Emilia Clarke's range

Pretty much..Same goes for Kit Harrington

While I agree with the majority here and find utter disgust of Emilia's performance in this episode and a few ones back as well, I must disagree with Kit Harrington having equally bad delivery. He's better then okay, just not spectacular unless the material is right.

While I agree with the majority here and find utter disgust of Emilia's performance in this episode and a few ones back as well, I must disagree with Kit Harrington having equally bad delivery. He's better then okay, just not spectacular unless the material is right.

I would say that his speech for the mission to Craster's was pretty spectacular. Not overdone at all and hit the perfect tone.

Sodding board swallowed my post, here's me trying to remember

This is my first TV season after finishing the books (I read them before Season 3 and 4). I can say that Danaerys went from my favorite character (on screen) to my least favorite (on screen). I don't mind her book character but the TV show character is just so rude and snappy compared to the book character, merely a young girl.

Bear in mind in the books, you have the benefit of Dany's thoughts, you see all the doubts etc she has. In the show that is harder to convey, if the writers/directors have chosen to at all.And regardless of what you think of her, Dany in the books is hardly a young girl by the Meereen chapters. It's the tragedy of her character, that such a noble act, has such unproductive and dangerous results.

Speaking as a female viewer who is not really that interested in a pair of breasts, I can say that it really doesn't bother me nor does it feel insulting to my intelligence.

I know many other female viewers who feel the same way.

We'll have to agree to disagree in this one then.

This is HBO. People watch for some skin.

As I said: insulting the viewers intelligence.

LOL. Your intelligence may be insulted but for most a bit of titillation adds to the show. Deadwood was one of the best written shows ever on TV but it likely would have ended sooner if a large part of the storyline did not center on whorehouses. Sex is a primary genetic drive for mammals and you are a mammal as are all the other viewers.

Sodding board swallowed my post, here's me trying to remember

Bear in mind in the books, you have the benefit of Dany's thoughts, you see all the doubts etc she has. In the show that is harder to convey, if the writers/directors have chosen to at all.And regardless of what you think of her, Dany in the books is hardly a young girl by the Meereen chapters. It's the tragedy of her character, that such a noble act, has such unproductive and dangerous results.

We'll have to agree to disagree in this one then.

As I said: insulting the viewers intelligence.

It's only 'insulting to one's intelligence' if you start with the belief that nudity has no place in the story except to attract attention.

If you don't start with that belief, then it's not insulting at all.

I would say that his speech for the mission to Craster's was pretty spectacular. Not overdone at all and hit the perfect tone.

I think Kit Harington has really improved this season. I wish I could say the same for Emilia.

That was one of his best scenes. That said, Kit is certainly not a good actor. Season 2 and 3 proved that. But I think he's passable. Maybe now he's better because he's older and more experienced.

Epsiode 5 Mereen Scene: I thought everybody in the scene seemed off, so I think the director is to blame.

o Dany really did seem like she had been spending some time with Prince Valium

o The best Daario can do is, "I heard you liked ships" -- and why was that even a conversation? Newsflash, Dany: you just took over a city, part of that means taking control of its military, and part of that is it's navy.

o Barristan thinking attacking King's Landing with 10K foreign troops is a good idea?

o Jorah just being wishy-washy.

Seriously, that was one of the least effective council meetings I've every watched.

I think Harrington is about as good as the material he gets. In season 2 and much of season 3 his material was pretty crap, so that was a problem.

Yeah, I think that's fairly accurate. Season 2 is especially bad. Jon has one of the weaker storylines in Clash to begin with, which isn't an inherently bad thing, but a good chunk of the alterations made it significantly weaker. It's also worth noting that Jon, as a character, isn't meant to be particularly expressive and he's a fairly passive character for a good chunk of the story which do contribute. Kit's not a terrible actor, but he also wasn't stellar enough to deal with some of the weaker material he's given.

It would have to be both, right? It's clear the show sees her as Targaryen Jesus and I'm coming to the realization that my personal negative view of Ms. Targaryen may not be shared by GRRM and she may end up the savior figure afterall...so, if they're vested in this view of her, they are more likely to be okay with the Regal All The Time personna. Otherwise, they would give her different direction.

A better actress would probably be able to imbue those scenes with more depth without different direction. I'm always amazed at how Dance kills Tywin and hasn't read the books, yet he still evokes that arrogance and ruthlessness without making him a one note villian perfectly.

It's definitley not shared by GRRM, see the 2:18 mark of this video.

Actors can only do so much with the material they're given. Other than her season 1 material and some material from last season, they haven't exactly been giving Emilia the strongest material or many scenes to work with. They also have a habit of giving her some of the dumbest lines (e.g., "Yes, all men must die. But we are not men.") and over-the-top scenes in the series (e.g., the Yunkai slaves lifting her into the air) that would have been drastically improved if they had just stuck to the source material and not tried to Hollywood-ize it.

I think she's doing fine with what they're giving her. When they actually give her good material, she really excels. When they don't, she does decently enough.

Ah, a topic of professional actors who discussing other actors performance,right!

Your argument makes no sense.

As an actor, your job is to play a role convincingly and show the audience she is Dany. Emilia clearly did not play the role of Dany convincingly last episode, as we, the audience are her judge.

Ah, a topic of professional actors who discussing other actors performance,right!

This is the worst argument ever, I dont see why people always use it, it makes no sense.

By your logic I have to be a professional baseball player to see that a guy missed every swing he took...

Your argument makes no sense.

As an actor, your job is to play a role convincingly and show the audience she is Dany. Emilia clearly did not play the role of Dany convincingly last episode, as we, the audience are her judge.

Sure, everyone may have an opinion, but SOME remarks,from some posters,implied facts and not a belief or subj. opinion.

And I agree, with your last remark.

Sure, everyone may have an opinion, but SOME remarks,from some posters,implied facts and not a belief or subj. opinion.

That's why our brains have the ability to detect when someone is displaying their own opinion. It's unnecessary to begin every statement with "in my opinion." It should be implied.

Archived