a couple of beers because I enjoy the taste and a nice buzz helps me relax. Being drunk with your friends can also be fun as hell, provided none of them are angry or depressed drunks.

I like booze. That's why I drink.

Some people are like that, that's why you've got to learn which ones are and avoid drinking with them. I'm a happy drunk myself, and try to stay around other happy drunks when I know there's going to be drinking going on.

I don't drink to get drunk very often anymore. I'll have a couple of beers because I enjoy the taste and a nice buzz helps me relax. Being drunk with your friends can also be fun as hell, provided none of them are angry or depressed drunks.

I second this, but replace a few beers with anything but beer. LOL

Seriously though I really like a wine with dinner or a few drinks with mates. And I think it's just inbuilt in me that social drinking is fine (something about my aussie way of being) however this society norm of drinking can also be very damaging as some people take it too far and others just can't handle it.

Its purely an individual thing and if you don't like drinking or being around drunk people isn't as simple as don't?

Well, I can't tell you why people drink but I can tell you many reasons why I don't drink.

I don't stand the idea of making myself an idiot under any circunstance

I like to ALWAYS be in total control of my senses, specially when I have problems.

My father had diabetes and my brother also has it. He won't stop drinking despite that.

I don't like the taste.

I don't think there is a need to be inebriated in order to enjoy anything.

Also, drinking tea, sodas or juices is cheaper.

This is me basically, a few drinks for a buzz, but I've never gotten drunk enough to end up hungover. Unfortunately I can't avoid depressed drunks as my brother is one and whenever I drink he's usually around.

I like the socializing aspect of having a drink with friends, but I'm not adverse to pouring a glass of wine to relax, soak in the jacuzzi, and read a good book. Also, red wine and dark chocolate dipped strawberries are usually something my honey and I enjoy on special occasions (Valentine's Day, birthdays, our anniversary, etc.). It can be a nice aphrodisiac. I only drink something if I like the taste of it. I won't buy cheap booze to get hammered. I like a little buzz. I also don't mind a certain herbal method of relaxing. Nobody ever presents to the emergency room because they've smoked too much marijuana, but patients having to be intubated due to alcohol poisoning is an unfortunate lesson for some people.

I understand that some people can't just have one or two drinks and the long term effects of this are devastating (I see this at work!). I never did the underage drinking thing (legal drinking age is 19 here), and neither did my closest friends. We never saw the point of hanging with the binge drinking crowd. These days, I think that high school students should have to visit a hemodialysis clinic to see what they're setting themselves up for if they binge drink weekly .

asians dont have both alcohol dehydrogenase genes and have problem metabolizing alcohol so drinking. ...yeah,...

Besides common, don't be so moralist about drinking.

you should be reading little prince not ASOIAF....

Funny how you associate drinking with maturity

I don't drink often and when I do, I don't get drunk. The only drinks I actually drink are ones that I like the taste (they tend to be cocktails or wine), but I usually prefer a non-alcoholic drink instead.

Alcoholism tore my family apart and led to my dad's early demise at the age of 54, so I have seen what happens when people can't control themselves...the very reason I will never let myself get 'out of control' with it, so to speak.

Funny how you associate drinking with maturity

I think StarkSailorman accused you of being a moralist...

Why people grammar?

:bowdown:

I don't drink often and when I do, I don't get drunk. The only drinks I actually drink are ones that I like the taste (they tend to be cocktails or wine), but I usually prefer a non-alcoholic drink instead.

Alcoholism tore my family apart and led to my dad's early demise at the age of 54, so I have seen what happens when people can't control themselves...the very reason I will never let myself get 'out of control' with it, so to speak.

I'm sorry to hear that. You've taken a wise approach to preventing yourself from going down the same path.

hey easy on the accusing but I just think if you dont like drinking, just be quiet about it.

don't go around preaching how drinking is this or that. or making accusations that you "dont need" this or that....

I can accept some people have problems with drinking but others make good use of it and are able to appreciate a good wine or beer just like good food.

have a laugh with friends.... if you never had im sorry for you.

hey easy on the accusing but I just think if you dont like drinking, just be quiet about it.

don't go around preaching how drinking is this or that. or making accusations that you "dont need" this or that....

I can accept some people have problems with drinking but others make good use of it and are able to appreciate a good wine or beer just like good food.

This.

I don't depend on drinking to have fun. If you do, good for you

I was talking about people that get agressive or depressed, not "nice drinkers", which are rare to find IMHO.

I used to wonder the same thing myself... but then I went to college and turned 21 :P

No, I kid. I am also afraid of completely losing control of myself, but I have never reached that level of intoxication and never plan to. I drink mostly socially aside from the occasional glass of wine with dinner, and it can be a lot of fun to be hanging out with people you know and trust when you're all a little buzzed.

There's also a sort of cultural aspect to drinking where I live. I live in a rowdy college town that's often ranked the #1 party school (ETA: in the US), so heavy drinking is ubiquitous. That's not exactly what I would call a good thing, but there sometimes does seem to be an attitude that hard partying and getting wasted is good, and it can feel like peer pressure to drink.

I think it's a completely personal decision. There's nothing wrong with enjoying some drinks (as long as you are responsible about it--don't drive, try not to black out, etc) or choosing to abstain from drinking.

Archived