Emilia Clarke's range

So are Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner, and they nail every scene they're in.

Maisie Williams was, what, 14 years old and had been acting for barely a year when she held her own (and then some) opposite Charles Dance.

Maisie and Sophie are more naturally gifted. They were brilliant finds.

Certainly, Dany's putting on the face expected of her, but a better actress could convey more of what was going on underneath, or show the effects of having to wear a mask so much. Take, for example, Kevin McKidd in Rome. His character is a legionnaire who's outwardly cold and traditional, but there are small moments throughout S1 where he shows more passion and tightly-bound emotions. Therefore, when he apocalyptically loses his shit in the season finale, it feels awesomely believable.

I honestly don't like Dany's storyline past GoT (it's getting better for me in ADwD, though)... but...that being said, I think Emilia Clarke has taken way too much heat for her portrayal of Dany.

I think people really need to lay some blame at the writers/directors here. For example, when she tried to pull off her regal voice this episode (and failed miserably) -- why didn't the directors say, "Hey, I see what you're trying, but remember, Dany's a young girl and still learning -- don't try to sound like Queen Elizabeth. It's inauthentic."

Did they not hear what we all heard? Of course they did -- why didn't they make her re-shoot it? Because they clearly LIKED it.

So... who, ultimately, is to blame? The young actress trying, or the people who are putting out sub-par performances w/o having them fixed?

They could do as much reshooting as they want but if she can't deliver the lines then they've got to take what they've got.

Ian Glenn just completely out-acted Emilia in this scene with his single look of "No we don't have enough to take Westeros but I'm going to have to say maybe to please you". That one look had more feeling and emotion in it that all of Emilia's acting this season.

They could do as much reshooting as they want but if she can't deliver the lines then they've got to take what they've got.

Ian Glenn just completely out-acted Emilia in this scene with his single look of "No we don't have enough to take Westeros but I'm going to have to say maybe to please you". That one look had more feeling and emotion in it that all of Emilia's acting this season.

I disagree - when you're putting out a poor product, you find a way around it -- change the lines, if you must. Pan the camera elsewhere. Whatever. (Obviously, I'm not a director lol).

Regardless, when the same complaints are voiced (loudly) over and over (and over!) again -- and you keep putting it out there, you are to blame. This isn't one movie, it's 10 episodes a year... meaning they have 10 eps a year to improve/alter/work around in order to find the best way to have Emilia portray Dany.

Her regal voice being a prime example of when a director should MAKE SURE she tones it down. Clearly, they liked it so they kept it.

Ultimately, D&D are responsible for what we see.

ETA: Agree 100% about Ian Glenn.

I disagree - when you're putting out a poor product, you find a way around it -- change the lines, if you must. Pan the camera elsewhere. Whatever. (Obviously, I'm not a director lol).

Regardless, when the same complaints are voiced (loudly) over and over (and over!) again -- and you keep putting it out there, you are to blame. This isn't one movie, it's 10 episodes a year... meaning they have 10 eps a year to improve/alter/work around in order to find the best way to have Emilia portray Dany.

Her regal voice being a prime example of when a director should MAKE SURE she tones it down. Clearly, they liked it so they kept it.

Ultimately, D&D are responsible for what we see.

I agree. I do think that better direction for her is needed, because she is capable of doing better, she's really regressed this season, and last night was off the charts, almost into Conan the Barbarian bad camp. She can be believable, because she has been bettter in the past.

However, you are correct that D&D are putting it out there so they must approve of it.

I agree. I do think that better direction for her is needed, because she is capable of doing better, she's really regressed this season, and last night was off the charts, almost into Conan the Barbarian bad camp. She can be believable, because she has been bettter in the past.

However, you are correct that D&D are putting it out there so they must approve of it.

:-) Funny thing is, I'm not even a fan of her storyline, so I don't care too much -- it works ok for me.

But, like you just said, she can do better, we've seen it. I mean, even the greatest actors/actresses of our time say how important it is to have great direction -- getting guidance towards what they're (the showrunners) looking for is everything. And that's not on her, it's on them.

Sometimes it is the direction...but I think you only notice it with actors who aren't that good.

You would never think Charles Dance can't act, no matter what kind of direction he got. But, actors who aren't very talented are more dependent on good direction, with poor direction their flaws are much more noticeable.

Not really a fair comparison, Dance has been acting longer than Emilia Clarke has been alive.

I must have watched an entirely different episode because I thought it was one of her best performances. Yes she does use this regal tone at times but in this episode she was smiling at Jorah and very warm demeanour and the line "it appears my liberation of slavers bay hasn't gone quiet as planned" I took as being self deprecating. I understand how people feel about her character but we don't have Daenerys inner thoughts like we had in the books to show us her self doubt and good intentions it fleshes out her more pompous comments. Emilia Clarke is great at portraying Dany on the show in my view.

Not really a fair comparison, Dance has been acting longer than Emilia Clarke has been alive.

Sophie Turner is a much better actress than she is, if she can only be compared to people who are young. LOL. I don't remember Bette Davis sucked when she was young. I don't think it's an age thing, its' a talent thing.

Sophie Turner is a much better actress than she is, if she can only be compared to people who are young. LOL. I don't remember Bette Davis sucked when she was young. I don't think it's an age thing, its' a talent thing.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't get all the fuss over Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams otoh is brilliant.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't get all the fuss over Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams otoh is brilliant.

I guess everyone has their preferences. I think Sophie Turner is a better actress than Maisie also, but they're both better than Emilia. She and the woman who plays Shae are hands down the weakest acting links/

I guess everyone has their preferences. I think Sophie Turner is a better actress than Maisie also, but they're both better than Emilia. She and the woman who plays Shae are hands down the weakest acting links/

IMHO the only bad actor on the show is the actress that plays Shae. Nina Gold did a brilliant job casting this show. And when proven actors aren't as good as they usually are (Aidan Gillen, Ciaran Hinds for example) I wonder if the problem is more the writing and direction.

Agree. Sophie has done better with each season but Maisie is absolutely amazing. I don't think you can compare the two.

It's difficult to see these criticism of Emilia being a bad actress the entirety of the series when you have scenes like Dracarys, which must be one of the best in the entire series. She was excellent in season 1 (along with mostly everyone else) because the writing and directing was much better.

IMHO the only bad actor on the show is the actress that plays Shae. Nina Gold did a brilliant job casting this show. And when proven actors aren't as good as they usually are (Aidan Gillen, Ciaran Hinds for example) I wonder if the problem is more the writing and direction.

Kit Harrington is kind of dodgy as well, but he's improved this year, where to me Emilia has gotten totally stiff and regressed to her season 2 form.

I have no answer for WTF goes with Gillen, though the batman voice seems to have been toned down the last two episodes.

Hinds wasn't 'bad' he just wasn't Mance...and that is definitely direction.

Emilia's performance in past scenes/seasons made me appreciate Dany more than I had appreciated her in the books. I think the highlight was last season's Dracarys scene, though it could have also been the brilliant music accompanying that scene. I do agree that she's becoming a bit of a one trick pony, but that could also be due to the writing and Dany's situation in general. I only began liking Dany at the end of book five when she's all alone in the middle of nowhere . Book 5 made her seem more human, and her trek (back to civilization I presume) showed that she has endurance and courage. I'm willing to give the actress a chance and look forward to seeing what she can do when given better material.

I found it amusing how Emilia turned away from Jorah rather stiffly, said one sentence of dialogue, turned back round stiffly, said another line, and then turned stiffly back for the closing moment.

As an actor, i found her choice of movement very theatrical.

Kit Harrington is kind of dodgy as well, but he's improved this year, where to me Emilia has gotten totally stiff and regressed to her season 2 form.

I have no answer for WTF goes with Gillen, though the batman voice seems to have been toned down the last two episodes.

Hinds wasn't 'bad' he just wasn't Mance...and that is definitely direction.

That was the fault of the writing though, S2 was not kind to Dany's storyline. I mean stealing her dragons ffs, c'mon. But we will just have to agree to disagree on Emilia, I think she's fine, not great, but no where near as bad as some suggest.

Eh, Aiden plays a good Petyr. Not sure why people complain about him.

Aiden's Petyr, be it acting decision, writing or direction, is far to blatantly evil. Littlefinger works in the books because he seems trustworthy, people trust him to do things, like run the finances, broker the Tyrell match etc. They underestimate him, and he rarely reveals his hand. But from S2 onwards it seems to me and increasingly moreso, Littlefinger might as well be wearing a flashing neon sign, declaring him to be a self-centred asshole.

Oh, and show tits every once in awhile.

Whilst not defending her acting at all, I take issue with this statement. Emilia Clark is one of the few actresses to stand up to D&D about the ridiculous and gratuitous use of female nudity on this show. She's refused to appear in breast baring scenes. I can't remember when this decision came into force, but it was clearly after season 1.

I think people are confusing Daenerys' acting for Emilia's.... Dany IS acting, she's playing a role, it's obvious that she is. Where Emilia works is in the eyes. I can call out several GOT actors I'd consider below par, but Emilia isn't one of them.

So basically, Dany is a low-functioning sociopath and Emilia Clarke is a brilliant actress?

If Emilia is playing a bad actress then she's doing a hell of a job, because every scene she's in in absolutely horrible. I would need some sort of justification before accepting the idea that Dany never let's her guard down and is always "playing" whatever emotions she is "exhibiting". It's one thing when she's trying to appear strong for her people or to an enemy, but it makes little sense for her to do it behind closed doors.

Archived