Emilia Clarke's range

It's basically everyone's fault - but Tywin can say really cool lines and not sound like he's reading a script at a school play.

From this episode I was hoping for a frank discussion between Jorah and Dany. Ian had some great conflicted acting before everyone else left the room but it's all overwhelmed by Emilia's "cool trailer lines". She should've been more sincere and emotional, and tender seeking advice from her closest friend.

Daario wasn't there and neither was Grey Worm - she didn't have to go all bitch dragon queen on Jorah. Probably Emilia and the writers/directors are at fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3POYx6IeeI

You can;t blame the director, because she's been sucking through 3 seasons with all the different directors. You can't blame the script, because her delivery is the same no matter what words she's speaking, and what the emotional resonance of the scene. Even when she saw a crucified child, her face held the same expression it does when she's looking at her CGI dragons.

An actor gives resonance to the lines, even bad lines, with delivery, with tone, with facial nuance, with feeling behind the eyes... Emilia gives nothing.

Actually I take the bad writing comment back as the Pod and Brienne, Lysa and Sansa , cersei and Tywin scenes were all well written and we'll acted.

It's happened more than once where I can't remember what Tywin said. It's more Dance's commanding body language and intonation that does it for me.

Danaerys and the child on the cross was the last straw for me, plenty of actresses could have made that scene work (I could easily see Lena knock that scene out of the park).

Sometimes it is the direction...but I think you only notice it with actors who aren't that good.

You would never think Charles Dance can't act, no matter what kind of direction he got. But, actors who aren't very talented are more dependent on good direction, with poor direction their flaws are much more noticeable.

Yeah Dance is quite a veteran actor, and can, like some of the others on the show, finesse a bad line of dialog.

Clarke can be good, seemed all of season one she was fine. She does seem a rookie at times; maybe they did 20 takes of her saying the ‘rule’ line… who knows. It’s so odd, she did not miss a beat Season 3 Episode 4, Dracarys, both facial expression, and body language and the spoken HV just seem spot on to me.

In season 3 episode 8 while watching in hiding , she delivers good lines, I liked “A man who fights for gold can't afford to lose to a girl” , delivered in a dreamlike inflection.

She can do it… seems a few tyro’s mistakes at times.

I liked Clarke's voice when she said "You are my most trusted advisor and friend", but yeah she could but a bit more relaxed when talking in private.

That's what I meant by "Game of Thrones' Kristen Stewart".

Her acting is always stiff, her voice is alway hard, her facial expression is always the same (and when it isn't, it seems unnatural, the smile when she heard that Joffrey died or the worried face when Daario fought the champion, for example).

It's happened more than once where I can't remember what Tywin said. It's more Dance's commanding body language and intonation that does it for me.

Danaerys and the child on the cross was the last straw for me, plenty of actresses could have made that scene work (I could easily see Lena knock that scene out of the park).

I hate Cersei but I got super emotional in her scene when she was missing Myrcella and she teared up - that was quality acting and Emilia just can't even compete at all.

The delivery on the "I will do what queens do ..." line was very cheesy, but the rest of the scene wasn't bad.

Her interaction with Daario, for instance ... the very subtle irritation she displayed was spot on.

I really don't think Emilia's as bad as everyone says. I think the writer's just have this tendency to change moments that should be solemn, and try to make them sound triumphant and regal in the end (like with the Mysha scene).

Her explanation that she can't rule seven kingdoms if she can't rule slaver's bay was handled well. It was just that last line. Unfortunately it was the last line she speaks, so it's what sticks with people.

I hate Cersei but I got super emotional in her scene when she was missing Myrcella and she teared up - that was quality acting and Emilia just can't even compete at all.

I take back part of what I said about Emilia's acting being mostly the director's fault. Some of you have made good arguments, that other actors on the show still manage to pull off impressive performances, even though they're given shitty dialogues. Stephen Dillane is a prime example of this, he's fantastic as Stannis with or without good lines.

And I find that Lena Headey gives us a very subtle performance of the Show version of Cersei. You might not like what they have done with her character, but her acting is good.

I don't think Emilia is as bad an actress as her line delivery suggests. Instead I'd classify her as an average actress who can't really lift the material to a new level. Combine that with the trailer-dialogues she's given and you have a bad performance.

I take back part of what I said about Emilia's acting being mostly the director's fault. Some of you have made good arguments, that other actors on the show still manage to pull off impressive performances, even though they're given shitty dialogues. Stephen Dillane is a prime example of this, he's fantastic as Stannis with or without good lines.

And I find that Lena Headey gives us a very subtle performance of the Show version of Cersei. You might not like what they have done with her character, but her acting is good.

I don't think Emilia is as bad an actress as her line delivery suggests. Instead I'd classify her as an average actress who can't really lift the material to a new level. Combine that with the trailer-dialogues she's given and you have a bad performance.

Right.

She's not "bad"...she's okay...but without very careful direction, she tends to flounder when she has to do something beyond regal/stoic...

Same here, momma's love crosses all boundaries of good and evil.

Hodor's actor can say only one word...... and yet manages to but so many different emotions into that word.

I fuckin LOVE that guy. Now if only Bran's actor was as good maybe id actually care about their journey.

Archived